What am I supposed to do with this!!!

pattyr5

Ok, so my transition was for 21 months. I grabbed the scissors on Monday and cut the relaxer off because I couldn't take it anymore. The length I thought I had literally disappeared before my eyes (but I could still make a ponytail) and despite doing weekly DC treatments faithfully, my curls are dry undefined,fuzzy and don't seem to want to clump, especially not at the roots.

So what should I be doing with this hair? I attempted a twist out and braid-out but they don't seem to hold any definition despite using butters and stylers...

Also, am I a 4B or 4C....the typing is so confusing to me.

The pic of my hair didn't upload with the other post. Anyway this is what it looks like dry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 479
Your hair is gorgeous! I spray a section of my hair with African Royale Braid Spray and then apply a nickel/dime-sized amount of Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and braid/twist my hair each night. I usually have between 10-13 twists and cover with a satin bonnet. In the morning I unbraid, fluff, and style. This is what I have done going from NL to BSL natural hair.

HTH

Welcome to the curly side! Your hair looks great! It just needs some moisture and you may have to experiment to see what works.

Try this: Deep condition with a mixture of any non- protein condtioner and aloe vera gel. Cowash and detangle, rinse and leave some conditioner in, and DON'T comb it anymore after this. Smooth it with praying hands, arrange it in the shape you want and let it dry. Not combing it is the key to definition from the root. You might layer some oil or pomade over the conditioner if necessary.

This is what works for me, but again you may have to experiment with technique or product for a bit. Good luck and have fun!

P.S. Twistouts etc never work for me, because my natural curl pattern is stronger than the set, and the combing destroys my curls = frizz. HTH.

Last edited:
These are all great tips ladies! Thank you.

I checked out the 4c videos on youtube and none of them resembled my hair so I'm back to the drawing board.

For the twist out styles, how do you go about maintaining definition? Mine look puffy if I do more than undo the twist. Is anyone using a gel for hold?

I just saw you hair pic and you look 4a or 3c to me as well. Please stop worrying about hair typing its not helpful.... just do a search on here for twistouts and such. You must use products with slight hold for twistouts to last and maintain their shape.

I just saw you hair pic and you look 4a or 3c to me as well. Please stop worrying about hair typing its not helpful.... just do a search on here for twistouts and such. You must use products with slight hold for twistouts to last and maintain their shape.

I was under the impression that knowing your hair type would help you find the right products for your hair as well as giving styling options? My twist attempts were very loose so I will try again with a Camille Rose gel or butter.

The pic of my hair didn't upload with the other post. Anyway this is what it looks like dry.

Your hair looks a lot like mine. Moisture, moisture, Moisture! !!! I clarify my hair to start on a clean palette. I then steam or baggie with body heat or my heat therapy wrap for 30-45 min. Rinse out, then co wash and rinse for an extra moisture boost.

Then sealing. My strands are fine, so I use a light butter to seal. My hair likes cantu Shea butter cream. I spritz with my water based leave-in spray. Then the Cantu and seal with Oyin burnt sugar (nice light weight butter) or my castor oil butter mix. I then twist or roller set to air dry.

I find the dryer tends to dry out my hair.

If nothing else clarify then try the products you use now and try to incorporate water based products then seal with oil or butter.

Hope that helps. :)

Congrats on your BC!
I totally agree with the above poster about moisturizing and sealing. But I personally think that sealing is the most important step. Start experimenting with different oils and butters. I currently like shea and mango butter mixes. When I first went natural, my hair was extremely dry until I began to seal properly.

Is your hair this curl pattern, or similar all over? You are most definitely not a 4b/4c. What made you think that when you obviously have curls? I would guess that you're a 3c :yep:.

Besides DCing, what are you using when you've been trying to make your hair clump together? Butters have never worked for me as stylers. They make my hair even more poofy than normal. If twistouts and braidouts aren't working, what about trying wash n'gos? The more often you do wash n'gos, the more your curls get used to clumping together. At least they do for me. My hair is way kinkier than yours, but it doesn't clump at my roots either. I think Mahogany/ the tightly curly method of using conditioner instead of tradition stylers might work very well for you. If not, there are gels and custards that you can smooth through your hair after you wash, and go :yep:. Less expensive gel/custard options are EcoStyler, Eden Bobyworks Curl Creme, and Cantu Curling Custard.

