What exactly is a reconstructor?

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I want to make sure I am doing everything I need to have healthy hair. Is this something I need as part of my regimen? How often? At what point during my regimen should I use it? Also some examples of reconstructors would be helpful. Preferrably natural or organic products but any you know of would be great. TIA!

Do you mean like Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor?? It has heavy proteins (amino acids) that infuse into your hair to "restructure it" from what I understand. Of course, there's no permanent change, but it's supposed to improve your hair over time.

I found this product to be a little strong for me. I'm only going to use a reconstructor before flat-ironing or chemical services & I don't think I need hard protein at all.

^^Yes! I've heard other people mention other reconstructors on the board. Is it the same as a protein tx?

Basically it's the protein version of a moisturizing deep conditioner. It can either be a mild or medium strength and can be used regularly. "Regularly" depends on the state of your hair and what you want it to do for you. It's needed more so if you have fine stands, relaxed/color-treated hair, or hair that is otherwise fragile or vulnerable.

Hardcore protein treatments are different and are often confused in conversation. These are usually straight protein.

Reconstructors do have moisturizers mixed in to help balance the hair.

Basically it's the protein version of a moisturizing deep conditioner. It can either be a mild or medium strength and can be used regularly. "Regularly" depends on the state of your hair and what you want it to do for you. It's needed more so if you have fine stands, relaxed/color-treated hair, or hair that is otherwise fragile or vulnerable.

Hardcore protein treatments are different and are often confused in conversation. These are usually straight protein.

Reconstructors do have moisturizers mixed in to help balance the hair.

Great explanation. :yep:

Nexxus KerapHix is a restorative protein crème reconstructor

Here is a description from the Nexxus site: Amino Acids and Elastins join forces within a formula that fortifies weakened hair by aiding the smoothing of damaged cuticle and cortex layers while increasing elasticity to help prevent breakage. Meanwhile, hair’s crucial moisture balanced is restored.

Its a 3-minute treatment, much like ApHogee's 2-minute treatment.

Hope this helps.:yep:

Thank you MizzDebbi, Artemis, and Baddison. I am relaxed so I would definitely benefit from it. I love Hairveda and she (BJ) has a new product coming out that I believe may qualify as a reconstructor. I will post the description in a minute.

Here is the description:

"HairVeda's Methi Sativa Tea Deep Conditioner is a rich Protein & Indian herbs infused conditioner designed for damaged hair. 16oz.

Our Methi Tea Recovery Conditioner adds much needed moisture to create a balance of strength and softness to your hair. 16oz.

Use together to get the best results"

Here is the description:

"HairVeda's Methi Sativa Tea Deep Conditioner is a rich Protein & Indian herbs infused conditioner designed for damaged hair. 16oz.

Our Methi Tea Recovery Conditioner adds much needed moisture to create a balance of strength and softness to your hair. 16oz.

Use together to get the best results"

Sounds good :yep: You could either use both weekly or alternate the treatments each week. Experiment with it to see which method works best for you.

Back