What am I doing wrong with my henna?

Brinasia

I would like to henna my hair but I put in a piece of paper towel in it to see if it the color has released. the paper towel never turns red. I put in a teaspoon of apple cider and warm water. What am I doing wrong?

What kind of henna are you using? How long did you let the henna sit for color release? What is in your henna mix?

I would like to henna my hair but I put in a piece of paper towel in it to see if it the color has released. the paper towel never turns red. I put in a teaspoon of apple cider and warm water. What am I doing wrong?

The same thing happened to me. I though tthat the henna did not release, but it did. I let it sit with a little lemon juice. It wasn't until I flat ironed my hair that I did see my hair took some color. Since you used a terp, make sure it sits for a minimum of 6-8 hours, and you should be fine.

Im using Jamila....Its been sitting on my counter since yesterday. Can I still use it. What is a terp.

Im using Jamila....Its been sitting on my counter since yesterday. Can I still use it. What is a terp.

A terp is something acidic that will allow the henna dye to "release" so that color will be deposited into the hair. Lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, etc.

How many hours was it sitting out? I think you should be ok. I have left henna sitting in my living room for like 3 days once and my hair was fine

I thought the same thing, but believe me you, it had released plenty! It released so much that I my hair looked red even when it was wet...I was scared I would look like bozo the clown when it was dry LOL. I only mixed mine with water and let it sit overnight for 12 hours.

ok ladies...Ive tried the henna..Im DC now...goig to also do a oir rinse....will let you know how it comes out.

Hey Brinasia, how did the hair turn out? Jamila usually needs 24 hours so the henna was fine I'm sure. Indian henna usually needs 5-6 hours and Moroccan 2-4. Keep us updated!

Hey,
I put the color in Wednesday and rinsed it out Thursday morning . It came out nice cover the few strands of gray I have. I had ahieved so much growth. I swithched to a lye perm and my hair is now coming out so badly. I braided it up . Im hoping the henna helps with the shedding. Im staying braided until May. Thanks ladies.

Back