What changes for you when fall/winter mths come?

silenttullip

I cowash more (oddly)
I seal with heavier sealants
I moisturize with thicker moisturizers
I keep glycerin (even in winter its humid here)
I wear my wigs or braids
I wash my hair less and deep condition more

How about you?

I'm curious

I wash less in the winter due to drying but other than that, most everything else remains the same. Oh yeah, I do tend to tie my hair up more in the winter because of all the hat wearing and stuff. Also because I'm wearing coats and stuff and long hair gets caught up in zippers, I find it more convenient to tie it up anyways. You know old man winter is extra, so you gotta let him win....LOL! Summers............I can wash and airdry in the elements but ain't tryin to do that in the winter! Don't want no colds or the flu!

Winter in the UK can be quite harsh, so I'll be doing all I can to keep the moisture up and to protect my hair. I'll start wearing wigs again come November up until February or so. I may straighten my hair for a few days because of the humidity, or lack of it.

My regimen however, as in wash/DC/moisturising/conditioning will stay the same.

The only thing I change in the Winter is I wear more PS's (does that even make sense lol) and I use butters to seal rather than oils. I need the heaviness of the butter to hold in the moisture the oil is best for summer time for my hair.

I use oil on my scalp because I dont have to worry about it melting down my face.
I use coconut oil on my hair because it hardens and forms a nice barrier when I'm out in the cold.
I air dry less because I wont go outside with wet hair like I do in the summer.
I use more topical growth aids to compensate for a slightlynslower growth rate.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DROID2 GLOBAL

I usually co-wash about the same or more, but that's because I start wearing wigs. I also start using butters and heavy creams (like Qhemet products). I also Shampoo less often.

my hair actually needs more moisture in the summer and nore protein in the winter lol.

so in the winter i was and go several times a week(like i do all year around) but i co wash with light to medium proteins instead of moisture moisture moisture. also during the winter i NEVER seal my hair unless im doing a braid out and ill seal my ends while putting the braids in. otherwise its wash and go with leave in and thats it.

this summer i have been sealing dang near everytime i do my hair. and i have been deep conditioning my hair every time i turn around and can go weeks without doing a protein treatment.
during the winter if i co wash every day im doing a protein conditioner like 2x a week.

More rollersets. Running in the summer leaves my hair drenched so I have to co-wash darn near every night to get the sweat out. In the winter, I don't get drenched running in the cold so I can rollerset more.

Protective styling 95% of the time. I'm always pleased with my retention come Spring but I get sick of wigs/half-wigs around early February. :yep:

Winter in the UK can be quite harsh, so I'll be doing all I can to keep the moisture up and to protect my hair. I'll start wearing wigs again come November up until February or so. I may straighten my hair for a few days because of the humidity, or lack of it.

My regimen however, as in wash/DC/moisturising/conditioning will stay the same.

You know thats no lie....
I will be washing every 2/3 weeks
deep condition after every wash with either moisture/protein
protective styling
use heavier sealants Shea butter mixes etc

1. More protective styling
2.Oil my scalp more often
3. Heavier daily moisturizer
4. Seal my ends and baggy

Since I workout reguarly, I will continue the same reggie (cowash 3X week, oil and seal, protective style). But because it is fall/winter months I do not go out as much during these seasons (cold & snow, watch football, less outdoor activities, etc.) less manipulation and less heat on my hair.

-I stop exclusively styling my hair with pomades.

-I stop using my smoothing products.

-I start twisting my hair with creams.

-I wear my winter hat with a satin bonnet underneath it.

In the winter I will continue protective styling and use oil,butters, baggy caps and a satin cap to protect my hair. i wear braids a lot:lachen:

Last edited:
DC about 3 times a week
Sealing with butters
Baggying about 3 times a week
Decreased need for poos- almost strictly CW only during colder months
Silk scarves worn under winter hats
I also use a heavier leave-in than the type I use during the hotter months:yep:.

Oh, and no coconut oil. Olive oil or castor oil instead. I hate helmet head even if it does soften once I get inside.

Back