Weird Question: What State Is Your New Growth in When It's Relaxed?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
In other words, is your new growth in it's natural state at the time of your retouch or has it been blow dried or flat-ironed on your last wash day?

It seems that my hair is more resistant to relaxing when my new growth has been air-dried on the last wash prior to the retouch. (air drying is the usual for me)

So what about the rest of you???

Supergirl said:
In other words, is your new growth in it's natural state at the time of your retouch or has it been blow dried or flat-ironed on your last wash day?

That's a good question. When I retouched my hair in April after my first stretch, I didn't do anything to the newgrowth. I did notice that it didn't seem to be as straight as before when I relaxed, but I was using a new relaxer. I was mostly afraid of overlapping and overprocessing since I had been educated on the evils of relaxing and how to do it right.

I leave mine airdried in its natural state so I can see where the new growth stops and the previously relaxed hair starts.

sareca said:
I leave mine airdried in its natural state so I can see where the new growth stops and the previously relaxed hair starts.

Same here. And since I am not relaxing bone straight, I am not really worried about underprocessing.

Supergirl, in another thread you mentioned how applying heat to the newgrowth already partially straightens it and the relaxer might work faster or something to that effect. Well, that's when you made a light bulb go on for me.

Ever since REALLY cutting down on heat since last year, I was airdrying before my re-touches and my hair has been laughing at relaxers ever since, causing matting, tangling & underporcessing. Before then, I always had my roots blow-dried before a relaxer to help with my stretching. This time, I made sure to blow-dry my roots before, and my hair relaxed perfectly.

Now, I don't know if this was the to te relaxer (ORS) or due to the fact that I partially straightened my roots, but I'm never going to airdry my roots before a touch-up again.

sareca said:

That is what I do too. :)

secretdiamond said:
Supergirl, in another thread you mentioned how applying heat to the newgrowth already partially straightens it and the relaxer might work faster or something to that effect. Well, that's when you made a light bulb go on for me.

Ever since REALLY cutting down on heat since last year, I was airdrying before my re-touches and my hair has been laughing at relaxers ever since, causing matting, tangling & underporcessing. Before then, I always had my roots blow-dried before a relaxer to help with my stretching. This time, I made sure to blow-dry my roots before, and my hair relaxed perfectly.

Now, I don't know if this was the to te relaxer (ORS) or due to the fact that I partially straightened my roots, but I'm never going to airdry my roots before a touch-up again.

Interesting... I wonder if it's because heat lifts the cuticle.

sareca said:
Interesting... I wonder if it's because heat lifts the cuticle.

I would think it's because in order for heat to straighten the hair, it has to denature the hair's protein which is what a relaxer does but at a more intense and permanent level of course. So in that case, I think the heat has somewhat broken the hair down already and the relaxer process has kind of been helped along.

Supergirl said:
I would think it's because in order for heat to straighten the hair, it has to denature the hair's protein which is what a relaxer does but at a more intense and permanent level of course. So in that case, I think the heat has somewhat broken the hair down already and the relaxer process has kind of been helped along.

I'll buy that... :D

Supergirl said:

I'll buy that. :D

airdried every time. i like surprise when i relax and when i use heat i basically can see what length it'll be anyway

Back