What do you guys think of this???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I found the following statement off of this article from this website: http://www.hair-styles.org/hair-grow-long.html

Don't be penny foolish. Buy good quality salon products. The chemicals used in many if not most over the counter shampoos and conditioners, contain very harsh ingredients such as 'ammonium laurel sulfate' which can actually dry your hair out and cause breakage and split ends. Even worse, many contain a form of silicon, and that can be very bad for your hair. 'Pantene' is the worst of these in our opinion.

What do you guys think about Salon products versus OTC products? Are OTC products really that bad? /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

Check out this article on SALON products: http://www.hair-styles.org/are-salon-products-better.html

IMO

Salon products are no better than over the counter products. They are just more expensive. I have come across my fair share of pricey salon conditioners and shampoos that have harsh ingredients...preservatives...and some that are loaded with cones. While I agree with avoiding cheaper condtioners that contain harsh chemicals that that can be drying...I also think that the same can be said about salon brands.

----What do you guys think about Salon products versus OTC products? Are OTC products really that bad?----

This works both ways. Some are bad, some are not. All we, as consumers, have to do is read the ingredients. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just read the ingredients listed before I buy. I avoid ALS and SLS. I will buy products with SLES though, since most of them have it. I don't feel the need to spend out of my budget when I can just buy some Suave or Daily Defense and add honey and coconut oil to it and have fab. results.

I had a really good stylist, but she moved away. She told me that she could tell when people used Pantene products in their hair. She said that she could take a comb and run it down the length of someones hair and see the build up on the comb.

I primarily use salon products. However, I use Pantene Pro-V Instant Defense Detangling Spray, and it works much more effectively than the Kenra Daily Provision I had used prior.

So, it really all depends which chemical combinations in a given product work for your hair.

northernbelle

I agree with NB, it's all individual. I LOVE salon products, and most of the time, salon products are better quality - even if the ingredients seem to be similar to a drugstore brand - in my experience.

BUT - I DO have my drugstore products I just can't live without. Pantene being among them. No harm done on me. I would even go as far as to say that if I had to, I could live with JUST Pantene. It's a great rinse out, deep and leave in cond, and a little water or oil added really makes it good for several uses.

I think it all depends on the person, and the product in question. On some, Pantene will take the cake, and on some, nothing by Nexxus will do.

I also agree that salon products are definitely generally better.
But I love pantene R and N conditioner as a detangler after I condition. I also love proclaim 7 oil which is less than $3. (I use it for everything.) Suave awapuhi is a good product too. As is tressemme mango sealant, FOTE aloe vera gel and jasons sea kelp shampoo.
You just have to experiment /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can tell the difference in results from most OTC and professional products. Salon products work best on my hair, but there are some professional products that don't work well either. I think 90% of my products are "professional", even my Creme of Nature and Fantasia IC products are professional formulas.

All pantene products are terrible on my hair. They make my hair very dry and tangly. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

In my personal experience, salon products are better as far as shampoos/conditioners and things along that line go. No line has been better to me than my beloved Nexxus. The only OTC products I have are Suave M&H, ORS Carrot Oil, Sta Sof Fro, QP Design Foam, and I recently found some old Fantasia IC Leave In under my sink so I will be buying more of that..

i only use salon products.. to me its the difference between a chevy cavalier and a mercedes e class. you get what you pay for.

There are some OTC products that are okay, but in general, salon products are just better quality. I used to only use OTC products and thought that they were fine, but IMO unless you actually use a salon product, then go back and use cheap stuff you won't be able to really see the difference. Pantene products are some of the worst on the market. I will *only* use salon products forever!

Are Elasta QP products OTC or salon??? I'm assuming OTC since you can buy them at any BSS...

Back