What do they mean by "underprocessed"?

Crystalicequeen123

Everytime I get a relaxer touchup I tell my stylist to please put only a little relaxer (if any at all) around my edges/sides of my hair because my hair is very fine there and easily relaxed. However, she always tells me that I don't want to have "underprocessed" hair, and proceeds to put the relaxer there anyway. :wallbash:

What do they mean by "UNDERprocessed" hair? :confused: ISn't this the same as tex-laxing your hair? I mean....really.....what is the big deal?? I don't get it. I think my hair was thriving when my old stylist would put the relaxer on my hair quickly, and would work it in for a LITTLE bit, and then take the relaxer out. My hair was thicker, longer, and really growing in nicely! :yep: But ever since I switched to this new stylist, she insists on putting relaxer along my fine edges, and works soooo slowwwly to work the relaxer in. Ughg..... :( I'm thinking of switching. My hair is fine enough as it is!

Is there a danger/harm in not working in the relaxer well/leaving some areas un-relaxed (ie. the edges) until the NEXT relaxer treatment? I'm thinking of asking her (yet again) if she can only relax my edges every OTHER relaxer treatment (every 6 months) instead of every single time, and seeing if this helps any.

What do you ladies think?

If I were you, I would just get a new stylist. She doesn't respect your wishes, plus she applies the relaxer too slow.

I don't really buy into underprocessed as a term. When you get your touch-up the run off will process that 'underprocessed' hair and it all works itself out.

I don't really buy into underprocessed as a term. When you get your touch-up the run off will process that 'underprocessed' hair and it all works itself out.

Hmmm...can you explain what you mean by "run off"??

I agree that maybe I should get a new stylist to put the relaxer in. I like the relaxer I'm getting (DE mild w/shea butter), so I don't think it's the relaxer itself. Unless Design Essentials has made this relaxer stronger over the years (which could be a possibility :scratchch ), my old stylist used to use this same relaxer on my hair, but I had different results (ie. thicker hair) using this relaxer.

If I understand correctly, "underprocessed hair" isn't a bad thing since it's just like tex-laxed hair. My new stylist did say however that "underprocessed hair" wouldn't be able to hold a style well, and it would be poofy and my hair wouldn't look right or something to that effect. She almost made it sound like a BAD thing. Is she right, or is this just another myth perpetuated by the black hair-care industry?? :wallbash:

I mean, I have to admit that when I was getting my hair I guess "tex laxed" by my old stylist, my hair had a hard time in the summer! :lachen: My styles wouldn't hold, and my hair would frizz easier. But when I really think about it, my hair won't really hold a style anyway even these days in the summer! :lol: Plus, even if my hair barely held a style for too long, my hair was THICKER, and was growing like a weed!

*sigh* I'm at a crossroads... :( I don't know what to do, because my old stylist REFUSES to put DE mild w/shea butter in my hair (she doesn't like this relaxer anymore) otherwise, I would just go back to her. But I'm really afraid to try another mild lye relaxer...I can't keep switching relaxers, and the DE seems to work okay for me as long as it's not left on too long like this new stylist is doing. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Underprocessed means that the relaxer didnt "take" or it didnt relax your curl pattern to STRAIGHT STRAIGHT. For example i have hair that is very resistant to relaxers therefore my last relaxer didnt get my hair bone straight. As a result my hair does act a little unruly if it doesnt get blowdried straight. When i go to the salon ALOT of people ask if i am transitioning...NO, its just that my hair is underprocessed so it still has a curl pattern left (about 4-5inches :look:). Its a blessing and a curse because my goal was not to be tex-laxed for the first 4 inches and straight for the rest. If your hair is too straight, it has no elasticity and is more prone to break. You dont want that :nono:

i would get a new stylist so that you can be happy. Sounds like your current one is indeed over processing your hair :imo:

Last edited:
Hmmm...can you explain what you mean by "run off"??

I agree that maybe I should get a new stylist to put the relaxer in. I like the relaxer I'm getting (DE mild w/shea butter), so I don't think it's the relaxer itself. Unless Design Essentials has made this relaxer stronger over the years (which could be a possibility :scratchch ), my old stylist used to use this same relaxer on my hair, but I had different results (ie. thicker hair) using this relaxer.

If I understand correctly, "underprocessed hair" isn't a bad thing since it's just like tex-laxed hair. My new stylist did say however that "underprocessed hair" wouldn't be able to hold a style well, and it would be poofy and my hair wouldn't look right or something to that effect. She almost made it sound like a BAD thing. Is she right, or is this just another myth perpetuated by the black hair-care industry?? :wallbash:

I mean, I have to admit that when I was getting my hair I guess "tex laxed" by my old stylist, my hair had a hard time in the summer! :lachen: My styles wouldn't hold, and my hair would frizz easier. But when I really think about it, my hair won't really hold a style anyway even these days in the summer! :lol: Plus, even if my hair barely held a style for too long, my hair was THICKER, and was growing like a weed!

*sigh* I'm at a crossroads... :( I don't know what to do, because my old stylist REFUSES to put DE mild w/shea butter in my hair (she doesn't like this relaxer anymore) otherwise, I would just go back to her. But I'm really afraid to try another mild lye relaxer...I can't keep switching relaxers, and the DE seems to work okay for me as long as it's not left on too long like this new stylist is doing. :ohwell:

See...that's why I have to do my own hair. It's just too much drama sometimes just to get people to what you want (and are paying for) to YOUR hair.:nono:

Anyway, my hair is texlaxed (intentionally underprocessed), and I could not be happier. It's thicker, stronger and longer than it's ever been in my life...and I have been both natural and fully-relaxed. I don't have any problems with my hair holding styles, and my edges are thick and healthy. In fact, my nape is as long as the rest of my hair. Also, during the touchup process, I drench my previously-processed hair with oil so it's texture is not affected by relaxer runoff.

I am so sorry that you are going through this situation. I hope you're able to find a solution.

Back