What did she put in my hair?

MDinLA

Yesterday,
I went to get a "keratin" treatment. They made it clear at the salon that they do not do the Brazilian Blowout/ keratin. They state it is a treatment that works on all hair, even previously relaxed. They use pravana an another brand they claimed. She washed my hair. Then put the "treatment" on my wet hair , let it sit for 15 minutes. It had quite a strong smell, no eye burning or throat discomfort, just bad smell. Then she washed it out and put some pravana product on my hair. Then blowdry. Then flat ironed. My hair is straight and I am not to wash for 72 hours. All the products she used after the treatment were pravana.

I'm curious for a few reasons:
#1- you know te hairdressers always go to the back and come back with a product in a bowl so you are never sure what you are getting
#2- from Internet videos, keratin in applied to dry hair
#3- the smell was strange
#4- pravana, you can wash the same day

Do any keratin experts know what she might have used?

-Pravana is a cysteine-based straightener, not exactly the same as the original formaldehyde-based treatments. I also think this particular brand is a 2 step process (not sure).

-The bad smells is sulfur and will linger (faintly) for at least 2 washes.

-Applying to damp hair is not so strange - depends on the brand. I like that method better, regardless.

I did a test with strand with another cysteine-based treatment (Chi), that's how I know. Please update us when you rinse it out.

-Pravana is a cysteine-based straightener, not exactly the same as the original formaldehyde-based treatments. I also think this particular brand is a 2 step process (not sure).

-The bad smells is sulfur and will linger (faintly) for at least 2 washes.

-Applying to damp hair is not so strange - depends on the brand. I like that method better, regardless.

I did a test with strand with another cysteine-based treatment (Chi), that's how I know. Please update us when you rinse it out.

Thank you for the info... Especially on the sulfur. Of course my first guess was that it was some formaldehyde product.

But aren't all the non formaldehyde products mostly cysteine based?

The other thing that I did notice which was strange compared to all the info I read was that while she was coming it through after the 15 minute waiting period, my hair was already straight! Before she even blow dried and put a flat iron to it. Is that normal for the cysteine based "treatments"

I would just ask her what it was, and have her explain it o your satisfaction. You have a right to know,it's your hair.

Back