What does your New Growth look like?

ccd

and feel like?
Could someone please describe new growth for the 3's and 4's. I'm a little confused about what these looks/feel like with relaxed hair.

AND

When you wash and air dry relaxed hair, do all types "curl" up? or does one "curl" up more than the other?

Mine grows in coils, which are small slender curls to me. When it's wet, it stretches out and is similar to a kinky wave, but once dry, it's springy again.

I'm 4a.

I'm a 4A/B my new growth looks like the spring from a pen (does anyone know what I'm talking about) it's a coil, a small ringlet if you will. My relaxed hair will not curl up when wet like some others, when my hair gets wet it just gets wet and if I airdry it and don't comb it out it will get a very slight irregular large "wave" pattern, but nothing like real wavy hair and definitely not something I'd wear as a style.
smile.gif

Ooops, my bad, she was talking about relaxed hair? LOL!
rofl.gif

My relaxed hair is straight when wet. Once dry, some underprocessed parts will wave/curl up while others just frizz a little.
barf.gif
In order to get a wet-n-wavy style going, I have to add some sort of gel and then scrunch it.

Hope this is clearer.
laugh.gif

thanks ladies...for a minute I thought I was asking a silly question.....the spring from a pen (I definitely get that)
smile.gif

mine looks wierd. I have a bunch of little "springfromapen" ringlets that go frizzy when dry, with some bigger curls a little smaller than the diameter of my pinky here and there.

My 4a/b new growth is tightly coiled but realy soft; the rest curls up in a cute wavy pattern that's not really tight but not really loose (can't really describe it better
confused.gif
) but I could do the wash & go thing if I put extra conditioner on my ends. Other wise they get frizzy.

I think I'm 4a too. When my new growth comes in, it makes itty bitty waves up until it gets to a certain length, then it starts curling into the pen spring-type curls. They're really soft and fun to play with right in the top/back of my head. I think I might have some 4b around the sides cuz it's a little less coily and more "kinky."

My hair is fully relaxed so when it air-dries it is pretty straight if I just leave it hanging down during the drying process--like in my avatar.

I usually am a 4b meaning my new growth is pure kink,no wave pattern whatsoever.But I have little waves due to MSM now.My relaxed hair doesnt curls up at all when wet.

well in the front to the middle it get the coils....in the middle to the back i get a much wavier texture, big curls...the back is always much easier to deal with

Interesting that you ask this question. I've always thought I was a 4A, but since using the Sta-Sof-Fro and SCurl, my new growth feels more like 3A/B! So I don't know what I am anymore!! Maybe my hair was just dry and I assumed I was a 4A. But I've had my hair natural and long and I thought I was a 4A then too. My newgrowth is soft and has a spongy/cottony feel to it. It seems more like a deep wavy than curly. But you can definitely tell the relaxed hair from the newgrowth hair. Hope this helps! Actually this thread helped me a little. Now I think I've just created a new category for myself.......I'm 3D! Tee Hee! :-)

My 4b newgrowth looks like tightly packed springs from a pen (thanks Ms. Keenesha). The relaxed part is very straight and silky looking.

pooh123

my newgrowth looks like loose springs. so i guess i'm type 4a. when i airdry my relaxed hair is dries real wavy and if i add some mousse to it i can wear it as a style.

My new growth is a combo of tight waves and "pen springs". I'm 4a (mostly) with soft hair.

As for your second question:
If you have resistant hair and you get a relaxer, it doesn't take all of your wave away it only relaxes the wave so that when you wet it, it will wave or curl up.
If you don't have resistant hair your hair will get bone straight with a relaxer UNLESS you use a mild(er) relaxer or texturizer.

My hair used to be bone straight when wet but I grew it out naturally for a while and decided to relax it again and now I can do the shake and go thing. After it dries I fluff it up and it is a huge puffy textured fro which I love.

I don't know what type I am, but I don't have "springs" or coils, it just comes out in a "S" shape....what type am I then?
look.gif

When I used to wear individuals I could really see how my new growth came in. It was so nice, like little shiny, healthy ringlets that grew in a coil. Since I've been taking MSM and recently started surging, the new growth doesn't come in like ringlets, it's more like soft baby hair - it's a different kind of new growth.

[ QUOTE ]
LuLu said:
I don't know what type I am, but I don't have "springs" or coils, it just comes out in a "S" shape....what type am I then?
look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you are in the 2s...

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LuLu said:
Really? Where can I find more info on type 2's??

[/ QUOTE ]

Lulu I think if you go to the top of this board they explain the all of the different types with photos.....

CocoaCure: this thread has Really helped me....thanks you all for responding.

My new growth comes in as pen size waves (during my 7-9 weeks post relaxer)....which i didn't understand because I've often heard of coils, but I never really saw that....so maybe when I wait to get a relaxer I'll see my full new growth, but I think I'm 4a too but course so it can get pretty thick up in there!
smile.gif

When I wash and go, I definitely put a leave in con. to stop the frizzes from showing up...but usually even after a relaxer my relaxed hair still waves up so I guess the resistant thing explains that......

THANKS Everyone!!!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dutchess said:
When I used to wear individuals I could really see how my new growth came in.

BTW: Dutchess what are individuals???

Im 4a/4b/4c. Most of my head is very tight wave pattern/very silky feeling . . . My hairline and around my ears are tight spring pattern.

my new growth comes as a combo of waves and pen coil springs (coils only in the back). I have a pic of my newgrowth in my picturetrail. Never been sure what the heck I was. if I let it airdry, the newgrowth is soft, wavy/coily with low shine (no product) but easy to comb thru.I've noticed the longer some of my waves get that they start forming fat tendrils and some of those tendrils will begin to roll vertically on itself as if it were immitating a hand rolled wavy cigarette and if I want to separate a single hair I have to unroll it. the relaxed part is straight after washing then as it airdries, starts a super loose wave and thickening out until I have this cool thick mass of hair. nice if I want to leave it down but I'm screwed if I want to do a ponytail!

My hair type is 4b and the newgrowth looks like very tightly packed springs from a pen. On the edges its not so tightly packed, so the springs are more defined.

My hair looks several ways :
the hairline in the front is pure kinks,
the hairline in the back looks like the pen springs only when I have a braid on them to pull them down othe wise it just coils up,
the top/crown part looks like frizzy white girl hair,
the back (and the amjority of my hair) is coily

Back