Went to the derm for follow up...

OneShinyface

after Accutane. She continued to reassure me about the hair thinning. It helps that she's African American with type 2 w/bra strap-length, highlighted hair. Her hair is thin due to heredity and changes after having her kids. She advised me not to cut it (yay since I didn't plan to anyway). She said at its current length, which a couple inches above bra strap in the back, the hair is about 2-2 1/2 years old. She told me to keep up with the B vitamins - no A at all - and keep using the essential oils. She also said that if I don't see improvements in 3-4 months, come back and see her. She kept saying that most people won't notice that my hair is thinner, but she doesn't understand that people - including my in-laws thought my hair was a weave. My husband's aunts would come up and feel my hair for tracks then ask me to shake my head so they could watch it bounce.
I've seen a tremendous improvement in the shedding over the past few weeks. I usually shed at least 75-100 hairs a day anyway, but I'm not seeing the handfuls of hair at wash time like I was in January./images/graemlins/clap.gif

Just wanted to share the good news. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

Thanks for sharing your news.

B vitamins (super b complex to be exact) was what helped me grow my hair out due to thinning (back in 1998/1999). Due to medication, my hair had thinned out quite a bit (so much that everyone noticed). I decided to get it cut in a Bob (up to my ear lobes). I wasn't happy with it, but I learned to love it. I started taking Nature Made Super B-Complex. It helped out a lot (that was the only vitamin I took back then), and I regained my super thickness AND more length. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, start popping those b vitamins and keep up with your good hair routine. Your hair will thicken up again in no time.

BTW, I purchased a big ole bottle of Nature Made Super-B Complex the other day. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's good news, Oneshinyface. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Please keep us posted on your progress. I have to check my supply of B-vitamins... /images/graemlins/look.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Allandra said:
BTW, I purchased a big ole bottle of Nature Made Super-B Complex the other day. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Allandra, where do you buy those vits?

SexyGyrlNY said:
Hey Allandra, where do you buy those vits?

[/ QUOTE ]
I purchased them from Drug Store.Com
They were on sale, and it arrived super fast. I ordered it on February 28, and I received it on March 3. HTH. BTW, you can also purchase these at: CVS, Eckerd and Walgreens.

Thanks for the well wishes Allandra! I need them for every time I run across an old picture.

I hit Whole Foods on the way from the derm to stock up on their house brand B-Complex. Where'd you score the Nature Made?? I can always return the Whole Foods brand.

My kitchen cabinet that used to contain cough syrup and Aleve is now full of vitamins. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

OneShinyface said:
I hit Whole Foods on the way from the derm to stock up on their house brand B-Complex. Where'd you score the Nature Made?? I can always return the Whole Foods brand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please see my post above. HTH. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi I had taken Accutane also about 2 1/2 years ago. I had no idea that it could be the cause of my thin hair and it is still very thin now. You also mentioned that your doctor suggested to stay away from Vit. A. Why? I will be making an appointment to see my doctor this week coming thanks for sharing this with us it has really helped.

thanx for sharin the good news girl and dont worry coz soon yo hair will have the same thickness that it used to be and u'll have yo relatives feelin for tracks agen /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Hi Msladyfreestyle! Glad I could help.

I have to stay away from the Vit. A because that's what the Accutane is made of and it stays in the system for a while after you stop taking it. By taking it, you're actually overdosing on Vitamin A and one of the side effects of too much A is hair loss. My derm says she has about one person each year who suffers from severe hair loss while on Accutane. I guess I drew the short straw this time. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

How long were you on the Acctane? Did it help your skin? What have you used to help the thinning? Keep me posted on your derm visit.

Back