what does healthy ends look like to you?

Evolving78

what do you consider healthy ends? and does blunt ends equal healthy ends? are blunts ends just a look that people are going for? and for those that feel they are doing everything right, are you chopping off progress for ends that are not blunt?

^^^i agree. i also feel that the older the hair gets, it will need to be trimmed. ends that are wispy or tapered off are split too. personally, i think blunt ends look nice, but that doesn't equal healthy. and they don't stay blunt for long. hair that is cut will fan out.

when you say thick and even, do you mean the overall length of the hair?

shortdub I've seen women on this site and other sites keep their hair long while their ends are breaking, stringy and hanging on for dear life just for the sake of having long hair. :nono: CUT them ends off!!! Do you know what I mean?

yes i do. it's hard to let go when there is a serious focus on length.

like your ends in your siggy are nice. they are blunt and thick.

They don't have to be blunt for them to healthy. My hair grows in a naturally layered V. I don't know how to explain it but some women have "long" hair but you can actually see the line of demarcation as to where they should cut.

They don't have to be blunt for them to healthy. My hair grows in a naturally layered V. I don't know how to explain it but some women have "long" hair but you can actually see the line of demarcation as to where they should cut.

yes! you can tell where it is unhealthy at. there have been people that have blunt ends, but they still look like they need to cut more.

I don't think they have to be blunt to be healthy; as long as they are not frayed, split, or crispy looking, they are healthy to me. I actually like wispy, "fairy tail" hemlines on really long hair, as long as they are not see-through at a visible line of demarcation, or there are obvious "holes" in the hemline. *end of two cents* :yep:

aaliyah018ik.jpg

The queen of:

Healthy hair
Healthy ends
thick hair
Straight Hair
Relaxed Hair
I could go on.

I'm subscribing to this thread because I'll admit it, my ends are struggling. They are not healthy at all. I do dustings periodically but what I need is a CUT, or a trim at the very least, but I'm too scared. :(

Wait, Aaliyah was relaxed?

I think that while blunt ends do not necessarily always equal healthy ends, it certainly is easier to tell when your ends are NOT healthy if you have a blunt cut.

Aaliyah was relaxed but I hear she did occasional sort weaves.

I just think healthy ends look full and even. You can usually tell healthy ends by their life and not their deadness. I cut when I need to but lately even dusting does enough for me.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

great ends= not see through, thick/full and shaped in any style, v, u(fave aspiration) or blunt
the sharp/stringy v's dont allow the overall look to look full- my opinion :drunk:

Last edited:
I have natural layers and I am growing out from a shed. If my natural hair curls at the ends and is soft and not split that is health enough for me. I don't cut because that is basically now a split end. This system works for me. :yep:

Agreed, blunt ends dont necessarily mean healthy ends or healthy hair. Also, fairytale or natural ends that taper on their own due to not being cut dont mean that the hair is thin or scraggly looking. Each person has their preference. When I had blunt ends I still had haters telling me I needed a trim just because on ONE day I had a bit of frizz from humidity.

People always try to manipulate what is not their own. Im a non trimmer after many years of regular trims and I could care less what anyone thinks. I have not one visible split, the ends arent thin, and Im letting them grow as they please. Will S&D as needed. And when I hit mid-thigh in 2015, I will be happy with MYSELF for not falling into the trap of caring what others think and for ceasing to needlessly cut my hair. Most of those who complain struggle with length anyway.:rolleyes:

There is no point in trimming if there is no damage and you are actively growing to a new goal length. The only reasons for a trim are to maintain a certain length, remove damage, or change the hemline. That is all.

Last edited:
You can usually tell healthy ends by their life and not their deadness.

Completely agree. When I have heat damage, the hair may not be split (yet) but it has no life and doesn't behave well. Generally speaking, if it has life and is not split (mid shaft or ends) then it's healthy in my opinion.

Back