Wedding Postponed Due To...

Fine 4s

immigration issues. Welcome to the Trump era.

What are the proper steps if you want to marry a foreigner?

Last edited:
Y’all... it ain’t that simple. There’s a fiancé visa that needs to be issued first before he can come in. If the embassy doesn’t provide it, he shouldnt enter the US. If anyone wants to google it’s called K-1 visa.

If they don’t follow the right steps, finace gets banned from the US which is a lot more stressful and legally serious.

Seeee...I didn’t know that.
So the option of just coming in, marry and go home to straighten out the visa is not realistic. Got it!

Dude probably did not apply for a K1. Some people enter with their tourist visa to get married but if CBP gets wind of it they’ll deny you entry at the airport. I have seen it happen quite often.

There’s ways around it. Loopholes. But with social media and the internet people post too much online so Immigration catches on.

Or they should just get married overseas on paper, file for his green card and have the ceremony later.

The processing time for a K-1 and a green card for a spouse are almost the same at this point.

Oh and this is not a Trump-era thing BTW. CBP will not let you in to the country on a tourist visa/visa waiver if you are coming to get married. For countries that require visas the consulate/embassy won’t even issue you a tourist visa if you say you are coming to get married.

A client contacted me because her daughter’s fiancé got turned away at the airport a few weeks prior to the wedding. CBP googled him and saw wedding information and denied the visa. So he had to go home and apply for a K1 so they had to postpone the wedding.

Last edited:
@Farida wow!
What are the proper steps I’d onw wants to plan a wedding in the US with a foreigner? Do you wait for the visa before planning a wedding day or can you get and estimated time frame for the K-1?
If you want to marry a foreigner in the states you need to apply for a K-1 visa. Processing times vary based on USCIS and the embassies/consulates’ workload. Once you get become a K-1 you have to marry within 90 days. Right now the I-129F for a k-1 takes 9mos to one year to process so some people go straight agead and marry overseas and wait for the green card because it takes about the sane amount of time right now.

USCIS cannot guarantee a processing time so it is better to wait to get the visa before nailing down dates.

Last edited:
I don't know if things have changed, but when I married my husband 10 years ago I came in with my normal B-2 Visa. We went and got our marriage license and got married in the church like 30 days later (I might be off about that). I didn't tell the immigration guy at the port of entry that I was gonna get married during my stay (I don't know why anyone would volunteer that information). I guess I got lucky.

Last edited:
I don't know if things have changed, but when I married my husband 10 years ago I came in with my normal B-2 Visa. We went and got our marriage license and got married in the church like 30 days later (I might be off about that). I didn't tell the immigration guy at the port of entry that I was gonna get married during my stay (I don't know why anyone would volunteer that information). I guess I got lucky.

You can adjust through at valid visa. You were probably on a tourist visa that had indefinite entries and for a length that was over 30 days so when you got married, you didn’t violate your visa status. 10 years ago, Obama was elected and he changed the priorities of how USCIS reviews and processes cases (similar to what we see now with how Trump is conservative etc)

You never applied for a fiancé K1 visa (which would be how the info gets volunteered) so you were good. I think the couple in the OP tried doing things the “right” way hence the issue

Hey, I was conducted an audit of some files for work and noticed that the social security administration had cut off a lawful permanent resident's benefits because they needed proof of his immigration status. HUH? He's a lawful permanent citizen and documents were validated by DHS. So....can one of ya'll explain that to me?
Now the man has no income. Zero!

Back