What are some CHEAPIE clarifying shampoos?

Kamilah

Either drug store or BSS brands are fine...but I'm on that broke college student budget. Also, how do you know its a clarifyer? How do you use them? Regular shampoo/condish afterwards?

Kamilah said:
Either drug store or BSS brands are fine...but I'm on that broke college student budget. Also, how do you know its a clarifyer? How do you use them? Regular shampoo/condish afterwards?

Dollar Tree has the V05 Kiwi & Lime for $1.00. It tells you it's clarifying on the bottle. In other places it's just a little over a dollar. It also has an accompanying conditioner. Some people use a clarifying shampoo only and then condition afterwards, others use a clarifying shampoo then follow up with a moisturizing shampoo and then condition. However, I hear the V05 doesn't strip the hair like the Suave clarifying shampoo does.

A clarifying shampoo should say "clarifying" or "removes product buildup" on the bottle. You can use them as often as you feel necessary in place of your regular shampoo. Personally, I like to lather up with clarifying shampoo, rinse, and follow up with a moisturizing shampoo.

Some drugstore choices include:
-V05 Kiwi Lime (navsegda mentioned this already)
-Suave Clarifying
-Nexxus Aloe Rid (sold at drugstores, but can be kind of pricey)
-Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo (acts as a neutralizing shampoo, clarifying shampoo, and removes calcium buildup if you use no-lye relaxers)
-Herbal Essences Degunkify

I use Proclaim neutralizing poo from Sallys and its really cheap. Even though its a neutralizing poo, the bottle states that it can be used as a clarifying poo also to remove product buildup.:)

SUAVE-PRO-CLARIF-SH.jpg

Right now I am using Suave Professionals Clarifying Shampoo. Works for me.

shunta said:
I use Proclaim neutralizing poo from Sallys and its really cheap. Even though its a neutralizing poo, the bottle states that it can be used as a clarifying poo also to remove product buildup.:)

ITA w/Shunta. This stuff works and its only 89 cents w/a Sally's card. You can't beat that with a stick. :poke:

I use suave daily clarifying poo.. and love it!! It's about .99cents and I found it at WalMart. When I used it, my hair had a darker tint (from lifting all of the product buildup.. not a darker tint like a dyed look but I could definitely tell the difference.) My hair went from dull to shine. I didn't feel like it stripped my hair dry.. but I still followed with a deep conditioner as usual to restore moisture.

Thanks so much for all the replies! Another Q...how do you know you need to use one? I wash twice weekly, so I never really feel sticky or really weighed down w/products. How do you know its time? What are the indicators?

Priestess said:
ITA w/Shunta. This stuff works and its only 89 cents w/a Sally's card. You can't beat that with a stick. :poke:

*jotting down*

Need something after Keracare 1st lather runs out...

Kamilah said:
Thanks so much for all the replies! Another Q...how do you know you need to use one? I wash twice weekly, so I never really feel sticky or really weighed down w/products. How do you know its time? What are the indicators?

the indicator for me is when I feel that no matter how much moisturizer or oil I put on.. my hair is not soaking it in like usual. I wash my hair 2x a week as well.. I think it just depends on how much products u r using on a daily basis. I think for me maybe every 6-8 weeks would work to clarify. For u it may be different.. maybe sooner than that. When I notice my hair looking dull then that would be a good indicator for me too...but this is just me.

This may sound odd, but the Johnson's Ddetangling Baby shampoo is a mild clarifier for me. I use alternate or mix it with my Kenra Clarifying. I started usign it when I found a big bottle of it for $2 at the market one day. Using it makes my Kenra last longer. It does not clarify as much as the Kenra, but sometimes I really don't need something as strong as the Kenra.

I use Pantene Pro clarifying shampoo i bought from Wal-mart.
Quite sure it's over a dollar.:lol: But just another suggestion. And also i clarify once a month, just to stay on top of things.

I have used Nexxus Aloe Rid in the past (just used the last of it last week). It was nothing special, but it served it's purpose. Yesterday while at Target I picked up the Herbal Essence Degunktify. So I'll see how this works

preciousjewel76 said:
A clarifying shampoo should say "clarifying" or "removes product buildup" on the bottle. You can use them as often as you feel necessary in place of your regular shampoo. Personally, I like to lather up with clarifying shampoo, rinse, and follow up with a moisturizing shampoo.

Some drugstore choices include:
-V05 Kiwi Lime (navsegda mentioned this already)
-Suave Clarifying
-Nexxus Aloe Rid (sold at drugstores, but can be kind of pricey)
-Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo (acts as a neutralizing shampoo, clarifying shampoo, and removes calcium buildup if you use no-lye relaxers)
-Herbal Essences Degunkify

I have the ORS, but when I really needed my hair clarified, it didn't seem to do the job...elucence did though!! I just bought some of the degunkify, so hopefully that'll work out....

navsegda said:
Dollar Tree has the V05 Kiwi & Lime for $1.00. It tells you it's clarifying on the bottle. In other places it's just a little over a dollar. It also has an accompanying conditioner. Some people use a clarifying shampoo only and then condition afterwards, others use a clarifying shampoo then follow up with a moisturizing shampoo and then condition. However, I hear the V05 doesn't strip the hair like the Suave clarifying shampoo does.

ITA :up: That's the brand I use. :yep:

OT: Dlewis, your hair is so dark and lustrous, I love it. You make me want to get off the computer and dunk my head into my bottle of Amla oil. :lachen:

shunta said:

I agree I love this poo for clarifying and it doesnt dry my hair out to much too. The price is right at .99 cents.

Last edited:
I'm using Suave Daily Clarifying now, but I want to replace that with either the Suave Professionals Clarifying or Tresemme Deep Cleansing

Elucence is my favorite clarifier. Smells heavenly and not too expensive if you can find it...around 7 dollars.

Browndilocks said:
Elucence is my favorite clarifier. Smells heavenly and not too expensive if you can find it...around 7 dollars.

OMG, now you know this thread reads "cheapie" conditioner!:lachen:

i started using the suave one in the clear bottle (clear liquid) last week... i think it dried my scalp out. are the formulas for the daily one and the professional one different? i wasnt out to look for both. i came across the clear stuff first and took it because it was under $2

and i still dont get how you guys know when to clarify. do you guys deep condition after you clarify each time?

Back