What are some GREAT products and methods you use???

CJ22

What are some great products and methods you use to help your hair to grow so thick,long, and healthy?

And how long did it take?

I love castor oil. I don't know if you categorize it as "product", but it is definitely one product that everyone should encounter and give a try. A method I use with it is oil rinsing http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965. It is excellent for moisture. I have been reading about the greehouse effect (GHE) w/castor oil as well: here is youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOPO3nABpA&feature=related

A second product is Aubrey Organics GPB (protein deep conditioner) and Aubrey Honey Suckle Rose (moisturizing deep conditioner. The GPB is my favorite and it is pretty popular around here. It cuts through dry hair to impart moisture and gives you a protein balance if you use it consistently. I use it once a week on dry hair. I also use it in my moisture spritz (usually distilled water; or aloe vera gel/juice and castor oil/jojoba oil in the mix).

[USER=10150 said:
virtuenow[/USER];14979659]I love castor oil. I don't know if you categorize it as "product", but it is definitely one product that everyone should encounter and give a try. A method I use with it is oil rinsing http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965. It is excellent for moisture. I have been reading about the greehouse effect (GHE) w/castor oil as well: here is youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOPO3nABpA&feature=related

A second product is Aubrey Organics GPB (protein deep conditioner) and Aubrey Honey Suckle Rose (moisturizing deep conditioner. The GPB is my favorite and it is pretty popular around here. It cuts through dry hair to impart moisture and gives you a protein balance if you use it consistently. I use it once a week on dry hair. I also use it in my moisture spritz (usually distilled water; or aloe vera gel/juice and castor oil/jojoba oil in the mix).

Do you use a moisturizing conditioner after the GPB or just the GPB alone? tia

When I was relaxed, stretching 12 weeks helped tremendously.

Wet bunning is fantastic for retaining.

GHE'ing has greatly improved the health of my hair.

And steaming? Well, that's a whole nother level of awesome.

Good brands:

In-Store:
ORS
Giovanni
Aubrey Organics
Shea Moisture
Alaffia Beautiful Curls
Sally's GVP line

Online:
Pura Body Naturals
Qhemet
Marie Dean
Claudie's
Camille Rose

There are lots more, this is just off the top of my head. :spinning:

Steaming IS another level of AWESOME.
:lick:

Anyhoo....
Great products only work with Trial and error - and great techniques.

One of my favorite things is Aloe vera Juice and gel!

another is coconut oil

they both work wonders for my hair and skin!:lick:

Do you use a moisturizing conditioner after the GPB or just the GPB alone? tia

faithVA I use the GPB alone. It is the most moisturizing conditioner I've encountered. The thing is, it adds strength at the same time. GPB and castor oil are my favorite conditioners. Then comes HSR :yep:

@faithVA I use the GPB alone. It is the most moisturizing conditioner I've encountered. The thing is, it adds strength at the same time. GPB and castor oil are my favorite conditioners. Then comes HSR :yep:

Thanks. I just bought the GPB. I will try it over the next month without using a moisturizing conditioner.

Coconut oil is awesome. You may need to use it sparingly because it can make your hair hard if you use too much.

LustraSilk Cholesterol is also a grrrreeeat product! I love using that before a wash n go. I rarely mess with gels and cream anymore. It really strengthens and moisturizes your hair. It also contains ceramides. I really like it a lot. That's probably the best product I discovered all of 2011.

Limiting heat to once or twice a month has helped me a lot.

@faithVA I use the GPB alone. It is the most moisturizing conditioner I've encountered. The thing is, it adds strength at the same time. GPB and castor oil are my favorite conditioners. Then comes HSR :yep:

This conditioner is also awesome. It's a balancing conditioner but feels like it's more protein then moisture based. In either case, it leaves hair in great condition!

I think co-washing has worked for me to retain moisture.

Tresemme Curl Hydration is a great conditioner.

Black soap helps to clarify without stripping and leaving my hair squeaky.

Cold pressed EVOO is great and is the only oil that I use (I use it mixed with water and leave-in).

Whole leaf Aloe Vera juice is also great at adding a balance of acidity to my hair and closing my cuticles since the black soap is alkaline and opens the cuticles.

I bc'd April 7th. I had an inch of hair, less than a year later I'm SHOULDER LENGTH. I'm not big on lots of products. If its not broke don't fix it!! I keep it simple. My hair loves water! I cowash multiple times a week. My staples is Coconut Suave but I may use Aussie's every blue moon. I love Aussie's deep condish every two weeks. When I first went natural I used Shea Moisture leave in and now I'm using Kinky Curl Knot Today. Once I finish this bottle I'm going back to the Shea Moisture leave in. For oils I use jojoba, Shea butter or EVOO. I shampoo every weeks using Grand Poo bar. I started doing twist outs nightly to retain moisture and to protect my ends. It helps! If I want to do a wash and go, I define my curls with ECO styler gel or Shea Moisture Smoothie.

