Wedding Dresses

Menina Preta

Where did you buy your dress? A small boutique? Major retailer? A sample sale?

I'm debating looking for a sample sale gown to save money, but a part of me wants the whole bridal salon experience with an attendant pulling gowns for me. Also, I heard a lot of the sample sale dresses need a bunch of alterations. And while I love finding a bargain at TJ Maxx or my dear ol favorite Loehmann's (still mourning over that store), I don't know if I want to do the same hunting through racks for my wedding dress.

K, to add to the thread:

Vera Wang Sample Sale - I checked them out. Not a fan of the dresses. Too simple and too much tulle in my opinion. The prices were great though. Most of the dresses were 2,000 and under. There were not that many people there, but the dressing room was a mess - like 4-5 brides in a room fighting for hanger space and mirror room. If you're a size 6 or less, you can find something there.

I think I'm going to make appointments at some of the dress boutiques in my city and go from there.

I also wanted to get a sample and getting a bargain, but in the end, the salon experience with my mother and family meant more to me. So, that's what I did. Although, I did try on many dresses alone afterwards trying to find the perfect dress. But, that's because I lived away from home.

I ended up buying the dress I tried on with my mother, family, and friends there.

I also wanted to get a sample and getting a bargain, but in the end, the salon experience with my mother and family meant more to me. So, that's what I did. Although, I did try on many dresses alone afterwards trying to find the perfect dress. But, that's because I lived away from home.

I ended up buying the dress I tried on with my mother, family, and friends there.

Ya, I may go to the Sample Room in NYC which sells sample sale dresses but you need an appointment and you have an attendant. So I guess it's the best of both worlds? But I def want the salon experience. I need to call up and make an appt at Kleinfelds (even though I know I'm probably not buying my gown there :lol:...just want the experience!) as well. :lachen:

Ya, I may go to the Sample Room in NYC which sells sample sale dresses but you need an appointment and you have an attendant. So I guess it's the best of both worlds? But I def want the salon experience. I need to call up and make an appt at Kleinfelds (even though I know I'm probably not buying my gown there :lol:...just want the experience!) as well. :lachen:

Sample Room was the place I was thinking of before!
Yeah, I succumbed to Kleinfeld's for my dress. :lol:
I never wanted to get my dress there; just wanted the experience. That's why I left and went to look at sooo many other places.

Update -

1. RK Bridal - Can be overwhelming on the weekend. Got there at about 10 AM on the weekend, and had to wait till 11.45 AM to try on a dress. They have you pull dresses off the rack for them to get an idea of what you like. I liked my consultant and found a dress that my family said "wow" to as well as passerbys as well. Unfortunately, I couldn't take a pic in it, so it's hard for me to imagine now what it looked like on me. I may go back for it if I don't find anything else.

2. The Sample Room - Very nice showroom. It's more so for brides who want a show stopping designer gown. You need to be like a size 2-4 with no butt though for the gowns to fit well. I saw something I liked, but I wasn't blown away. One girl tried on a very Sex and the City dramatic looking gown. That isn't my style but if you are hellbent on a designer for less, then this is a good place to go.

3. David's Bridal - Just walked into here b/c I was done with my other appointments early. Not a fan. The dresses felt light and the fabrics were kinda scratchy. Good deals though. Didn't bother trying on anything, b/c I wasn't feeling it. I also wouldn't pay more than 500 for a dress there, b/c for their retail prices, you can go to a discount bridal retailer and get an Allure or Maggie Sottero dress for maybe 200 - 400 more and it feels like a better, well constructed dress.

I have two more appointments and will probably then return to RK. Dress shopping is overwhelming lol.

