Wet to Dry Flat Irons

Hello Ladies,
Have any of you tried the wet to dry flat irons? I purchased a ceramic one from Sally's about two minths ago. I really like it, but found that the 2 1/4" makes my hair stick straight in one or two passes, and the 1" can curl my hair perfectly, but takes about four passes to dry. I perfer curls.
This thing has saved so much time! I used to blow dry, then curl iron. About 1 hour total time (3b, 4a hair). Then I switched to the steam setter rollers(like vidal sassoon, caruso) and just blew dried my hair, but it still took 30 mins blow dry, and 20 mins steam setting. The flat iron dries and sets perfect curls in just under 30 mins. Wow. Less shedding- maybe 10-20 strands versus way more from pulling the round brush through my hair. And a great way to infuse conditioner into the hair.

What kind is it? I have wanted to try them (would be perfect for the gym). How wet is your hair when you use it? Do you towel dry?

Hi, I just checked and it's by CurlMaster from Sally's about $40 I think. I first purchased the 2 1/4" but it made my hair to straight so I exchanged it for the 1". The wider one would let me begin to use it when my hair was pretty wet. Say towel dried only. The narrower one requires too much work. I think my hair is too long for it, and believe me my hair ain't that long- just tomy shoulders. So with the 1" I let it air dry to just damp, then apply heat product like CHI, or some silicone based heat protectant, mousse then style away...
I also ordered a "better" tourmaline wet to dry iron, but it hasn't arrived yet- supposed to make hair even shinier than ceramic and produce more Ions, and is a bit wider 1 3/4".

hair_03.jpg

Bubble hair

People will tell you that their bubble hair 'just happened', quite suddenly, after they had been doing the same things to their hair for a long time. Then all at once they noticed tiny 'bubbles' in the ends of their hair.
Invariably, bubble hair is caused by some kind of heating appliance, most often curling irons.
These operate somewhere between 120 and 180 °C, roughly speaking. Water boils at 100 °C. If a hot curling iron is put on to wet hair, it boils the water inside the hair. The boiling water softens the keratin of the cortex; then the steam from the boiling water expands and forms tiny bubbles inside the hair. Eventually the hair breaks off, either at or somewhere near a bubble.
Every woman who has used curling irons knows that they work better on some days than others. One day she may have them just a little hotter than usual: that might be just enough to cause bubble hair, and for the affected hair to break off.
Although the sufferer usually claims that her hair was perfectly normal until she changed the hair product she was using, further enquiry always uncovers a history of increased or excessive cosmetic treatments. Usually bubble hair happens to people who are doing a lot of styling to their hair at home. And it is always, always associated with the use of heated appliances on damp hair.

weaveitup said:
hair_03.jpg

Bubble hair

People will tell you that their bubble hair 'just happened', quite suddenly, after they had been doing the same things to their hair for a long time. Then all at once they noticed tiny 'bubbles' in the ends of their hair.
Invariably, bubble hair is caused by some kind of heating appliance, most often curling irons.
These operate somewhere between 120 and 180 °C, roughly speaking. Water boils at 100 °C. If a hot curling iron is put on to wet hair, it boils the water inside the hair. The boiling water softens the keratin of the cortex; then the steam from the boiling water expands and forms tiny bubbles inside the hair. Eventually the hair breaks off, either at or somewhere near a bubble.
Every woman who has used curling irons knows that they work better on some days than others. One day she may have them just a little hotter than usual: that might be just enough to cause bubble hair, and for the affected hair to break off.
Although the sufferer usually claims that her hair was perfectly normal until she changed the hair product she was using, further enquiry always uncovers a history of increased or excessive cosmetic treatments. Usually bubble hair happens to people who are doing a lot of styling to their hair at home. And it is always, always associated with the use of heated appliances on damp hair.

Wow, thats the exact reason why I would never apply something hot like that directly to damp or wet hair.

ravensunshine said:
I also ordered a "better" tourmaline wet to dry iron, but it hasn't arrived yet- supposed to make hair even shinier than ceramic and produce more Ions, and is a bit wider 1 3/4".

Are you talking about the T3 Tourmaline flat iron. I didn't get the wet to dry one but I got the 1 3/8" regular one that you can flat iron and curl with.

weaveitup said:
If a hot curling iron is put on to wet hair, it boils the water inside the hair. The boiling water softens the keratin of the cortex; then the steam from the boiling water expands and forms tiny bubbles inside the hair. Eventually the hair breaks off, either at or somewhere near a bubble.
This is precisely why I refuse to use wet/dry flat irons.

Kristenxdollface said:
*sigh*

I should have known wet to dry flat irons are too good to be true

Well, don't fret ladies. The iron is designed to release the excess moisture through vents and little holes- to prevent bubble hair. This is not a regular flat iron, or curling iron. Now I can't say that i've been doing this for years, but over the past couple of months, I have not seen any changes in my hair, but less breakage from pulling when blowing it dry.
Yes, the newer iron just arrived today- the Tourmaline T3 wet to dry. I haven't tried it yet, but the width is a little wider than the 1" I use, so I'm hopping it'll dry in one pass.

