Weird Statement...

NitaChantell

So, I'm sitting at my desk at work, and this white girl looks at me and says "I love your hair!" I immediately smiled and said thank you! Then she walks into the office and continues by saying " Yea, if I was black, I would definitely rock that hairstyle, I'm sure it's alot easier, with ethnic hair, right?":perplexed:rolleyes:

HA! My first reaction was just the :ohwell: face, but then I politely told her, "No, in fact it's pretty much the same as any hair. I still wash (cowash) it everyday, and moisturize it!." She just said "Oh" and told me again how nice it looked. Lol. I was a little offended at first by the way she used "black" and "ethnic", but not I take it as her wanting her hair to curl up like mines without manipulation.

This was just too funny to me! Oh, btw I have a blonde-ish twa.

Some people should have a "think" button on their wrist so that they can press it before they open their mouth. LOL

I don't see anything wrong with what she said.

Were you offended that she said the words BLACK or ETHNIC? or that she said she'd wear the style if she was black?

White people don't usually have our type of hair, so that's why she said "If she was black".........and they are entitled to use the words black and ethnic.

I don't think she meant any harm. I think she was really complimenting you.

Take the compliment. :yep:

I don't think there was anything wrong with her statement...or at least if it were said to me, it wouldn't bother me.
If you think about it, a white person's TWA is just a short haircut, because for the most part, they don't have texture like black or other "ethnic" people do. Without "ethnic" or "black" hair, she really can't duplicate the hairstyle that you have. And if she went and tried, she'd need to use chemicals, which still wouldn't give her your look. She'd more likely look like she had a bad jheri curl put in.

So maybe she should have put it more delicately or something, but she's correct. It is easier to rock a TWA (or an afro of any size) when you naturally have highly textured hair. Because without the texture, it's not a fro! :lachen:

So, I'm sitting at my desk at work, and this white girl looks at me and says "I love your hair!" I immediately smiled and said thank you! Then she walks into the office and continues by saying " Yea, if I was black, I would definitely rock that hairstyle, I'm sure it's alot easier, with ethnic hair, right?":perplexed:rolleyes:

HA! My first reaction was just the :ohwell: face, but then I politely told her, "No, in fact it's pretty much the same as any hair. I still wash (cowash) it everyday, and moisturize it!." She just said "Oh" and told me again how nice it looked. Lol. I was a little offended at first by the way she used "black" and "ethnic", but not I take it as her wanting her hair to curl up like mines without manipulation.

This was just too funny to me! Oh, btw I have a blonde-ish twa.

I do not think she meant any harm

I don't see anything wrong with what she said.

Were you offended that she said the words BLACK or ETHNIC? or that she said she'd wear the style if she was black?

White people don't usually have our type of hair, so that's why she said "If she was black".........and they are entitled to use the words black and ethnic.

I don't think she meant any harm. I think she was really complimenting you.

Take the compliment. :yep:
I was about to say the same thing, i dont see any offensive word in her statement.
Sometimes we get offended and the other person did not said anything to get offended by.

That's two compliments right there. I don't see how else she could have said it. I guess she could have said "If I had a tighter curl pattern" or "If I had a kinkier/curlier texture" but since most blacks range from 3a-4c, it seems like a logical generalization.

People at my job compliment me all the time. "Wishing" they had my "type of hair" :lachen:

I would have definitely taken what she said as a compliment and nothing more :yep:. I have white and hispanic friends who are always telling me how they envy afro-textured hair and wish they could rock a fro. One's gone so far as to plan to grow her hair out and get a really curly perm in hopes of having a blonde and pink pseudo-fro :lachen:.

I agree.

But if she'd said "If I had a tighter curl pattern" or "If I had a kinkier/curlier texture" some black folks would have a problem with that too. :perplexed

That's two compliments right there. I don't see how else she could have said it. I guess she could have said "If I had a tighter curl pattern" or "If I had a kinkier/curlier texture" but since most blacks range from 3a-4c, it seems like a logical generalization.

People at my job compliment me all the time. "Wishing" they had my "type of hair" :lachen:

I didn't find her statement offensive. I would take it as a compliment and just leave it at that.

This was just too funny to me!
Oh, btw I have a blonde-ish twa.

I was only offended at first because of the way she said it, but like I said, I took it as her wanting my hair, which is a compliment. I just never heard anyone white say that to me, so I was taken back. But, I'm definitely not offended now, I was just in awe, like whoa, did she really just say that?

i thinking it was a lame compliement that ould easily be taken the wrong way also cause white folks son't think we can grow hair and don't understand the concept of shrinkage, she doesn't know any better bless her heart i think it was well intentioned.

Back