WHAT??? AM I DOING WRONG -ROLLERSETS AND BROKEN HAIRS

MRJ1972

Whenever I rollerset my hair and comb it out, I have tons of broken hairs...("C" shaped strands) all over the floor and counter!!!!:wallbash:

Am I missing an important step?:perplexed

I cant afford to loose any hair...I am 4b relaxed, fine and thin!!!:nono:

what are you using when you set your hair?

in my experience with roller setting, if i use too much product, my hair dries kind of stiff and is prone to break.

also, are you using a comb? fine toothed? with a seam? i never comb. i use my fingers to take out the curls.

Whenever I rollerset my hair and comb it out, I have tons of broken hairs...("C" shaped strands) all over the floor and counter!!!!:wallbash:

Am I missing an important step?:perplexed

I cant afford to loose any hair...I am 4b relaxed, fine and thin!!!:nono:

^^ I agree. I rollerset weekly with plain water and use my fingers to "comb" out my curls. I never comb dry hair and have no problems with breakage.

I'm natural, but used to use Curl Formers--kind of like a roller set. I always got broken hairs. It was very frustrating. I hope you find out how you can solve the problem.

I dont use much product..I one of the 2- ALL WATER or Infusium 23 heavily dilluted with water!! Regular sized comb, sometimes a paddle brush...same results!

I just dont get it!!!!:wallbash:

I am having the same problem. I thought that it may be a combination of my setting lotion mixture and the tension from wrapping my hair on the roller. I would like to know what others suggest.

at that point do you use a paddle brush? i only use a boar bristle brush to wrap my hair... and even then it's very minimal.

do you roll your hair very tightly?

I dont use much product..I one of the 2- ALL WATER or Infusium 23 heavily dilluted with water!! Regular sized comb, sometimes a paddle brush...same results!

I just dont get it!!!!:wallbash:

My hair does the same thing too. I hope this doesn't sound contrite....but I stop worrying about it (ducks under desk). My hair is still growing and is getting healthier. I stop stressing myself out everytime I see a hair on the sink.

I dont think that I am rolling the hair too tight because sometimes I have to use to clips in order for the rollers not to flop...

When I remove the rollers, I apply a shine serum and then start wrapping the hair around into a wrap with the comb and then I go over it with a paddle brush, or boars bristle brush....This has ALWAYS happened to me when I DIY...Might be my technique :look:..I have NEVER been successul as a DIY but I dont have money for weekly salon visits and I really want to obtain healthy hair on my own!:yep:

My hair does the same thing too. I hope this doesn't sound contrite....but I stop worrying about it (ducks under desk). My hair is still growing and is getting healthier. I stop stressing myself out everytime I see a hair on the sink.

Thanks, I agree...At least I know I am not alone! :ohwell:

It's just so scary when you have hair as paperthin as mine, you cant afford to loose any!!!

I was having the same problem when I first started my journey. I was not really deep conditioning and was not incorporating protein at all and my hair's condition was just ok. I hardly have any breakage now. I roller set and either finger comb to wear curls or carefully brush down with a paddle brush.

How are your ends, mine were really bad when I was having breakage.

I'd advise against the infusium, I had bad results the firts and only time I rollerset with Infusium.

I rollerset with a creamy, moisturising leave in and constantly wet my hair while rollersetting. Combing should be done with a wide tooth comb, if at all.

Hope you're not rollersetting too tight cos as your hair dries, it shrinks back to it's normal state and may snap off...

Last edited:
What kind of rollers do you use?

Are you gentle when taking them out?

When you place the clips in the roller, does hair get caught in the clips?

Are you slow and gentle removing the clips?

Have you tried a leave in other than Infusium?

Have you tried putting a serum on after your leave in, so you get slip while combing wet hair?

co-signing here.

I have fine, thin hair as well and i used to use infusium 23 but it really did nothing for my hair. and i don't want to -just- use water. i need a little more slip to assist with the detangling/rolling/etc.

creamy moisturuizer is the way to go. I use giovanni direct leave in and i looove it. it's only 7.99 for one bottle. i also, spray my hair with water mixed with the leave in as i do my roller sets. i never have breakage. only shed hairs.

maybe you might want to see where you can cut back on combing..? that's really the only other thing i can think of.

I'd advise against the infusium, I had bad results the firts and only time I rollerset with Infusium.

I rollerset with a creamy leave in and constantly wet my hair while rollersetting. Combing should be done with a wide tooth comb, if at all.

same here :)

before i did my rollerset last night, i washed with Tresemme anti-breakage conditioner, dc'ed, and used Herbal Essences leave-in split end protector. i didn't have any problems with breakage. maybe you should try some strengthening products.

Same here but I never considered it excessive. I think it's pretty common because of the slight tension that's put on the end of the hair. I use end papers and still happens. I remove my end papers very carefully, unlike when you go to a salon and they just snatch them out. I think it's ok as long as your hair is doing well.

I experience major breakage when I rollerset too. I think it has to do with using a fine tooth comb. I wonder what I should do... does finger combing actually work?

I experience major breakage when I rollerset too. I think it has to do with using a fine tooth comb. I wonder what I should do... does finger combing actually work?

I can only use a fine tooth comb 4-5 weeks after a relaxer. After that, I have to go up a size. If I stretch for more than 10 weeks, I have to go up one more size.

Do you detangle that section before combing it with the small tooth comb? I go through each small section with a wide tooth comb, then go back over it with the rattail comb

Back