Thank you ladies for the information exchange! This is great, I love, love, love the wealth of information we have to share!

I have been thinking about the T3 but that may be a little out of my reach, but I have been eyeing the Sedu and the Solia on Folica.com. Ravensunshine is your hair natural or relaxed? I want to be able to use these on my teenager's natural hair to give her some versatility.

I bought a cheapy version by Conair ($29.99) and tried it out on my daughter. I posted a pic in my album. Are u supposed to at lease towel dry really well because it took me a couple of passes before it dried. But it came out good - much better than blowdrying. But it did frizz up by the morning. Anyone who uses this - what is your process and what product(s) do u use with it? Thanks.

This post is moving along :lol: Well Sistawithsumthing, I use a Bodiphier on my hair. The Bodiphier is made by Freshlook.com. It's natural & helps decrease frizz, repel humidity, and define curls. I really love it- no burning,or breakage. Anyhow that's a topic for another thread.
I have 3b,3c, & 4a hair. I usually wear my hair smooth, but now that the temp is going back up (109 degrees here today in Phoenix) I'm wearing it air dried about 1/2 the week and smooth the other 1/2.
I would suggest letting the hair towel dry a bit 5-10 mins before starting and always apply a protective heat barrier- silicone or something. Sopping wet hair would just take too much time I think. The wider the plates the fewer times you will need to pass the iron over the hair- but the straighter it will be. Unless it's being used on short hair, then the 1" wide plat should be perfect.
I haven't tried the new T3 Tourmaline yet, I ran out of time this morning and just let it air dry. I'll do it in the morning and report back in the evening.

OK, I tried my new T3 tourmaline wet to dry falt iron- hair is like glass!! I don't believe it. Yep, quality apliances make a huge difference. This dries, straightens, and shines shines, shines in one to two passes. Now, the down side, the wider 1 3/4" plates don't allow me to do the ringlet style curls I love- like I can with a 1". But, I can still flip and do basic curls. Hair still has loads of body and swing. Its a real keeper!

Thank you so much for letting us know about your results! But now I don't know what to do, I am torn between the Sedu, Solia and saving up for the T3 plus I think I am a PJ on top of it all! What is a girl to do?:confused:

Right now I am wearing braids but my relaxed hair underneath is very short. I would love to go natural without my husband even realizing it:cool: especially since my hair grows fast anyway and this MTG is growing it even faster!

Ravensunshine you definintely helped me make up my mind that no matter what I get it will be a 1" flat iron. Did you try yours while it was still wet or dry?

Hi Sistawithsumthin,
I tried my wet to dry while my hair was damp, very damp. If you r wondering about the whole investment part u can try the one at Sally's for about $35-40. Not too steep for a good iron, and yet u can then make up ur mind after trying it out. If u try it and absolutely hate it then Sally's does offer a return for about 1 month on electrical apliances, so nothing lost. Glad to read that the MTG is working for u- I haven't jumped on that band wagon- yet.

Thanks for replying. Okay now I have even another question. Just for the sake of experimenting is there anyone around that you can try the T3 on that has natural 3c or 4a or 4b hair? Between me and my daughter those are our hair types and I was curious as to how straight the hair gets on those natural hair types.

Sally's is a great suggestion. There is one close to my house. Did your hair stay pretty straight after a day or two? Did you have to do any touching up?

ravensunshine said:
OK, I tried my new T3 tourmaline wet to dry falt iron- hair is like glass!! I don't believe it. Yep, quality apliances make a huge difference. This dries, straightens, and shines shines, shines in one to two passes. Now, the down side, the wider 1 3/4" plates don't allow me to do the ringlet style curls I love- like I can with a 1". But, I can still flip and do basic curls. Hair still has loads of body and swing. Its a real keeper!

Raven I bought the T3 but not the wet to dry. I got the 1 3/8" flat iron. I tried it last night and it was amazing. My hair was shiney and smooth without much effort. It's small enough that I can do flips or spiral type curls.

It's a keeper. I just returned the True Ceramic Pro (I had to put it on 400 for it to get my hair smooth).

Now the T3 I have goes for $160 at Sephora. I have seen it as low as $145 on the web. BUT I got mine from ebay for $71.50 and it is worth every penny.

I was looking at the Chi and the Sedu also but decided on this and I am happy with it.

Well sista, whatever type of hair you have....I WANT IT!!!! :lachen: U have gorgeous hair girl.

Irresistible said:
well i think i probably have bubble hair , cause I press wet to dry. I dunno

lol girl , thank you
I was thinkin uh oh what have I done to my hair when I read this thread. Cause I always press it wet. had me worried about bubbles in my hair lol

Mizani_Mrs said:
Well sista, whatever type of hair you have....I WANT IT!!!! :lachen: U have gorgeous hair girl.

Back