Well whaddaya know, Pantene Changed their fragrance (RANT)

JaneiR36

Yep. I just finished my R&N Conditioner today and quickly launched into a new one like I've been doing religiously for the past few months (especially for CO washes). When I sniffed the new bottle which strangely had a slightly different design, I nearly barfed. The scent is not horrible, it's just... um... somewhat botanical, but basically WHO THE HELL HAD THE BRIGHT IDEA TO CHANGE PANTENE'S TRADEMARK FRAGRANCE?!?!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Gawd!!!! Some people need a HOLE drilled in their brain followed by the words "If it ain't broke, don't fixed it" poured into it. I'm just so mad. Now I have to look for another drugstore moisturizing conditioner as much as I loved their old formula :mad:

By the way, I confirmed this by giving them a call. The lady said they're doing it not only to the R&N line, but to ALL their products, except the oil sheen. I guess I don't know how true that is, yet. You all will have to slowly buy your favorite products and let us know.

For those of you who don't know me 'cos I rarely post in the Hair board, Uh... hello, then :) :wave:

JaneiR36 said:
Yep. I just finished my R&N Conditioner today and quickly launched into a new one like I've been doing religiously for the past few months (especially for CO washes). When I sniffed the new bottle which strangely had a slightly different design, I nearly barfed. The scent is not horrible, it's just... um... somewhat botanical, but basically WHO THE HELL HAD THE BRIGHT IDEA TO CHANGE PANTENE'S TRADEMARK FRAGRANCE?!?!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Gawd!!!! Some people need a HOLE drilled in their brain followed by the words "If it ain't broke, don't fixed it" poured into it. I'm just so mad. Now I have to look for another drugstore moisturizing conditioner as much as I loved their old formula :mad:

By the way, I confirmed this by giving them a call. The lady said they're doing it not only to the R&N line, but to ALL their products, except the oil sheen. I guess I don't know how true that is, yet. You all will have to slowly buy your favorite products and let us know.

For those of you who don't know me 'cos I rarely post in the Hair board, Uh... hello, then :) :wave:
I personally do not like Patene products that are designed for ethnic hair; I have found that "blue color" line is alot more moisturizing. But I am not sure why they change the smell. Probally need to find out what is and what is suppose to do.

star said:
I personally do not like Patene products that are designed for ethnic hair; I have found that "blue color" line is alot more moisturizing. But I am not sure why they change the smell. Probally need to find out what is and what is suppose to do.

hi star:
you must be referring to pantene classic clean. i love this one too. it seems more moisturizing than the moisture line (golden bronze color)!

Yeah they changed from their other "signature" scent a few years ago. I liked the old one better...

Maybe I'll actually like this new one then! :) LOL!

Yep, this is about the third change I'm aware of. I have Hydrating Curls and picked up the "new formula" with amino acid protiens added. I liked the very first scent they had, then got used to the one before the new change. I personally don't care for the new scent either....oh well, guess I'd better grab the some of the older bottles while they are still on the shelf...

Last edited:
I'm glad they changed it. It started to give me a headache(I've used it for years).

Creme of Nature needs to follow suit. I don't use it because of the smell.

that other smell was too loud and im wondering if it gave me headaches too...i'll sniff the bottles on the shelf and prolly wont buy none cuz their products really r not all that with me

ladylibra_30 said:
hi star:
you must be referring to pantene classic clean. i love this one too. it seems more moisturizing than the moisture line (golden bronze color)!

Yes, thats what I was referring too. They just came out with golden bronze line but I do not think they put their foot in like their other lines. ;)

wow cool I didn't know this hasn't always been their scent. I'm pretty sure I bought Pantene like five years ago. When was this change exactly?

Yeah, the new bottles are being marked "NEW" with "Amino acids added" on the front or something like that. They all smell disgusting. YUCK! I was going to get the R&N conditioner for sure, but out of the entire line, that's the one that dissapears off the shelves first (black folk need moisture conditioner...lol). There are still some old shampoo left along w/the oil moisturizer and wrapping lotion. Across the other lines too, it's a mix of old and new left. It just depends on which one is in higher demand, that will finish and need to be restocked first :nono:

Back