What does your man use in his hair? Do they need protein?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Just wondering... Do men really need protein products for their hair? I don't like my DBF's regimen. He uses Motions shampoo and conditioner and pink oil moisturizer (I cringe on the pink oil).:nono: He uses Just For Men color to touch up his greys every now and then and his hair is kinda hard and dry.

Of course whenever I get the chance I rub some Hawaiian Silky 14-1 on it and it feels good :lick:. But that's only when I'm there. Otherwise, he's committed to his pink oil moisturizer.

I told him to ditch the permanent color and try rinses instead but he feels like if it ain't broke don't fix it. I didn't stress too much on the permanent color since he has a brand new batch of hair probably once a month anyway. But I'm thinking that since he keeps it low and gets it cut every two weeks or so and obviously is not going for growth, does he reallly need protein products??? Can I just tell him to ONLY use moisturizing products, including the shampoo, conditioner AND daily moisturizers???

I know too much protein makes my hair hard so I'm wondering if that's the case with him. Do men need a balance also if they're not trying to grow it long?

TIA

I'm not no expert but I believe they need as much attention to their hair as we do when it comes to protein & moisture and just overall hair care. My DH neglect his hair for years..never moisturized it never conditioned and he's bald now..and now tries to moisturize a bald head so yeah I think they should keep up w/ a good hair care regimen as well...(That is if they want healthy hair period) :-/

So to answer he uses my seyani hair butter along w/ trader joes nourish spa and not too sure which shampoo..

Last edited:
I don't think so. My SO will leave his alone and chop it off every six months or so. He has beautiful hair and he only uses Suave 2-in-1. And he blow dries daily. Yes.... he makes me so sick. :lol:

My DH cuts his hair every week, but he uses VO5's clarifying shampoo on his hair and body (he says he feels cleaner). He also uses my coconut oil on his hair. I just think moisture for his hair and scalp is good because he tends be 'flaky'

My SO washes his hair with whatever he can get his hands on.. Thank God I keep my products far away.. He recently started using the 2 in 1 products for body and hair..uses my "did not work" products as his leave in and he still needs a hair cut every week without fail

dh uses all the oils in the cabinet.... he cuts his hair down - or off - ( I like that) but always oils his scalp. He uses Califorinia Baby products.

i have started to do my SO hair. before i started he went to the hair dressers on a regular basis, so i have no idea what she used in his hair.
he has neck length dreads, so we have tried to build a reggie for him and so far so good.
i will wash with baking soda, and rinse thoroughly, sprits moisture (moisture milks, distilled water and EVOO mix) and then i will proceed tighteníng his hair with Jamaican Mango Lime Locking creme Wax and sit him under the dryer.
He uses Jamaican Mango Lime sprits on his scalp and hair daily (or so he claims)
I want to start giving him scalp massages now and then since he doesnt brush there is little blood circulation.

DH has his locs done at the salon (not sure what they use) but when he washes at home he uses my products. Right now he is using Shea Moisture leave-in on his scalp and he was using a tea tree based moisturizer on his scalp.

I have never seen or heard him talk about using a protein treatment but I know that he has had steam treatments at the salon.

My husband has a low cut, and he likes to keep it that way. He cuts regurlarly every 2/3 weeks. He washes with Suave Naturals Coconut, and he uses my Vatika Coconut Hair oil every single day. Thats it. *sigh* wish it were that easy for me....LOL!

I'm not no expert but I believe they need as much attention to their hair as we do when it comes to protein & moisture and just overall hair care. My DH neglect his hair for years..never moisturized it never conditioned and he's bald now..and now tries to moisturize a bald head so yeah I think they should keep up w/ a good hair care regimen as well...(That is if they want healthy hair period) :-/

So to answer he uses my seyani hair butter along w/ trader joes nourish spa and not too sure which shampoo..

:lachen:That is tooo funny!!! I gotta get working on him then.

Thanks!

My SO washes his hair with whatever he can get his hands on.. Thank God I keep my products far away.. He recently started using the 2 in 1 products for body and hair..uses my "did not work" products as his leave in and he still needs a hair cut every week without fail

I know what you mean about keeping your good products away. My ex would use my good products and I had to hide them. So for him I try to load off my "did not work" products also and he always says he doesn't like them, he likes his pink oil moisturizer :wallbash:

Thanks!

i have started to do my SO hair. before i started he went to the hair dressers on a regular basis, so i have no idea what she used in his hair.
he has neck length dreads, so we have tried to build a reggie for him and so far so good.
i will wash with baking soda, and rinse thoroughly, sprits moisture (moisture milks, distilled water and EVOO mix) and then i will proceed tighteníng his hair with Jamaican Mango Lime Locking creme Wax and sit him under the dryer.
He uses Jamaican Mango Lime sprits on his scalp and hair daily (or so he claims)
I want to start giving him scalp massages now and then since he doesnt brush there is little blood circulation.

