What do you do when your hair is soooo nappy....

MissJ

that you can't do anything to it? I was due for a perm last week, but my mom wasn't available. She was helping my cousin move into her apartment. Then I was gonna go home today, but I talked to my sister. She said that my mom went to Atlanta to visit my other sister. *sigh* So, this makes 8 weeks without a perm. I usually get one at 6 weeks. My hair is so nappy and poofy at the root. I don't know how to tame it, and I start my job on Monday. I think I'm gonna look weird. Anybody have any temporary solution?

I don't even know how to do that. I think I'll burn myself! I guess I'll wear it in a protective style, but I hate that the roots are so poofy. It makes me look like I have a really big head or something.
look.gif

Have you tried doing a rollerset? That might help to keep the differences from the two hair textures from standing out too much.
smile.gif

Well, you can use a dryer, but if you don't have one and you're not going anywhere, just let it air dry.
smile.gif

You could also try a braid out or a twist out. Just roll the ends up, and when you unbraid (or untwist), it makes a really cute style. I wore them a lot while transitioning.

To get your roots a little straighter, maybe try applying some oil before blowdrying...if you plan to blowdry.

I think a braidout is a good suggestion. You can wear a wide headscarf or band to disquise the roots.

You can try using a curling iron and some shea butter to straighten the roots ... or mix the shea butter with a little bit of coconut oil. This usually makes my hair look really nice, when it gets that POOFY.

Ballet Bun ...
rosebud.gif

Re: What do you do when your hair is soooo nappy..

You ladies have offered great suggesions
smile.gif

Heat will usually get the job done indeed
smile.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions.

How long does a braid out or a twist out stay? Would I have to change it the next day?

Lately, I redo my braidouts at night...meaning, I rebraid. I only do 3 braids anyway so it isn't a big deal for me. Sometimes if I don't feel like rebraiding, I just clip the hair up on top of my head.

I know what you mean. I'm going through some real nappy days myself while I'm trying to stretch out my days before retouching. For me, the protective buns styles really help. Good luck on Monday!

I would suggest getting one of your conditioners that give you great slip and dong a conditioner wash. I use Pantene S&S and it melt my new growth right down. Also, if you have a phony tail use that with a little of non-alcohol gel for the edges.

Back