what does it mean if my hair breaks more when wet?

Leslie_C

Most of you suggest only combing when wet, however I seem to lose the most hair when its wet(it snaps easily). I use a wide tooth comb and a detangler but Im really afraid of wetting my hair too much bc thats when I lose the most. I dont know what it normal but I get several hairs in the comb and in the shower drain. When I put them all together is looks like a small cotton ball's worth.

Is this considered excessive? I usually wash once a week...Id like to start washing once as well as 1-2 CO washes but my hair is so fragile when wet Im not sure if it will do more harm than good.

Do you think my hair is overprocessed or possibly just porous or too elastic when wet?

Ive had some dryness and breakage issues lately but its improving...I was losing quite a bit of hair through manipulation when it was dry too but now its mostly only when wet....

would CO washes be a good or bad idea? what about protein to make it stronger?

You'll probably need to do a proetin treatment. I'm not into heavy proteins, but rather, use conditioners and leave-ins that have protein in them. You just need to find the right moisture/protein balance. What is your regimen and what products do you use?

how do you detangle? do you start from the end of your hair and work up to the root? do you saturate your hair with conditioner b/f detangling?
when was the last time you did a protein treatment? that may be what you need

Yeah I think you are probably right. Usually I wash once a week with Design Essentials moisture retention or NTM, condition with motions moisture plus or NTM, use a leave in, and air dry or set under dryer.

I surge daily and moisturize with Elasta QP recovery and S curl...and I wear my hair in braid outs a lot and up in a clip a lot.

I just started this routine, the other day I pretreated overnight with olive oil and cholesterol, then the next day I washed and conditioned with GPB and then used my design 6 in 1 reconstructor. It seemed to help with the excessive shedding Ive been having when dry, but every time I wet it at all, I pull little hairs out just by touching it. but It did help so maybe I just need to continue the protein to get it stronger?

Natural Girl, yes I detangle from the ends up and am careful, but it comes out easily. i just dont get why its easier to comb without losing a ton of hair after its mostly dry than when wet...it makes me not want to wet it at all...lol:)

Since you're wearing your hair mostly up and in baid-outs, that means you're not combing your hair everyday right? Well, since you're not combing it daily, you'll see a lil more hair when you finally do.

Sounds like you have a pretty good regime going with some quality products.

Check your comb too. It should be a wide tooth comb for detangling, preferably seamless. Combs with seams can snag and break your hair. Some of the ladies here use seamless bone combs.

No, wet combing doesn't work for me either.
nono.gif

I comb my hair in the shower while the water is running down. The I let it airdry. I will comb it every 30 minutes or so, to help detangle it, because it will break if I try to comb it while it's super wet, after the shower.

My hair does this too and its been stressing me out. So whats the consensus, does conditioner washing with hair in this condition do more harm than good?

Leslie, I had the same problem as you, everyone seems comb their hair in the shower and have no problem with it but my hair is stronger when it's dryer. Now what I do is wash and condition with my hair in loose braids, maybe 8 of them, to prevent it from tangling. I wait until it dries out a bit and then I comb it, or detangle with my fingers as I'm putting my leave ins in, and I lose way less hair when I do it this way. I tried using Aphogee to strengthen my hair and it worked pretty well, but generally I try to avoid combing it too much because its just naturally fragile.

Do you eat anoth iron in your diet? Because I wasn't and everytime I would comb my hair wet, or dry, lots of hair would come out. But now since i'm eating a lil bit more iron in my diet its not like anymore. Hair still comes out but not as much.

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
i just dont get why its easier to comb without losing a ton of hair after its mostly dry than when wet...it makes me not want to wet it at all...lol:)

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt the same way last summer... I can tell that the protein I've been using since then has helped my hair a lot because nowadays I get hardly any hair in my comb during wet hair detangling!! I used to get stressed out whenever it was detangling time, but thank goodness, those days are over!!
grin.gif

Back