Update - 1. RK Bridal - Can be overwhelming on the weekend. Got there at about 10 AM on the weekend, and had to wait till 11.45 AM to try on a dress. They have you pull dresses off the rack for them to get an idea of what you like. I liked my consultant and found a dress that my family said "wow" to as well as passerbys as well. Unfortunately, I couldn't take a pic in it, so it's hard for me to imagine now what it looked like on me. I may go back for it if I don't find anything else. 2. The Sample Room - Very nice showroom. It's more so for brides who want a show stopping designer gown. You need to be like a size 2-4 with no butt though for the gowns to fit well. I saw something I liked, but I wasn't blown away. One girl tried on a very Sex and the City dramatic looking gown. That isn't my style but if you are hellbent on a designer for less, then this is a good place to go. 3. David's Bridal - Just walked into here b/c I was done with my other appointments early. Not a fan. The dresses felt light and the fabrics were kinda scratchy. Good deals though. Didn't bother trying on anything, b/c I wasn't feeling it. I also wouldn't pay more than 500 for a dress there, b/c for their retail prices, you can go to a discount bridal retailer and get an Allure or Maggie Sottero dress for maybe 200 - 400 more and it feels like a better, well constructed dress. I have two more appointments and will probably then return to RK. Dress shopping is overwhelming lol.
hmmm....this is a helpful narrative but sounds overwhelming :look:

They wouldn't let you take a pic in the dress at RK?

hmmm....this is a helpful narrative but sounds overwhelming :look:

They wouldn't let you take a pic in the dress at RK?

Nope. You can only take a pic if you're buying the dress. I guess I could've snuck a pic in the dressing room but I wasn't too pressed to b/c it was the first dress I tried on that I really loved. Here's another dress I liked but my mom thought it looked too evening gowny and not weddingy.

C281F.jpg

C281B.jpg

I feel like I have to look b/c I don't want to miss out on another dress, :lachen: It's not like I can return or exchange it.

I love love love mermaid style gowns. Maybe next time I go, I'll try on a ballgown just for fun, but I know I'm getting a mermaid more than likely. Oooh and blush is pretty too! When I renew my vows (lol...), I'll probably do a champagne or blush Jenny Packham style dress. I wanted that style for a reception dress, but my fam and friends keep reminding me I only have one day to wear a wedding dress, so why change into something else. So true.

Bought my dress!! Finally. LOL. Now that I have more free time/vacation coming up, I need to get into high gear to tick off the remaining items on my knot.com list, lol.

Now, about veils...did you wear one? If so, what length? If not, why not? I'm going to probably get a veil on Etsy. The bridal salon ones are too expensive.

Bought my dress!! Finally. LOL. Now that I have more free time/vacation coming up, I need to get into high gear to tick off the remaining items on my knot.com list, lol.

Now, about veils...did you wear one? If so, what length? If not, why not? I'm going to probably get a veil on Etsy. The bridal salon ones are too expensive.

Yay! Congrats!!

beauti I've always wanted a blush dress, never been a fan of white. Jennifer Williams sealed the deal for me with her wedding dress.

0012_Williams_src.jpg

0036_Williams_src.jpg

Bought my dress!! Finally. LOL. Now that I have more free time/vacation coming up, I need to get into high gear to tick off the remaining items on my knot.com list, lol. Now, about veils...did you wear one? If so, what length? If not, why not? I'm going to probably get a veil on Etsy. The bridal salon ones are too expensive.

I originally ordered one on Etsy but they screwed up my order and I ended up ordering one from Amazon. I had a fingertip length veil and it was lovely. Only cost about 25 bucks.

DO NOT buy your veil from the bridal salon, they price gouge like crazy because they know that brides are emotional and will pay just about anything. Even the girl that was helping me into my dress at the bridal salon during one of my fittings whispered into my ear not to buy any of my accessories from there and to buy from Etsy.

Getting my dress made by a seamstress a few cities over. Very reasonable, getting exactly what I want and made specifically for my body. So glad to be done with that.

I had a budget and just went and tried on a bunch of stuff in my budget until I found something I liked. My mom hated what I found in my budget so she actually doubled the budget and I was able to find something both of us liked in the bigger budget I got my dress from a boutique. Pretty much everything I tried was from a boutique. I tried on close to 50 dresses over a 2 month period until I found the dress I liked

Last edited:
I would die trying on 40-50 dresses. I tried on 10 I think

I tried on so many because I pretty much had to start over when I got the new budget but by then I already knew the fabric and silhouette I wanted, it was just a matter of finding the one

Back