Went swimming & had soft hair afterward

MeccaMedinah

On Sunday I went to a friend's house and swam for a couple of hours. I slathered Herbal Essence Intensive Blends conditioner (green bottle) on my hair and made three little buns before getting in the water. Afterward I washed my hair with CON & then added some more of the Herbal Essence conditioner (great slip) & rinsed. I partially airdried in a bun. Later that night I twisted my hair with a shea butter/aloe vera gel/olive oil mixture that I made. When I wore my twist out on Monday my hair was soooo soft. I have really soft hair again today, too.
Just wanted to share this, because I'll be in the pool or at the beach all summer long, as I am sure many of you will.

MeccaMedinah said:
On Sunday I went to a friend's house and swam for a couple of hours. I slathered Herbal Essence Intensive Blends conditioner (green bottle) on my hair and made three little buns before getting in the water. Afterward I washed my hair with CON & then added some more of the Herbal Essence conditioner (great slip) & rinsed. I partially airdried in a bun. Later that night I twisted my hair with a shea butter/aloe vera gel/olive oil mixture that I made. When I wore my twist out on Monday my hair was soooo soft. I have really soft hair again today, too.
Just wanted to share this, because I'll be in the pool or at the beach all summer long, as I am sure many of you will.

Sounds exactly like my routine except I use humectress and put hair in big braids/cornrows before swimming. This *solves* my hair hair issues as an avid swimmer/diver . . .

Thanks for the tip. This will be great when I go on vacation.

Great tips!

Do you guys wear a swimming cap on top of all that? If you don't wear one, how do you keep the conditioner from washing out in the pool water?

Jessy55 said:
Great tips!

Do you guys wear a swimming cap on top of all that? If you don't wear one, how do you keep the conditioner from washing out in the pool water?

I don't wear a cap so there's no way to prevent some of the condish from washing away. The key is to "coat" your hair with something to provide a barrier between your hair and the chorine in pool water or hard minerals in sea water. In fact, if no condish, it is best to first wet you hair with *regular* water because hair will then absorb less of the chemicals/minerals if already wet (think of a totally saturated sponge and put in water, won't absorb much more, if any). Thus, first wet hair with regular water, then lightly coat with condish and I'm good to go. Each time I exit the water, I rinse my hair with regular water and coat with condish again until I can do a real wash at ends of day. . .

Jessy55 said:
Great tips!

Nope, no cap for me. Some of the conditioner washed away. But I still had a protective barrier from the conditioner. When I got out of the pool I still had alot of conditioner in my hair. The particular conditioner I used is very thick. I also think rolling my hair into buns helped hold in some of the conditioner.

Back