What exactly is cholesterol?

hopeful

I tried doing a search and I can't seem to get to the bottom of this. Is cholesterol moisturizing, protein or both? My natural hair does not like protein very much so I'm trying to avoid it. What does cholesterol do for your hair? I was thinking about getting this product (see below) for deep conditioners but I'm not sure. Any advice, suggestions? Any naturals with 4a/b hair use this product? If I used it I would probably add warm evoo and put on a plastic cap for 30 minutes to an hour.

alex4548.gif

I may be wrong, but I'll give it a shot...Cholesterol, like the cholesterol in your body is a fatty substance, so I think what it does in provide lipids to the hair shaft which will help to make it more supple.

I think most cholesterols have some form of protein in them, you can try looking for the ones with softer proteins like collagen or wheat. I not totally natural right now...about 70%, but cholesterol works great for me, That one in the pic with Aloe is realy good for detangling and I believe it has collagen, so it wont harden the hair.

HTH

CheerBear said:
I may be wrong, but I'll give it a shot...Cholesterol, like the cholesterol in your body is a fatty substance, so I think what it does in provide lipids to the hair shaft which will help to make it more supple.

I think most cholesterols have some form of protein in them, you can try looking for the ones with softer proteins like collagen or wheat. I not totally natural right now...about 70%, but cholesterol works great for me, That one in the pic with Aloe is realy good for detangling and I believe it has collagen, so it wont harden the hair.

HTH

I agree with Cheerbear's definition.:up:

Cholesterol

Cholesterol, a white, waxy, fat-like substance, is required by your body in small amounts for such functions as building cells. To do its work, it is transported throughout the body through the blood vessels.

Source: http://www.endocrinologist.com/choles.htm

hopeful said:
I tried doing a search and I can't seem to get to the bottom of this. Is cholesterol moisturizing, protein or both? My natural hair does not like protein very much so I'm trying to avoid it. What does cholesterol do for your hair? I was thinking about getting this product (see below) for deep conditioners but I'm not sure. Any advice, suggestions? Any naturals with 4a/b hair use this product? If I used it I would probably add warm evoo and put on a plastic cap for 30 minutes to an hour.

alex4548.gif

For the most part, cholesterol is moisturizing/conditioning the hair, it is fat. Most cholesterol conditioners contain a little protein further down the list to strengthen the hair, which is primarily made of keratin, a protein.

Therefore cholesterol conditioners are both moisturizing and strengthening.

The Le Kair conditioner above is excellent for deep conditioning as it also contains aloe vera, a plant rich in vitamins and well known for its ability to penetrate deeply into cells.

Adding EVOO or a good oil will give you extra moisturizing benefits making the hair supple.:)

Last edited:
Thanks CheerBear and Baileyscream for your responses. More responses would really be appreciated too. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
hopeful said:
Thanks CheerBear and Baileyscream for your responses. So, is cholesterol more like a thick oil then? Not so much protein or moisture? More responses would really be appreciated too. Thanks in advance!

You're welcome.
Yes, cholesterol is more of a thick oil/fat and yellow in color...think of animal fat and you have the right idea, it's usually yellow.

hopeful said:

alex4548.gif
I don't know about protein but what it does for me is to put back the elasticity into my hair!!!:yep:
That is when the hair bounces, when slightly stretched, back like a rubber band! That helps it not to break!:yep: I use it as a pre-poo & pre-relaxer, mainly with a heating cap for deep penetration!! It has been wonderful & I love it. It doesn't make my hair hard like the protein conditioners so I wouldn't say that it has protein, at least not Queen Helene's Cholesterol!
-HTH:look:

Ashee said:
I don't know about protein but what it does for me is to put back the elasticity into my hair!!!:yep:
That is when the hair bounces, when slightly stretched, back like a rubber band! That helps it not to break!:yep: I use it as a pre-poo & pre-relaxer, mainly with a heating cap for deep penetration!! It has been wonderful & I love it. It doesn't make my hair hard like the protein conditioners so I wouldn't say that it has protein, at least not Queen Helene's Cholesterol!
-HTH:look:

Thanks Ashee. Sounds like it works really well on your hair.

hopeful said:
Thanks Ashee. Sounds like it works really well on your hair.
Yes, it has really helped with breakage so even if my hair dries hard, I treat it with kid gloves & add more moisture... Once it sucks up the moisture, I see the elasticity again!:yep:
I hope you find it to work for you too!:thumbsup:

Sorry to go off topic a bit but how long do you keep it on when using it as a deep conditioner?

missyT said:
Sorry to go off topic a bit but how long do you keep it on when using it as a deep conditioner?
Depending on how much time I have I go for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Once I was so busy chatting on LHCF that it was almost 2 hours...:lol:
I do this before I poo or CW! It helps me...
I also add essential oils, especially Garlic, to add some more help!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for asking this, because just yesterday I was contemplating the purchase of this product, since it is part of the Crown and Glory method. I haven't bought it yet, but I'll file this info away for future reference.

Cholesterol for me is like hair crisco.
You do realize that there is protein the the green Le Kair Plus, right? It's not very strong but just to give a heads up.
I bought both LeKairs after reading the recs from the Crown and Glory site. I like both for moisturizing but they don't do much for slip IMO.

For some reason cholesterol does nothing benefical for my hair. Hence I dropped or trashed the ones I had. One of my LeKair started to grow mold.

balisi said:
Thanks for asking this, because just yesterday I was contemplating the purchase of this product, since it is part of the Crown and Glory method. I haven't bought it yet, but I'll file this info away for future reference.

Hi,

I'm also thinking about buying it. Can someone tell me where I can buy this product? I've checked my local Sally's and they don't carry it.

xippy said:
Hi,

I'm also thinking about buying it. Can someone tell me where I can buy this product? I've checked my local Sally's and they don't carry it.
CVS; Duane Reade, BSS, Walgreens, Walmart...
The hair care isle!!
:look:

Ashee said:
CVS; Duane Reade, BSS, Walgreens, Walmart...
The hair care isle!!
:look:

Thanks, Ashee. It is difficult to find black hair care products in my city. Even Sally's only has small section devoted to black hair care.

xippy said:
Thanks, Ashee. It is difficult to find black hair care products in my city. Even Sally's only has small section devoted to black hair care.
You're welcomed!!
If you rather I'm sure those places will mail them to you...
drugstore.com (belongs to Rite Aid) or walgreens.com

Back