What Do You Use To Keep Your Curls Weighed Down, But Flowing?

After 31 years on this planet, I still cannot figure this out...I don't even know if it is possible.
How do I keep my hair looking like pic A or B 5 or 6 hours into the day? Aussie moist sort of works, but my hair is rigid and stiff when dried.

What do YOU use for weight? Is it possible to have something heavy / that gives definition, but does not make your hair stiff? Am I hoping for the impossible?

ZHair%20transform_zpstxz1jswk.jpg

I use waxy products. Dax pomade, Beeswax softened with oil, Keracare curl wax. Just on the top layer of my curls to finish the style. Takes some practice but I get definition and hold, with individual defined curls. It still moves because the wax is not through out the hair, and I find it co-washes right out. (My hair is 4a with tight spirals and I have a medium size Afro-type style.)

Ok first of all, you have a beautiful head of hair :love:

What I find works for me is using styling cremes/creams and not gels. Styling creams give a nice hold without being crunchy. (an important must for me if I want movement and definition!)

Also the technique that you use makes a big difference too. Shingling is a must, make sure to focus on roots if you don't want the extra volume, because if you just slap on a styler then the roots will be the last to dry and they won't likely clump like the rest of your head. Doing it in sections also helps you get more definition and a more weighed down look, compared to just doing your entire head at once (Roots will have a harder time to dry.) I also find that styling on already previously styled hair is great for definition, because the curls already have a good foundation and are clumped compared to styling from a fresh wash.

Hope that helps!

I'm still trying to master the wash n go but I noticed in a few of your posts you use Aussie Moist. I love AM for slip and use it on occasion when I flat iron. However it is full of silicones which blocks moisture from entering the hair shaft. You need a true moisturizer or leave-in as the first product you put on your hair. If you want a conditioner type leave-in, I like Giovanni direct leave-in. Good moisture and good slip as well.

Thank you guys so much for the advice! I never knew that about Aussie Moist, and now I'm a little heart broken (I've been loyal to that product for about 8 years now). I guess that's to be expected from cheaper products.

Thank you all for the technique and product advice. I've been reading through the forum. There is so much information and so many new terms. It's a tad overwhelming!

I'm still trying to master the wash n go but I noticed in a few of your posts you use Aussie Moist. I love AM for slip and use it on occasion when I flat iron. However it is full of silicones which blocks moisture from entering the hair shaft. You need a true moisturizer or leave-in as the first product you put on your hair. If you want a conditioner type leave-in, I like Giovanni direct leave-in. Good moisture and good slip as well.

I second this. I use Giovanni Direct and it is the truth. Now I bun when I use it so I can't tell you how it lasts. It foams up a bit and then defines my curls very nicely.

If you like Aussie you don't HAVE to stop using it, but if you experiment with some cone-free brands you might notice a difference in your hair that you may have never realized - or you might hate it and go back! All the fun of a healthy hair journey :).

Hey you’ve got lovely hair. You definitely need some type of styler to lock in your curl pattern. Aussie moist is not a styler it is a rinse out conditioner it’s one of my favorite detanglers. I prefer gel. Kinky curly, the mane choice crystal orchid gel, the mane choice tropical moringa braid glaze and Camille rose curl maker are among my favorites. I always pair my gel with a leave in. The gels I mentioned really don’t leave me with chrinchy hair I hate chrunchy hair. Try some cream stylers too. You have try different things and see what works best for you.

Back