You know I never thought about the fact that with dreads you don't brush. I'm sure he LOOOOOVES the scalp massages. Sounds like you really keep him on point.

Thanks!

My SO uses bar soap to wash his hair and it grows like a weed :nono: Just not far at all

EEEK! Bar soap!! I remember doing that when I was a kid. That's up there with the Vaseline on the scalp :nono:

But I know what you mean, their hair grows like weeds no matter what they do.

Current is baldie.

Former actually hooked me to coconut oil. Pro sheen $2 for a jar that he brought abroad so I was all too excited to see it in a BSS one day. First time I realized that coconut oil was good for "our" hair.

A lot of men use whatever. One guy friend was growing his hair out, ran out of poo, knocked on my door for more, and would not give back my precious keracare for dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Until he used it, he didn't realize that all poos are not created equally. After that, he swiped his mother's Motions and held on to her stuff. I guess that Pert Plus 2 in 1 no longer cut it :lol:

Current is baldie.

Former actually hooked me to coconut oil. Pro sheen $2 for a jar that he brought abroad so I was all too excited to see it in a BSS one day. First time I realized that coconut oil was good for "our" hair.

A lot of men use whatever. One guy friend was growing his hair out, ran out of poo, knocked on my door for more, and would not give back my precious keracare for dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Until he used it, he didn't realize that all poos are not created equally. After that, he swiped his mother's Motions and held on to her stuff. I guess that Pert Plus 2 in 1 no longer cut it :lol:

:lachen:Yeah, I always thought most men used whatever also. And girl, you gave up the keracare?? I would have tossed him the VO5 in a quite minute.

My SO doesn't do a thing to his hair and he has the best hair texture. The only thing he'll do is wash with a dandruff shampoo after a hair cut. Other than that, he doesn't moisturize or anything. He wont go bald either, his dad is in his 60's has the same head of hair and had plenty of it.

:lachen:Yeah, I always thought most men used whatever also. And girl, you gave up the keracare?? I would have tossed him the VO5 in a quite minute.

I didn't use anything else at the time. Kera was it for me (still is except I now use VO5 just to clarify).

Next time, I'd just tell him to use baking soda...."like boy, you know natural is the way to go" :lol:

My SO uses motions poo and that's it. Not moisturizer,no oils nuffin! And his hair is nice and soft. He does get it cut abt every 2 wks

DH is using my Keracare dry and itchy shampoo and glycerine water mix. I caught him dc the other day and he’s also picking a hair inspiration (John Morrison).

My sweetie cuts his hair every 2/3 weeks as well. He "washes" his hair everyday when he showers with body wash :perplexed. If his hair is itchy then he shampoos it with something clarifying. Occasionally, he will use Chi Silk Infusion (mine) and oil for shine. He has it very easy! I almost forgot...his hair grows very fast.

Last edited:
hmmm he sneaks into my kuz dry and porous leave in spray lol! it makes his hair very soft and helps with the dry flakes.

normally he just uses head and shoulders and sulfur hair oil.

My DH will wash with whatever I buy which right now is Giovanni smooth as silk. I asked him recently how often he conditions because his hair seems kind of dry to me (he only puts grease in when he's dressed up). He told me every time he showers, so I asked how long he leaves it on and he said "you're supposed to leave it on??" :wallbash::wallbash: :perplexed:ohwell:

I don't think he uses anything in his hair except shampoo and it's fairly dry and very thick. I think our children's hair will be luscious! I told him I'm going to buy him some stuff but he said he won't use it. He'll spend money on my hair products though...go figure...

DH uses whatever I leave in the shower and Wildroot (yeah he's old school) or my cocoshealoe mix...whatever is handy. Once in a while if i'm oiling my scalp he'll ask but it's more for attention than him actually needing it. :yep:

My husband has long dreds. Sometimes I give him products to use, but he has never used them. He has BC'd and his dreds grew back super long...and quick. He is a classic example on how leaving your hear along will show the growth.

His dreds are MBL now and that is within two years from a short afro.

Back