Since you are newly natural (congratulations on that :grin:), don't expect your hair to come out perfect the first time you try a new style or product. You hair needs to get used to what you're trying to do, and if there's a style that your going for, do it consistently and your hair will get kind of used to it. Also, consider, or reconsider what you expect your hair to look like. In the picture that you showed, your hair didn't look dry to me. It's just frizzy which is totally normal! Only a handful of people have "perfect", super smooth curls just from DCing. With the right products and reasonable expectations, you can have hair that you love :yep:.

I would suggest that you look to type 3s for someone with similar hair as yours. Do you have a full picture of your hair? I think that could help with suggestions :yep:

Mahogany Curls
http://youtu.be/kg_bYQSWE_8

Elle
http://youtu.be/J_VAfio9vOI
http://youtu.be/etbOkT8V-M8

Last edited:
^^^ i read through some old post about hair typing and they said all 4's had curl but the b and c category were more frizzy and less defined. Since my hair is definitely lacking in definition i assumed 4c. When I can actually see the curls they range in size from like a pencil to a sharpie. But if I dry with completely naked hair i just look like a frizz ball and lacks shine.

I DC weekly with steam or under the hooded dryer so to see such dryness is surprising. My past with butters left my hair greasy and undefined but oils weren't much better. Basically the ones that played nicely with my hair were mixed with cones like the Agadir Argan oil and Organix. But since I just BC'ed on Monday i may have to revisit every single product i have ever used. My hair is just in this awkward shape and length that I truly don't know to style or wear it. Maybe i just have to wig it for a year or so.

I find hair typing useful, but you do not look like a 4b or c. From the picture, I would say you are in the 3's, maybe 3b.

^^^ i read through some old post about hair typing and they said all 4's had curl but the b and c category were more frizzy and less defined. Since my hair is definitely lacking in definition i assumed 4c. When I can actually see the curls they range in size from like a pencil to a sharpie. But if I dry with completely naked hair i just look like a frizz ball and lacks shine.

I DC weekly with steam or under the hooded dryer so to see such dryness is surprising. My past with butters left my hair greasy and undefined but oils weren't much better. Basically the ones that played nicely with my hair were mixed with cones like the Agadir Argan oil and Organix. But since I just BC'ed on Monday i may have to revisit every single product i have ever used. My hair is just in this awkward shape and length that I truly don't know to style or wear it. Maybe i just have to wig it for a year or so.

Type 3 is known as the curly category
Type 4 is coily to cotton-kinky category

Don't get disheartened!!! Your hair is different now. Try not to look at this experience of trial and error as a burden, or as if something isn't right, embrace it as a new adventure :yep:. You've never dealt with your hair as it is now. You're not likely to get it off the bat, and that's totally fine :yep:. I think hiding under a wig or braids would be doing yourself a disservice. Don't give up when you haven't let your hair get used to you yet.

Keep up with your deep conditioning etc. It took me from October to now to get my hair to act like she had some sense.

Once the "transition without big chop" is over a whole new aspect of the journey begins. "Operation Get Natcha to Act Right"

Ok, so my transition was for 21 months. I grabbed the scissors on Monday and cut the relaxer off because I couldn't take it anymore. The length I thought I had literally disappeared before my eyes (but I could still make a ponytail) and despite doing weekly DC treatments faithfully, my curls are dry undefined,fuzzy and don't seem to want to clump, especially not at the roots.

So what should I be doing with this hair? I attempted a twist out and braid-out but they don't seem to hold any definition despite using butters and stylers...

Also, am I a 4B or 4C....the typing is so confusing to me.

I did the BC last week and my hair was still dry and frizzy and so I decided to shave it to get new hair, I suspected I had left over scab hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Back