What causes scalp soreness?

winterinatl

All natural!
This hasn't happened to me, but is happening to my girlfriend. She says every now and then, only when her natural hair has been straightened, her scalp will feel very sore, like someone is pulling her hair or like it's in a very tight ponytail.

I thought it might be explained by wrapping, but she doesn't do this. I thought perhaps the pincurling at night sometimes, but this doesn't fit either because this time it began at night BEFORE the pin curling or head wrapping took place. It's been one week since she had it flatironed, and her hair is heavy and coarse, waistlength.

Anyone ever had scalp soreness like this before?

i want to know too! i get that at times. less frequently than i did in the past. then i noticed my scalp would get sore in the month of sept/oct. but actually its sore today!! i have been wearing 2 ponytails under my wig so i dont know what can be causing it

I'm curious about this as well. I tried a little experiment. I went for 2 weeks without washing my hair. No regular washes, no co-washes, nada. The only thing I did was oil my scalp and moisturize my hair. My scalp was very tender and sore, but only at the top. The back was fine. As a matter of fact, my scalp had developed a bad case of dandruff and it had also started forming scabs here and there. It was itching like crazy and it was beginning to become sore to the touch. I finally washed my hair and voila!!! The soreness has subsided (to be honest, it actually vanished) and the dandruff and scabs disappeared too. It's really crazy. I guess that was my hair's way of telling me that I better not ever try that crazy mess again. My hair can't go a week without some type of washing:nono:

I'm curious about this as well. I tried a little experiment. I went for 2 weeks without washing my hair. No regular washes, no co-washes, nada. The only thing I did was oil my scalp and moisturize my hair. My scalp was very tender and sore, but only at the top. The back was fine. As a matter of fact, my scalp had developed a bad case of dandruff and it had also started forming scabs here and there. It was itching like crazy and it was beginning to become sore to the touch. I finally washed my hair and voila!!! The soreness has subsided (to be honest, it actually vanished) and the dandruff and scabs disappeared too. It's really crazy. I guess that was my hair's way of telling me that I better not ever try that crazy mess again. My hair can't go a week without some type of washing:nono:

OMG girl!!! that just happened to me! i oiled my scalp, did a massage and thats when my scalp got sore and i have a scab too!! wow....what is that about!?!?!?:perplexed

I have never experienced this, but I hope you get to the root of the problem. (NO pun attended)

my scalp gets sore when I decide I want to wrap it in the opposite direction. Has anyone else had that happen to them?

my scalp gets sore when I decide I want to wrap it in the opposite direction. Has anyone else had that happen to them?
Yes, it's like the teeny muscles at the base of the root get pulled or something. I've had that but she says that's not the issue.

I am wondering if it's because she needs to wash. She too had oiled her scalp and then did a massage, and it only made it worse. Interesting.

Well I have a sore and itchy scalp, it was just washed and conditioned 1/1/08. I 've had the itchies for a couple of weeks every since I began using Fermodyl, surely that can't be causing it.

When I message my hair to often my scalp will get sore. my scalp was so sore one week so i just stop messaging for about a week and the soreness went away. I don't message that hard either and I make sure my nails don't scrape the scalp. anway it could be that if she does daily messaging.

I experienced the same thing! I had my hair wrapped for a few days and I was in so much pain I had to take it down. Now I have my hair in an updo, and it's not so bad. I, like you have to wash my hair every 4 or 5 days or I'll get real intense soreness, itchies in the crown area only, never the back or sides. I massage and that worsens it, IDK why my scalp acts funny like this but when it does I just wash it. It is a pain in the winter though cause I don't want to wash 2 times a week but now I have to if I don't want to walk around with a sore head.

From my experience, my scalp gets tender during my growth spurts. It happens between the top of my crown and 5 inches below towards my nape. I never get worried when this happens I get excited, in fact I was just telling my SO whoohoo my head is sore!!!

Back