What does it mean to Fear the Lord

ChasingBliss

I have always been confused on what this meant. I know God does not want you to be scared of Him. Has anyone ever been confused by this?

Hmm, I take it as more of respecting his authority and judgement because WE are his creations, not the other way around, and he controls our life. Yes that could be something to fear, but if you have a loving and open relationship with the Lord, there is no need for anything to be "scary."

i used to be confused about that when i was a child but it means, to me, that God is all knowing and powerful. he can raise you as high as the mountains and take you as low as the pits in the earth. . he has the ability to give and take away. create and destroy. he is also a merciful God

I feel as though it's moreso an attitude of deep respect, as one might have for royalty. That's why I hate to hear people call Jesus or God by a nickname, slang name or as the t-shirt says "Jesus is my homeboy". Hate that!

Fear is a deep respect/reverence for the Lord. I also take it to mean we are to fear what He could do. For instance, when we sin and we know we have and we keep going on like we did nothing without repenting, He has mercy but He has to punish us. So, fear of God makes you think twice about doing the things you do and the consequences that goes along with it.

Thanks ladies, I have come to the same conclusions lately. Having respect and reverence is how I am starting to see it as well. I just wanted to know what others thought of this. The Bible never really the meaning of 'fear' clear. At the same time it does point out where having 'fear' reaps great things.

To me, fearing God can't be looked at in the literal sense. IMO, fearing God is to know that "He is God and besides Him, there is no other". To fear God in the literally sense would go against His Word which clearly states in 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind". I think that fear God is to realize how great God really is. When you begin to read and understand who God really is and as God begin to reveal Himself to you, you will begin to fear Him but only because you will see how great He is. You will fear God when you understand who He really is. Also some of the ladies have already pointed out that it is to reverence Him which is also true.

The Bible says in Proverbs 1:7 - "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

We gain understanding of this by first knowing who God is and we can only do that by having a one on one personal relationship with Him. He has made this way for us through His Son, Jesus Christ.

He gives us instuctions on how to live our lives by His Holy Spirit. As we begin to hear His voice, He reveals His plans for our lives and then we can become the ambassadors for His Kingdom, which will never have an end. Amen.

The reverential fear of the Lord is not something that we have to be afraid of...if we are His children and the sheep of His pasture, its the beginning of knowing Him and all His fulness and Glory. That's awesome stuff! We get to know our God personally and to know that He loves us...that's something to Praise Him about...Glory to the Most High God!!!

Back