What DO they teach in beauty schools these days?

pyxis777

Found this online:

Beauty school presentation on relaxers.
http://community.turi.org/pdf/HairRelaxing.pdf#search=%22hair%20fillers%20relaxer%22

A simple scientific explanation on how relaxers work.
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/index.html?quid=708

Half of these things have never been discussed with me at a beauty salon. And even less of the practices have been done. The only reason I already knew these things about relaxers is because of LHCF!!!!

What is going on with black hairdressers!? Did they flunk out on the chemical relaxer portion of beauty school, or do they just not teach this stuff?

It's a combination of both. When I was interested in going to beauty schools I interviewed at several schools, some schools that were cheaper didn't really practice safe relaxing techniques while others did, I know that it is mandatory for all Beauty schools to teach about chemical services for a specific amount of time I believe 1500 hrs, I can't remember for sure. Anyways it all depends on the school and also the drive of the hairdresser. If he/she is talented and truly cares about hair health then they will practice proper hair dressing procedures. If they could care less then they won't do it right whether or not they were trained properly. Unfortunately I noticed that many of the students at the schools that I visited really didn't seem to care. They were interested in styling as opposed to health. JMO.

That's not good! How could they just blow off the most important (in terms of potential damage to the client) portion of black hair care?

Mess up a woman's style - she's mad, but her hair will grow back. Mess up chemicals - it could damage her scalp for a long time, maybe even permanently!

Alli77 - did you end up going to beauty school?
Do you have a salon now or a salon recommendation for someone who lives in NJ?

pyxis777 said:
That's not good! How could they just blow off the most important (in terms of potential damage to the client) portion of black hair care?

Mess up a woman's style - she's mad, but her hair will grow back. Mess up chemicals - it could damage her scalp for a long time, maybe even permanently!

Alli77 - did you end up going to beauty school?
Do you have a salon now or a salon recommendation for someone who lives in NJ?

It's really sad. I believe this is a major part of why so many black women are walking around with jacked up hair. Not enough stylists out there really care a lot of them are in it for the money sad to say. I didn't go to beauty school, it's still up in the air for me. I cannot recommend a Salon at this time as I do everything myself though. I will be going to Shear Insanity (E. Orange) or Shear Bliss (Morristown) to get my hair colored if you want I'll PM you my results then.

pyxis777 said:
Found this online:

Beauty school presentation on relaxers.
http://community.turi.org/pdf/HairRelaxing.pdf#search=%22hair%20fillers%20relaxer%22

A simple scientific explanation on how relaxers work.
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/index.html?quid=708

Half of these things have never been discussed with me at a beauty salon. And even less of the practices have been done. The only reason I already knew these things about relaxers is because of LHCF!!!!

What is going on with black hairdressers!? Did they flunk out on the chemical relaxer portion of beauty school, or do they just not teach this stuff?

As a recent graduate from cosmetology school (8/3/06), I can honestly tell you it depends on the instructors and the student. I went to school in the evenings and the instructors did not care:eek: . Some would teach only their favorite students while if you were a student that would question the teachings (like me), they didn't want to be bothered:mad: . As long as you shut up and listened like a little kid, they paid attention to you:perplexed . But it didn't bother me much. I had been taking care of my hair for over a year before starting school and had been a member to blackhairmedia.com and LHCF so I new a lot before enrolling. That's why I questioned a lot of things.

But I will agree, a lot of stylists are clueless because they're just "stylists". They can style the heck out of someone's hair, but don't know anything about how to keep the hair healthy.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Back