Weekly Flat Iron: Checking in; question

Christelyn

I washed and deep conditioned as usual, with a protein treat in between (I tried a sample of Fekkai Protein Rx--don't try it, I didn't like it). I also did an ACV rinse, which I thought was nice, detangled my hair great. I did a sampling of broken hairs after i flat ironed, and I'd round it to about 50. My hair felt a bit mushy (too soft), so I sprayed some CHI liquid keratin and it felt better, broke less.

Do you all think 50 broken (not shed) hairs of various lengths (mostly ends) is too much?

I don't think broken hairs of any number is a good thing. I hope weekly flat iron-ers can come share their experience. Sorry I'm too wet behind the years on pressing to offer any insight.

Perhaps drop Pinkskates a PM to alert her to this thread if no one else chimes in. I don't know if she presses weekly but she's a guru at the art.

I'm sorry I don't even know... If it's more than what you usually see I would be concerned...

I know for me, after my hair starts getting dirty I would start see broken hairs so instead of waiting for that to happen I just start the whole process over again... pre-poo, poo, deep conditioning etc... Wish I could help :sad:

I washed and deep conditioned as usual, with a protein treat in between (I tried a sample of Fekkai Protein Rx--don't try it, I didn't like it). I also did an ACV rinse, which I thought was nice, detangled my hair great. I did a sampling of broken hairs after i flat ironed, and I'd round it to about 50. My hair felt a bit mushy (too soft), so I sprayed some CHI liquid keratin and it felt better, broke less.

Do you all think 50 broken (not shed) hairs of various lengths (mostly ends) is too much?

I flat iron twice a week(on co-wash days)....and I know you ladies are shaking your heads at me, but I am telling the truth. I tried to cut back on the heat but I am not that strong yet :ohwell: Anyway, I think that you should get to the root of the breakage. That sounds like a bit much to me. How often are you washing and does that happen each time? Sounds like you may be over moisturizing your hair since you said it felt mushy.

I am a weekly flat-ironer here too. This week, I went to the shop to get my hair done and asked a lot of questions. Fortunately, this salon wanted to really assess my hair and give answers. So I am natural and love wearing my hair straight (in a Michelle Obama style). So my questions went along that line.
After washing and thoroughly inspecting my hair, they said as a natural that loves to straighten, I need frequent protein treatments. This made sense because I am a moisture girl and have left protein alone.
I told them they could style however they wanted, but don't even get close to me with scissors. However, once I was blowdried out and left alone, I noticed my ends were see through. The bottom line was that I needed a trim.
So, as a fellow natural that likes to straighten weekly too, I think we need more protein and light trims. HTH until next week.

I flat iron twice a week(on co-wash days)....and I know you ladies are shaking your heads at me, but I am telling the truth. I tried to cut back on the heat but I am not that strong yet :ohwell: Anyway, I think that you should get to the root of the breakage. That sounds like a bit much to me. How often are you washing and does that happen each time? Sounds like you may be over moisturizing your hair since you said it felt mushy.

Actually, it is a LOT less breakage than usual since I switched from a pressing comb/flat iron to a really good flat iron. But, breakage is breakage. I wanted to gauge from other heat users what kind of breakage they are getting. I will say one thing: When I wear my hair natural in twists and what not, I got way more breakage that way. I guess I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, but flat ironing is def a lesser of two evils because its a lot less breakage and I'm seeing growth.

It could be the same thing as the other lady mention about protein... I do protein every time I dc (once a week) for the 3 weeks that I do my heat in a row... Then that 4th week when I skip heat I deep condition every other day and rotate... You may be needing a dose of protein.

So how'd you turn out?

Well, I think after it's all said and done my hair is fine. I did what I call a "break check" (ran my finger through my hair and squeezed to see if any broken off pieces came out) and so far, so good. I think I am going to try your fourth week off suggestion. Next week, I think do my regular routine alone with Aphogee 2 minute keratin treatment, warm blow dry and give the two strand twists another go. What I'm going to do different is the blow drying, which I hope will stave off all the knots and breakage I got the first time around. And if that doesn't work, it's back to the HEAT baby! :grin:

It sounds like a bit much to me. I flat iron once a week but not my whole head, just a few sections because I wet wrap my hair once a week or roller set beforehand. 50 shed hairs is one thing but 50 broken hairs....uhm I don't know. I would up the protein and lay off the heat a little and revisit the flat-ironing at a later time. If by then you flat-iron and you have less broken hairs I think you would have found that you need to incorporate more protein and less heat in your overall regimen.

I know you are natural and love your natural texture but have you considered going back to using a perm or maybe texlaxing since you like to wear your hair straight often? I don't mean anything by saying that just wondering because it seems like it would be hard trying to keep it straight without alot of heat usage.

It could be the same thing as the other lady mention about protein... I do protein every time I dc (once a week) for the 3 weeks that I do my heat in a row... Then that 4th week when I skip heat I deep condition every other day and rotate... You may be needing a dose of protein.

By the way, you may very well be my hair twin in terms of hair type. Hey Sis! I just hope I can get to BSL like you did.

Hello,

I am a weekly flat-ironer. One thing that I have noticed that cuts down on breakage to to make sure I use some type of little protein treatment along a deep cond on a weekly basis and anything that I use on my hair after I rinse my deep cond must be able to be use as a heat-protectant also. I have Redken Velvet Whip, Chi silk Infusion and John Freida Heat Seeker along with my leave cond which is Design Essentials Leave-In and Blow Dry Lotion "I beleive that is the correct name for it". I use all of the last named product every week and the only thing that I change is what I do before my wash, while washing, and while deep cond. I hope I made sense and I hope it helps. :grin::grin:

Ok, on average I flat-iron weekly and if I shampoo and/or cowash I have did it twice in a week. When I started doing the protein trmt (Aphoghee 2 step) I noticed less breakage on my flatironed hair. But, my hair breaks easily when wet so, I'm not sure what's up w/ that? I have better results w/ baking soda rinse also!

It sounds like a bit much to me. I flat iron once a week but not my whole head, just a few sections because I wet wrap my hair once a week or roller set beforehand. 50 shed hairs is one thing but 50 broken hairs....uhm I don't know. I would up the protein and lay off the heat a little and revisit the flat-ironing at a later time. If by then you flat-iron and you have less broken hairs I think you would have found that you need to incorporate more protein and less heat in your overall regimen.

I know you are natural and love your natural texture but have you considered going back to using a perm or maybe texlaxing since you like to wear your hair straight often? I don't mean anything by saying that just wondering because it seems like it would be hard trying to keep it straight without alot of heat usage.

Thanks for your input. As for a perm or texlax, I don't think I could EVER do that again. I had perms up until about 18 years old, and I STILL remember all the breakage, the sores, the burning and stinging. Worse, my hair felt so thin and limp. Relaxers (and relaxer applicators for that matter) are not my friend. I don't think I'm going to up the protein with a light mix--I tried Frederick Fekkai's Protein Rx and it was booty. I'm going back to Aphogee 2 minute Keratin treatment next week. When I used it, I saw virtually no breakage, which is wonderful me because I have inherently weak, fine hair.

Back