What Books have you read that helped confirm your faith?

Duchesse

I just wanted to know if anyone can recommend any books that they have read (besides the Bible) that helped to cement your faith.

I am trying to become stronger in faith, but there is a part of me that feels the need to have things factually "proven" to me regarding biblical events or the actuality of the Word (hopefully I am making sense..). Has anyone else gone through this need to have to read an outside source
besides the Bible in order to become stronger in faith?

I understand the hypocrisy of needing "mans word" versus "Gods word", but this is an issue that I have struggled with for awhile. Any books that have personally helped you would be greatly appreciated. TIA!!

Try "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel...you can find reviews on http://amazon.com

However, I would recommend going straight to the source and asking God to help you grow stronger in your faith. I've had to do this myself and God has always proven himself to me. One scripture that comes to mind is Mark 9:22-24. In it is a story about a man who had a demon possessed son and he apporached Jesus for help saying...

22 "...Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.”

23 “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”

24 The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”

God knows exactly where you are struggling in your faith and he is waiting for you to ask him "help me overcome my unbelief." God is so awesome that he will prove himself to you in a way that you will know it was nobody but Him. :yep:
Hope I helped you in some way :)

thank you for the replies!

You ladies are right..I have been slacking in the "go straight to the source" dept. lately, that's probably why i'm in this situation in the first place. I will check my library to see if they have those mentioned books and I have to dedicate myself to read the Bible itself. Thanks again!

All of Frank Peretti's books. Oh my goodness..like wow. Has changed my life for the better. Also a book called "More Than A Carpenter". It's a small quick read book.

Israel Houghtington's "A deeper level".

And this one book, by Rebecca Brown, "He Came To Set The Captives Free".

And I know you said besides the bible. But, the Old Testament has just speaking to my situation. The Holy Spirit is doing some much delieverance and healing through the old testament books.

Last edited:
All of Frank Peretti's books. Oh my goodness..like wow. Has changed my life for the better. Also a book called "More Than A Carpenter". It's a small quick read book.

Israel Houghtington's "A deeper level".

And this one book, by Rebecca Brown, "He Came To Set The Captives Free".

And I know you said besides the bible. But, the Old Testament has just speaking to my situation. The Holy Spirit is doing some much delieverance and healing through those books.

Excellent book! It is a quick read too, and very easy to understand.

Try "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel...you can find reviews on http://amazon.com

I was just going to recommend this. Other books include:

"The Case for a Creator" by Lee Strobel
"Can Man Live Without God?" Ravi Zacharias
"Jesus Among Other Gods" Ravi Zacharias

As far as your question: I didn't need to read outside books to become stronger in faith. But I like to be able to explain the reason for the hope within me and I understand that many people will not take the Bible with the same authority that I do. So reading these books help me to defend my faith from a more rational viewpoint that some will find easier to accept.

Last edited:
I have many, many books on Faith and Christianity, yet the one and only book that has literally changed my life is 'The Bible'.

The words come 'alive' and speak directly to me. And they are always a word in season and God never fails to prove His word in my life and those whom He has led me to minister to, in and out of my family and loved ones.

What more can I say... no other book can compare. It's all right there in His word. Always there waiting for me to discover more and more about Him and me; and settle within my heart. Praise God, forever. :love2:

You said besides the Bible, well, the Bible is the major book. I have read, read, and reread the Bible and I can't get enought of it. I have used other books to help me study the Bible.

Some of my books:
The Purpose and Power of Praise & Worship - Dr. Myles Munroe
The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
Fasting - Jentezen Franklin
Embracing Forgiveness - Women of Faith Series
The 21 Day Fast - Dr. Bob Rodgers
Beautiful in God's Eyes - Elizabeth George
Dear God Send Me A Soul Mate - Rose sweet
A Woman After God's Own Heart - Elizabeth George
Facing Life's Uncertainties - Women of Faith Series
How to Hear From God - Joyce Meyers
Hope Again - Charles Swindoll
Battlefield of the Mind - Joyce Meyer
Lady in Waiting - Debby Jones & Jackie Kendall
Discovering the Treasures of a Godley Woman - Elizabeth George

I have many, many more but I hope this give you a general ideal of some great study material that can enhance you study of the Bible.

The bible for confirmation and for strengthening; 'The purpose driven life' by Rick Warren and 'Classic Christianity' by Bob George. Great books.

Last edited:

However, I would recommend going straight to the source and asking God to help you grow stronger in your faith. I've had to do this myself and God has always proven himself to me. One scripture that comes to mind is Mark 9:22-24. In it is a story about a man who had a demon possessed son and he apporached Jesus for help saying...

22 "...Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.”

23 “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”

24 The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”

God knows exactly where you are struggling in your faith and he is waiting for you to ask him "help me overcome my unbelief." God is so awesome that he will prove himself to you in a way that you will know it was nobody but Him. :yep:
Hope I helped you in some way :)

You beat me to it, I'm reading this book right now. Don't worry about needing facts honey, Jesus himself gave proof of what he was talking about. (Not to say you should always need signs- but you get what I mean). Another book I am ordering is called " A Case that Demands a Verdict" By Josh Mcdowell. Haven't read it yet but its supposed to be full of evidences for Jesus and His claims.
All the Best XxX

I have to agree with most of the previous posters and say the Bible. Another book that comes to mind is Woman Thou Art Loosed by T.D. Jakes. I read this book over 10 years ago and it changed my life instantly. It brought understanding and confirmation on some things that God had been speaking to me and dreams and visions He had given me. Also, there are certain scriptures that God has given me to read over the years to help me with whatever I am going through. Genesis 12, Samuel 1, Psalm 120 and Joshua 1 are some scriptures that come to mind.

Back