I have used so many products and a lot of them did not agree with my hair. I am now using 3 major brands that work wonders for my hair and they are Keracare, Moroccanoil, and Aubrey Organics conditioners especially the GPB, HSR, Swimmers, and White Camellia. I will ordering the JAY, IN, and Blue Chamomile next.

I also choose to use sulfate-free poos and organic conditioners because they have mild ingredients that does not strip and dry out my hair. My hair has responded very favorably to these 3 brands so I'm sticking to them.

I also use aloe vera gel, evoo and extra virgin coconut oil and Jamaican Black castor oil. My hair loves these a lot. They make my hair super soft and manageable. I will sometimes use other things like African shea butter but the ones I mentioned above are my staples.

My staple vitamins are Nature's Way Alive Once Daily Multi, Hairfinity, Silica, Biotin, MSM, B-100, C, Fish Oils, and E. Adding L-Cysteine next as a staple vitamin.

So in the last three years, I have been bone laxed, transitioned, BKT'd then texlaxed and may be transitioning again, so it's amazing that I have hair on my head (I actually have fine hair and I don't recommend doing all those things).

So here is what helped me.
D/C and keeping the protein and moisture in balance. I have tried most of the good an the bad. I have used AO GPB and HSR but also the jojoba and the island conditioners as well. Just d/c at least once a week. Nothing crazy, just at atleast for 20 minutes with heat or an hour without.

Low mani styles. I have been wearing braidouts/twistouts for the past three years with a few weeks of straighten. I comb my hair about once a week. I only finger detangle in betweeen.

The BIGGEST thing that has helped is what I read from Chicoro's fotki. She describes a method of moisturizing that has helped me keep my hair moisturized so I don't have to keep putting product on.

After I wash I use a liquid leave in (or just don't rinse my conditioner fully). Then oil (a lit oil) on my hair. Then a creamy leave in. I go in that order and I don't have to moisturize til the next wash day (three or four days).

I started doing satin scarf braidouts last years and they look so much better. Right now my hair unstraighten is at BSB and in layers/APL with a braidout.

Washing my hair in twists, or in separate parts, has kept my hair on my head!!!
Finger combing, twists, washing/rinsing with the same frequency i did as a child (2-4 times as week) and deep conditioning have also helped immensely...

My hair loves,

Raw honey, hemp seed oil, castor oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, aussie moisture conditioner, MJ's super sweet back dc treatment, MJ curly meringue for twists, CJ deep fix, and CJ smoothing lotion as a leave-in.

I don't have any special application methods.

I'm really keeping it simple. I was 1x a week with Creme of Nature Shampoo!! Deep Condition with Mazani Moisterfuse!! I use Neutrog ena Satin Creme a s a leave in conditoner. I air dry and bun for a week. I use S- Curl as a moisturizer and between Castrol oil and Evoo to seal. Stretching my relaxers.. I'm 8 weeks post relaxers so I'm have 8 more weeks til my next relaxer. . I'm a product junkie but what I'm doing know seems to be working. I just started in December and I have notice growth.

The best thing to do is take note of all these great products mentioned and try to find out what your hair loves, when I 1st began this HCJ I wanted to try everything and anything and overlooked what my hair really responded to...you only need a few staples that you hair responds to.

Regular co washing
Steaming:love:
Steaming in oils:drool: for shiny rich looking hair
Finger combing and seamless combs
P/M balance is key, I use the stretch test regularly

The best product I've found since i started my hair journey is LustraSilk Olive Oil Cholesterol. Holy smokes. This turns my dry-prone hair into soft touchable curls. I can actually run my fingers through my curls after using this. It's a must-have for me. I get way less tangles, ssk's etc when using this for wash n' go's and even less when I use this before banding my hair. I also use it before roller-sets.

Because my hair is fine, it sometimes doesn't take too well too much moisture or protein. Cholesterol is unique in the sense that it doesn't necessarily fall into either category, but seems to have both qualities of a moisturizing and protein based product. It also seems to absorb into the hair, and I have yet to experience build up issues with it (I also wash my hair at least once a week, but often 2x a week).

100% virgin coconut oil is also great. Though many ladies here have had mixed experiences with it, I absolutely love it. It's one of few oils that seems to penetrate through the hair shaft rather then coat it.

Use:
Quality salon grade products
Natural products
P/M balance
M/S daily
Regular DCing/Steaming
Oil Rinsing
Seamless Combs

Time:
Varies by person. I stopped clock watching long time ago as a watched pot never boils.

Back