What causes breakage at the crown?

Leslie_C

For some reason, my crown seems to be the area that is the most fragile. I remember a couple of years ago I had a small section(about an inch wide) that broke off to an inch or so long. Well it happened to me again. It seems like its the demarcation line(I was 10 weeks post relaxer)...could it be that this area is the coursest part of my hair so most likely to break at the new growth?

Also, how can I baby that area so it grows back healthy? when she trimmed my ends, she didnt trim that part, should I have her do it next time? I just dont understand why this happened for the second time!

I had a little mild breakage in the front too, I have a few fly aways around the part of my wrap....

other than that my hair is doing well but Im still concerned...
confused.gif

girl, i have that same problem!! i thought that i had relaxed ends stills, but it turns out that my hair had broken so close to the root in somplaces that it made the length thinner than the rest....

ive just been using surge and keeping it cornrowed, flat twisted, or 2 strand twisted and its growing slowly but surely...
~T~

If your hair grows fastest in that area and you are stretching your relaxer, it could be that the line of demarcation between the new and old hair is breaking because of the weakness at that point due to the two textures. You may need to be extra careful with that section. I usually use a spray moisturizer in that section when the growth gets substantial and it helps with combing and not breaking as badly. Hope that helps.

I have the same problem, too, and I'm not relaxed either
frown.gif
I think that it's probably because my hair is definitely the coarsest there. I've just been making sure that apply extra conditioner on those areas and be *extra* gentle when I'm detangling those areas.

Ive struggled with crown breakage all my life, I dont know how I got it to grow back but its now back and healthy, but I am VERY careful with this area when combing, brushing and applying products.

If you are relaxed it could be from having the relaxing process begin at that same spot each time. Do you (or does your stylist) start there everytime?

I have this same problem too. I've been using Surge there and keep it extra moisturized in that area.

My crown area is one of the areas where the "bad" relaxer broke my hair off the most. I've recently found that it's b/c that area is fine there. I read this on another website recently about fine hair:

"Fine = thinner hair shaft diameter--lays flat at the scalp; is usually porous (and very susceptible to humidity); loses curl easily; easily damaged; very prone to breakage; grows slowly or slower than coarse hair due to breakage--resembles baby hair or elderly people's hair (lack of some hormone(s) causes less keratin (or whatever it is that makes coarse hair strands thick and strong) to be produced; stringy looking."

This describes my crown area to a "t" except I think it grows just as quickly as my other hair.

Leslie - is the area fine or coase? Either way, I'd say to just make sure to baby the area. Don't pull your ponytails too tight. Adjust where you part your hair. Don't brush the area. Just be extra gentle with it and keep it moisturized. No hard gels.

thx hairlove,
can your hair be fine and course? I mean my hair is course as in 4a/4b type, but I would consider it sort of fine as in density if that makes sense!

Well it grew back before with nothing too special so I guess it will grow back again, Ill just have to be aware that this area will need extra attention to prevent it in the future!

I believe all hair "types" can be coarse, medium, or fine. My hair is mostly medium textured but there's a circle coming out from my crown that is fine textured. Just b/c you are a 4a/4b does not necessarily mean that your hair is coarse. Take a look at this method of hair typing:

Fia's Hairtyping System

Back