WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??????

crlsweetie912 said:
did you say you use a bonnet after you wrap? That would never work for me. I have to tie my hair down with a scarf. That would be poof city for me no matter what type of products I use. Just a thought....

Oh, no I wrap it up tightly. A bonnet would just slide right off.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Shadiyah said:
I don't know much about flat ironing but your hair looks longer in the poofy state.

I'm super tall. It just looks that way with the fitted top. It doesn't revert though, it just gets bigger.

Triniwegian

Like others have said, the moisture in your environment plays a role but also the treatment given to your hair before blow drying plays a role as well.

My hair used to do the same thing until I started pre-pooing with a few different oils for an extended period of time before straightening my hair.

Here are my before and after using the pre-poo process. Google "A Natural's Recipe For Successfully Flat Ironed Hair" for a tutorial in pre-pooing and there are also additional links for more info on straightening in each article.

I see you use high heat with the flat iron. I have found that doesn't work for me, instead I use high heat when I blow dry and low slow heat when flat ironing. When I did it the other way, my hair would revert after a day. I don't know why, but it works.

I forgot to mention leave in conditioner. I use a silk-something serum.

@Triniwegian, that's your first mistake. Applying a leave-in makes your serum not protect your hair well. Also if you have some product that isn't a heat protectant on your hair before you flat iron, you end up burning that product which leads to that awful smell we associate with flat ironing, and who knows what reaction you create between serum and the product that makes the serum not work as it would it if were not changed in anyway.

Secondly, I think the mistake people make is they do not apply serum well. I asked how you applied your serum because if you just rubbed it between palms and then smoothed it through your hair, then you didn't apply it well. You're better off parting a narrow section, applying a little amount to your fingers and then smoothing it over that narrow section with your fingers almost touching each other because there's such a thin section of hair between them. This ensures that the strands are very well coated. You don't need to use a lot, but you do need to make sure every inch of your strands is coated, otherwise what's the point.

You probably should read @westNDNbeauty's flatironing tips. Moisturizing should take place during the conditioning stage of your wash. The only thing that should be on your hair after you finish washing is protectant: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

Last edited:
I have never posted on the forums before and I am jumping on your experience if you don't mind..
This is what I did

Pre Poo: Coconut oil with Honey Olive Oil and Ms. Jessie's Super Sweetback Treatment

Shampoo: Sulfate Free Dual Action Shampoo (twice in four braided sections)
Condition: Aphoghee Two Minute Reconstructor rinsed out with cold water

To Stretch: Curl formers with Giovanni Direct Leave In with Long and Wides in the back and Narrow and Long in the front
(Air dried mostly and sat under a dryer for 30 minutes and it looked lovely and shiny)

Flat Iron: Used Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide about Quarter Size for entire head and then flat iron in sections with FHI 7/8 Iron at 375-400 with two passes towards roots and one pass on ends

Then... Wrapped a night
Then... Saran Wrapped next day

8 hours later I am left slightly depressed and frustrated my hair feels coated and tangly and it's not straight. I have 4c /b natural hair.... what did I do wrong?

Any suggestions... I am really sad and discouraged

What i have found works for me is:

-Deep conditioning overnight beforehand for moisture.
-Blowdrying gives a smoother flatiron.
-Using a really hot ceramic iron.
-An after DCing do not apply any product except for Chi Silk Infusion.
-Wrap at night and do a silk wrap the next day.
-Do Not under any circumstances use any products that have water or a humectant as an ingredient. Those products cause crazy frizz for me.
-Baggy ends at night with a little castor oil.

I have thick, fine 3c/4a ish hair.

I did 2 BKTs earlier this year and although my hair was Glorious! I did experience sever breakage after the fact.
If you do a BKT dont overdo the heat and make sure you take extra, extra care of your hair after. I didnt really do much to mine and my ends were really brittle.

Looking back I probably shouldnt have done the BKT 2x and should have been more into taking care of my hair because now I am paying for it with uneven ends. :nono:

I did like the BKT though. It made my hair feel really nice and my flatiron lasted for 2 whole weeks with zero frizzing and zero reversion(which I have never been able to achieve before.) My curls are a little looser after as well and clump together better. Which I think is a plus... Minus the breakage...

All in all, be very careful if you decide to do a BKT, without I was usually able to keep my hair nice for a good 4 days with my other steps.

if you're like me it could simply be your technique. i would skip the bkt and extra products and let someone else straighten it.

I have never posted on the forums before and I am jumping on your experience if you don't mind..
This is what I did

Pre Poo: Coconut oil with Honey Olive Oil and Ms. Jessie's Super Sweetback Treatment

Shampoo: Sulfate Free Dual Action Shampoo (twice in four braided sections)
Condition: Aphoghee Two Minute Reconstructor rinsed out with cold water

To Stretch: Curl formers with Giovanni Direct Leave In with Long and Wides in the back and Narrow and Long in the front
(Air dried mostly and sat under a dryer for 30 minutes and it looked lovely and shiny)

Flat Iron: Used Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide about Quarter Size for entire head and then flat iron in sections with FHI 7/8 Iron at 375-400 with two passes towards roots and one pass on ends

Then... Wrapped a night
Then... Saran Wrapped next day

8 hours later I am left slightly depressed and frustrated my hair feels coated and tangly and it's not straight. I have 4c /b natural hair.... what did I do wrong?

Any suggestions... I am really sad and discouraged

@brownladygodiva, see the post just before yours, I address some of the mistakes you make. You should get your moisture from DCing not a leave-in. That leave-in is a mistake. What should be on your hair before you apply heat is nothing else but heat protectant. Read the link to WestNDNBeauty's thread in my post.

Also the "quarter size" threw me off. I think you should use as much as your hair needs. I don't know how a quarter size of anything can coat your hair well unless you have a TWA.

Last edited:
Back