What Causes the "W" Hair Shape???

lilamae

I suffered from the W Hair Shape Syndrome (WHSS) for years. My hair on the sides would always grow much longer than the hair in the back:nono:.

This ALWAYS led the stylist to cut my hair to the shortest point and held me back from obtaining the long hair I've always wanted.

Since joing LHCF and taking extra special care of my hair ( especially the back) I've have manage to cure myself of WHSS.:yep:

But I'm just curious...does anyone know if this is a result of hair care techniques or hair growth patterns???

I also think it's linked to what you back hairline looks like. I have a widows peak on the back of my neck, so I'll ALWAYS have a V shaped hemline, because that section hangs the lowest.
If you have a back hairline that's shaped like a W (the sides by your ears is the longest, and it hikes up a bit in the middle) - you're going to have a W shaped hemline.

:look: That's another reason why I think trying to keep a blunt cut AND grow your hair out at the same time can be a sisyphean task - your hair simply might not grow that way.

I noticed that a lot of people had it when they first started their hair journey and it turned into a V/U-shape after they started taking care of it. I have this problem too and I don't want to cut my hair, I put it up 24/7 due to this.

How long did it take you guys to cure yourselves of the WHSS?

Well I don't have that shape but I do have a natural v shape and I think that sometimes different sections of your hair grows in at different rates. My nape grows slower than the rest of my hair while my crown area grows the fastest. It makes my ends look thin when they aren't, especially when I am 6+ weeks post touch up. My hair stylist pointed this out to me as she was lecturing me about trimming away my progress in my effort to have blunt ends.

Severe W shapes I think equal breakage. I think mini trims, weekly deep cons with heat and protective styling help turn them around.

I also think it's linked to what you back hairline looks like. I have a widows peak on the back of my neck, so I'll ALWAYS have a V shaped hemline, because that section hangs the lowest.
If you have a back hairline that's shaped like a W (the sides by your ears is the longest, and it hikes up a bit in the middle) - you're going to have a W shaped hemline.

:look: That's another reason why I think trying to keep a blunt cut AND grow your hair out at the same time can be a sisyphean task - your hair simply might not grow that way.

This is something that I'm grappling with now. My hair has always grown faster on the sides than the back. In my case, I think this happens because of different textures, growth rates, and breakage (the hair on the back is coarser and drier than that on the sides). As long as my hair isn't damaged on the ends, I'm contemplating waiting until the shortest/slowest growing part gets a little longer before I cut my hair... but I can't make any promises ;)

Well I don't have that shape but I do have a natural v shape and I think that sometimes different sections of your hair grows in at different rates. My nape grows slower than the rest of my hair while my crown area grows the fastest. It makes my ends look thin when they aren't, especially when I am 6+ weeks post touch up. My hair stylist pointed this out to me as she was lecturing me about trimming away my progress in my effort to have blunt ends.

Severe W shapes I think equal breakage. I think mini trims, weekly deep cons with heat and protective styling help turn them around.

That's exactly how I am, but my sides grow faster than my nape.

I agree, especially with the bolded.

I try to tell myself NOW that its my natural growth pattern, but my hair didnt grow that way the first time i went natural, so idk. i really think it was an uneven trim that never recovered :spinning:

I suffered from the W Hair Shape Syndrome (WHSS) for years. My hair on the sides would always grow much longer than the hair in the back:nono:.

This ALWAYS led the stylist to cut my hair to the shortest point and held me back from obtaining the long hair I've always wanted.

Since joing LHCF and taking extra special care of my hair ( especially the back) I've have manage to cure myself of WHSS.:yep:

But I'm just curious...does anyone know if this is a result of hair care techniques or hair growth patterns???

I too was cured of WHSS, which was caused by lack of hair care knowledge. My dry SL hair was constantly rubbing on my shoulders and along my collars and promptly breaking off...I thank God for this site!

I had a W back in the day, and I asked my then beautician who was really into hair care why that was. She said that I was probably so concerned with (this and this) as she was pulling both the left and right sides of her hair pulling them to the front, that the middle is getting neglected. Breakage... not being combed or moisturized good...etc..
It only took me a minute to realize that everyday I would toss my sides to the front (to show length) :drunk: I was above collar bone length then. Once I started to pay attention to the middle, she flourished.:yep: I have a V so my nape grows faster than my sides so her theory holds true for me.

I definitely agree with the idea that the upside down V is due to breakage. I never had a problem with the "w" shape until a careless shampoo girl didn't properly wash out a relaxer a few years ago. My BSL hair went to SL in the back in a matter of a few days. It's really frustrating to have because it's sometimes hard to baby the back of your head.

I noticed that a lot of people had it when they first started their hair journey and it turned into a V/U-shape after they started taking care of it. I have this problem too and I don't want to cut my hair, I put it up 24/7 due to this.

How long did it take you guys to cure yourselves of the WHSS?

Concerning the question in bold: As soon as I starting protecting and moisturizing my back-middle section, my hair began to retain length almost immediately. Now, it grows evenly with the sides and front.

[/b]

Concerning the question in bold: As soon as I starting protecting and moisturizing my back-middle section, my hair began to retain length almost immediately. Now, it grows evenly with the sides and front.

Wow, that's pretty fast. My middle hair is catching up to the sides, but there's still a length difference.

I have the same problem. And I know it's due to a bad relaxer experience a couple of years ago when this salon didn't wash a relaxer out of the back completely :angry2: :censored: resulting in a bald spot, general thinning and change in overall texture of the hair back there. Before that my hair at the back grew faster and longer than the sides.

[/b]

same here!!

BTW ladies. I made up the term "WHSS":lachen: it's not a syndrome. just a hair shape but i wasn't sure where it came from:look:

This is a great topic! I have had the same problem for years. My napre naturally grows like that. But when the rest of my hair started doing that, I assume that it's severe breakage due to relaxers not being washed out.

This makes so much sense yet it has never even occured to me! My back hairline totally grows in the W shape. Wow, this really explains why I can never get my hair to grow in a normal shape without constantly chopping the side areas.

:blush: Oh, good thinking! Your theory bears true in my case.

i have a slight upside down "u" shape due to me having no hair in the lower middle of my nape. hair just dosent grow there naturally so right now it looks uneven but when growing my hair out before and my hair was even the hair grew straight across even with my natural "u "shape

i had a W shape and now its a V shape and the drastic change was a result of how i cared for my hair

the back, middle part of my head is not as thick as the top or sides and is prone to breakage a lot easier

once i started moisturizing non stop, using a good quality shampoo/condition (and deep conditioner as needed) the issue changed. i also took my vitamins religiously (i have gotten away from that now though) and also changed my hair styling choices(not pulling hair to tight, being careful when inserting and removing pony ponies, being careful with daily styling, etc)

also for me the part that broke off the most (the middle, back area of my head) was the dryest part of my hair. so i make sure to do extra moisturizer duty on the middle and ends of my hair.

totally agree with this!! My nape grows the fastest and I have to keep trimming it to avoid the 70's shag look:look:

Back