What are parabens?

SparklingFlame

and whats the bad thing about them? I have seen many people say that they avoid parabens and I was wondering what they are. TIA!

Methyl, Propyl, Butyl and Ethyl Paraben — Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Studies have shown that they are weakly estrogenic and can be absorbed by the body through the skin. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic.

HTH

{DI}

oh wow! now that's another thing I have to look out for.
Can someone fill me in on why Mineral Oil and Petrolatum are bad as well?

If i am not mistaken, those 2 ingredients only succeeds in clogging your pores and giving your hair the appearance of shine and it simply coats the hair and won't allow good products with moisture into the hair shaft. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks DI for your answer. So you mean that it has estogen in it?

That's what I kinda thought.
IS it good to use it at all, at any time? Because I've realised that most products have those things in them.

What do people use for shine then?

trinidarkie1 said:
oh wow! now that's another thing I have to look out for.
Can someone fill me in on why Mineral Oil and Petrolatum are bad as well?

Petrolatum — Also known as petroleum jelly, this mineral oil derivative is used for its emollient properties in cosmetics. It has no nutrient value for the skin and can interfere with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dryness and chapping. It often creates the very conditions it claims to alleviate. Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.

naturallady said:
Thanks DI for your answer. So you mean that it has estogen in it?

You're welcome, and yes. There was a study on breast tumors that had trace amounts of parabens that could be linked to cosmetic product usage over time.

You can read additional information here:
http://www.ewg.org/issues/siteindex/issues.php?issueid=5005

Here's info on the cancer link:
http://www.locateadoc.com/articles.cfm/search/120

And a comprehensive list of chemicals, harmful and harmless:
http://www.3.waisays.com/skincare.htm

HTH

{DI}

trinidarkie1 said:
What do people use for shine then?

Companies like Aubrey's & Giovanni make products that create/enhance shine that don't contain parabens and other harmful ingredients. Oftentimes, they'll contain silicone, but to my knowledge, silicone is harmless. Some hair doesn't like it, some does. This varies from person to person, but it doesn't pose a health threat.

naturallady said:
Thanks DI for the info!

You're welcome!

They dont have Giovanni or Aubrey at my hairstore.
I'll look at what they have available and see what the products contain before I buy next time. Thanks so much!

Thank for the info. Today I bought a large bottle of BioInfusion Condition and it contains PG-Propyl Methyl Silanediol. I will be taking this back tom.

trinidarkie1 said:
I'll look at what they have available and see what the products contain before I buy next time. Thanks so much!

You can get them at Vitamin Shoppe. There is one on Walnut St. I think.

Try Wholefoods, they care both products. There is one on Lancaster ave. out Wynwood. If you ever been to the littel plaza where the old Navy is, it's just a little past the turn into the plaza. They also carry them at Genuardi's. HTH's
trinidarkie1 said:

Also Avalon organics and Kiss My face (CHECK the ingredients though--maybe some of the products have them) tend not to have those things. :)

Decreasing our exposure to parabens is the reason I stopped using body lotion on myself and the kids. I use a shea butter/oil mix on our skin right out of the shower/bath instead.

Back