What do I do?

OnlyChild

HEEEELP! I'm taking out my sewn in weave that I've been wearing for 2 months this weekend. I don't know where to start. What do I do? What types of products should I use (i.e. reconstructor, ACV rinse, protein treatement) when taking out a weave. What is the order for trying these methods? This is my plan:

unbraid hair and gently comb to remove shedded hairs
hot oil treatment (leave on one hour)
shampoo 2X with moisturizing shampoo
deep conditioner with heat (15-20 minutes)
rinse out deep conditioner with cold water
Leave in conditioner

Please let me know if I forgot any steps. What have you ladies done after taking out a weave or braids? What do I use for moisture afterwards?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
OnlyChild

if your deep conditioner has protein and use rinse with cold water a lot of the protein will remain on top of your hair, dry it out and break it off. so if it does have prtein in it make sure you rinse with lukewarm water very well. apart from that i think a good protein treatment to strenghten followed by a good deep cond with a moisturising cond. is good. remember, 8 weeks is a long time without all these treatments so really strengthen and moisturise your hair. le kair cholesterol is very moisturising and contains protein as well so you can add in some oils and leave it on your head with a cap for 1-2 hours. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is my advice, from my experience. I hope it helps:

1. Don't panic when you see all of the hairs that have shed. You hair is not falling out, these are just hairs that have shed naturally and had no place to go for 2 months while you had the weave in.

2. Cut the threads very carefully. Find someone to help you if you can't do it by yourself. Make sure you cut only the thread, be careful not to catch any of your hair in the scissors.

3. Gently and with great patience, unbraid your hair and finger-comb any tangles using conditioner, not detangler. It should be more moisturizing and provide more slippage.

4. You can do a hot oil treatment, but no ACV rinse right now. It might be too harsh or drying for you hair since it hasn't breathed in 2 months. Wait until next week to do that. Also, forgoe the protein treatment until next week.

5. Wash and condition your hair and use a deep conditioner that has cholesterol. (try Le Kair Cholesterol Plus) Or you can use 100% pure Olive oil if you want extra moisture. Put in your leave-in conditioner and finger-comb and then use a regular comb if necessary. if you don't want to use a leave-in, oil your hair with some Jojoba oil if you have any.

6. NO HEAT.

If you choose to use Olive oil as your deep conditioner, use the 100% pour Olive oil that you buy in a supermarket. Heat the bottle under hot tap water and apply the oil to your scalp when you feel the temp is right. Massage the oil on your scalp and leave on for 10 minutes. Rinse very thoroughly.

Back