What are Three SignsThat It'sTime for a Retouch

Chichi

What are Three SignsThat It\'sTime for a Retouch

Ladies,

I am now going to ten weeks (this weekend) post-relaxer. Thanks to the good advice on this board, I haven't really felt like it is time to retouch.

But I would like to be careful... What are the three warning signs that it is definitely time for a get a RETOUCH?

I can only think of one. For me before it was shedding at 9-10 weeks post-relaxer (no shedding now thank goodness
naughty.gif
). Can anyone else think of other warning signs so that I could be on the lookout for them?
sekret.gif
The minute I notice them, I will call my hairdresser to schedule an appointment! Thanks.

Chichi
bdance.gif

Re: What are Three SignsThat It\'sTime for a Retouch

Beads, Beads and more Beads!
laugh.gif

Just kidding becuase our natural hair is beautiful also!

I think you hit on the main key the shedding...once I start to see more hair on my brush or in my comb I know it is time. I have type 4b hair so I can definitely feel my new growth coming in....basically I think if you are use to getting a touch up after a certain number of weeks you should just stick with that...even if you feel like you could go longer maybe stretch it out a week or two but no more then that. Part of keeping your hair up is getting your touch up regularly.

Good luck!
smile.gif

for me, shedding and tangles. I get it real bad about wk 10 and by wk 12 I'm so tired of "babying" my newgrowth and taking forever to comb after washes and airdrying that I give up and grab the phone. I get freaked out about the stress the two textures might be causing the longer I let them clash and really notice the increase in shedding.

increased breakage

hair that refuses to "take" a style.. no curls after a rollerset, that kinda thing

the roots roots roots if the are kinky and curly girk is time for you to get that tuch and if its breaking and makes you conditon

Some tension/tenderness in scalp

Itchy, dry scalp

Some breakage, from two textures

..the first two used to be my telltale signs. If I waited too long, I'd started to get the breakage

-breakage (past 24 wks) or
-unmanageable new growth or
-just ready to get my "cute" on
laugh.gif
(seriously though, the 2 signs above let's me know "it's time")

For me it's the extra head that grows from my crown giving me a natural 50's beehive look and the refusal to hold a curl.
weird.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Some tension/tenderness in scalp

Itchy, dry scalp

Some breakage, from two textures

..the first two used to be my telltale signs. If I waited too long, I'd started to get the breakage

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Losing more hair than usual during comb-out when washing (hair more tangled)
smile.gif

Puffy roots that make it harder to roller-set

Roller-set comes out looking too thick in the root area

This is an interesting topic because I'm used to getting my touch up after 8 weeks but now I'm thinking of stretching it to 16. This week will be 8 weeks so for the next 8 weeks I was going to wear cornrows (off course touching them up every 2 weeks since I plan to do conditioner washes everyday) Do you think jumping from 8 to 16 will cause major breakage even with the daily conditioner washes and oiling??? Sorry to hijack your post.

Re: What are Three SignsThat It\'sTime for a Retouc

For me... it is when I am unable to wear my hair down in wrap because the roots are really FAT. UHHHHHH, I hate this especially now that I have my hair cut it needs to be permed more often. I am going to try to go 10 weeks instead of my usual 14-16 weeks.

I think like everyone else said shedding, breakage and when you seriously can't put a comb through your dry roots without alomst breaking the comb and you hair these are all signs but since I have started using oil in my roots more often, I feel better. I am on week 7 now and haven't done this in years. I have been the 5 or 6 week wonder for many years but I think this will help my hair get thicker and have more body. I just wanted to ask: My hair dresser said that you shouldn't go more than 8 weeks without a relaxer, but from what I've seen on this board and other places, the people with the longest hair(also the healthiest) wait a lot longer than 8 weeks and many of you have the same hair texture that I have. So is this just another thing hair dressers are taught to tell clients?
pinocchio.gif

Kandyland,

Some ladies that were able to extend their times between relaxers slowly progressed to that type of extension of time. Others just make it a week by week decision--depending on the condition of their hair. If their hair is breaking and completely unmanageable, even with the proper tools and products, then they may finally relax. So I guess the choice to extend is based upon how much you can manage your hair with the two different textures. Sounds like you have a pretty good plan to extend it by wearing cornrows. Be careful that your stays moist....

candycane

Thanks Candycane.

I guess I will play it by ear between the weeks that I take the cornrows out and see if it is breaking or shedding to determine if to go ahead and touch up.

I told my sister what I was going to do and she said did u ask your hairdresser about that...and I'm like why would I do that......LHCF knows more about haircare than her.

I was thinking aobut this very thing -- is it better to wait or to go ahead and relax so as to save hair? I mean what's the purpose of stretching out relaxers if we are losing a lot of hair in the process? The other thing is my new growth is so soft because of the castor oil and I guess the MSM. I also recently discovered Africas Best and that gives so much slip, when I couple that with Le Kair with aloe cholesterol -- I could easily go without a touch-up except for all the hair on the bathroom floor. This is very confusing to me.

-----------thread corrupt -----------

OK, I couldn't resist watching a conversation between Kandyland and Candycane

---------------------
laugh.gif
---------------------------

Is it true that the longer your hair gets, the longer you can go between touch ups cause thats how it is for me. Cause I just went to the hairdresser for a wash and flat iron and my hair looks like i just got a relaxer...Maybe b/c its getting heavier and heavier, its pulling the hair more downwards...?

yes its true because you have more versatility to hide it and like u said it gets heavier and heavier. i know i need a t-up when my scalp is dry and tender and i shed more and i can wear my hear down without looking like a helmet head.

Back