Weird results from homemade conditoner recipe

moore.1506

Hey ladies I know im not much of a poster even after 4 years!!!:blush:

But anyway I have a question, bear with me im kinda long winded. *Looking for answers from any hair type relaxed or natural.*

I just celebrated my 1 year nappyversary (whoot whoot). And I wanted to get back into being more serious about hair care so I put Henna in my hair. Washed it and other than less breakage my hair didn't feel much different. A week latter washed it and the same thing. So about 5 days after that (last night) I washed it and put in a homemad conditoner from a natural beauty book I bought. Some things I added myself.

• rose water ( I added this myself, I recently made rose water from fresh rose petals and had too much left over)
  • vegtable glycerian
  • olive oil
  • 3 eggs (recipe called for 2)
  • yogurt (added myself)
  • ORS replinshing conditioner (from the bottle, and I added this myself)
Put this stuff in my hair and it didn't get much slip but I was able to comb through it fairly easy. I made 10 big twists.But I felt like it wasn't enough conditoner so I put a handful of CON organic conditioner per twist. My hair drunk it right up :lick:. Deep conditioned for 1 hour and rinsed. My hair was hanging down! Like it had formed coils all over and it had hangtime rather than shrinkage. (I'm apl lenght 4b, with a little 4a).

But I didn't heed another posters warning and had jumped into the hot shower with eggs on my head = scrambled eggs.:lol: So I had to rewash my hair. (CON organic shampoo) and put a little Nexxus humectress for about 2 min. Rinsed. My hair was agian shrunk less coils :ohwell:.

My question is WHAT HAPPENED???! :grin: Why did my hair do this? Delayed Henna result? ACV porespority (sorry i can't sp to save my life)? The natural conditioner? My hair just being more moist than usual?

Today my hair is moist but its twisted up (got a hot date with my bf tonight and I want a nice twist out)

Please help me, or at least tell me you've had a similar situation.

PS. visit my fotki I don't get much traffic over there but I recently added a nappyversary album.

Thanks! and yeah, it's been a year and my hair has never done that before so I was wondering was it something in the ingredients or was it henna idk

I think it might have been the yogurt and the protein. I have this happen when I do egg protein treatments or use yogurt to condition my hair.

A good way to use eggs without them curdling in your hair is using the yolks only. Other things that give added weight, clumping and hang to my hair are coconut milk and avocados.
Glycerin and other humectants (honey, agave...) are unpredictable and moody so I avoid them, as sometimes they do the opposite and give me shrinkage (they act differently on wet or dry hair and depending ont he humidity in the air).
Another thing that helps me keep that "hanging" is using thick conditioners as leave ins (they often have cetyl alcohol in the first ingredients, i.e. Giovanni).

ok, that sounds like a good idea (coconut milk, avocados, and yolks)

Yea i dont know much about how humectants react with my hair

I have tried to use the thick conditioners but then they dry white on my hair. Is it the cetyl alcohol that keep that from happening?

I have tried to use the thick conditioners but then they dry white on my hair. Is it the cetyl alcohol that keep that from happening?

how they dry depends on the product formulation or combination of products you use, not all of them work and if they don't work as leave ins you can still use them as rinse outs.
I usually look for reviews of conditioners that I want to use as leave ins, I like tightlycurly.com for this purpose... Cetyl alcohol is a fatty acid that is moisturizing, I find that it usually is in conditioners that are thick and creamy vs watery (I have thick hair) and it doesn't seem to leave a white film, but then again I haven't tried many conditioners (I like Giovanni).

Back