Wedding Advice From A Man To A Man

LadyRaider

My other internet hangout is a sports discussion board with a bunch of white men. One of them came up with these. Thought they were pretty interesting.

Been married 8 years, take this for what it's worth:

1. Do not let her talk you into spending a ridiculous amount of cash on your wedding. More than likely, you need to be saving for a house, pay off college/other debt, etc. if she thinks she has to have a lavish wedding, and her daddy isn't spending his money on it, you shouldn't either. If she presses the issue, break it off. That is a sign of things to come.

2. Buy as nice of an engagement ring as you can afford. When it's all said and done, she'll have that forever, and it will be a daily reminder to not screw a coworker or your best man later on in life. My wife's friends are still jealous of my wife's ring, and I didn't go crazy. Worth every penny, and I won't have to upgrade it later. Buy once, cry once.

3. Wedding pictures are stupid. Ours have been in a box for 7 yrs. Thankfully, I knew they were stupid then, and didn't have to learn the hard way.

4. Do not do a destination wedding unless her parents are loaded and funding both sides. Inevitably, someone won't be able to afford to go, or it will put someone in a financial burden that they will be pissed about. My opinion, destination weddings are for rich folks or 2nd/3rd/4th marriages.

5. Go somewhere really fun for your honeymoon (my only regret). Another reason for no destination wedding, after the wedding is over, I can't imagine wanting to be around our families on our honeymoon, and we are both close to our families. When you have kids in 2-5 years, you'll never go anywhere fun again until they are out of the house. My experience anyway, we take our kids everywhere.

My other internet hangout is a sports discussion board with a bunch of white men. One of them came up with these. Thought they were pretty interesting.

Been married 8 years, take this for what it's worth:

1. Do not let her talk you into spending a ridiculous amount of cash on your wedding. More than likely, you need to be saving for a house, pay off college/other debt, etc. if she thinks she has to have a lavish wedding, and her daddy isn't spending his money on it, you shouldn't either. If she presses the issue, break it off. That is a sign of things to come.

2. Buy as nice of an engagement ring as you can afford. When it's all said and done, she'll have that forever, and it will be a daily reminder to not screw a coworker or your best man later on in life. My wife's friends are still jealous of my wife's ring, and I didn't go crazy. Worth every penny, and I won't have to upgrade it later. Buy once, cry once.

3. Wedding pictures are stupid. Ours have been in a box for 7 yrs. Thankfully, I knew they were stupid then, and didn't have to learn the hard way.

4. Do not do a destination wedding unless her parents are loaded and funding both sides. Inevitably, someone won't be able to afford to go, or it will put someone in a financial burden that they will be pissed about. My opinion, destination weddings are for rich folks or 2nd/3rd/4th marriages.

5. Go somewhere really fun for your honeymoon (my only regret). Another reason for no destination wedding, after the wedding is over, I can't imagine wanting to be around our families on our honeymoon, and we are both close to our families. When you have kids in 2-5 years, you'll never go anywhere fun again until they are out of the house. My experience anyway, we take our kids everywhere.

He sounds bitter. The ring is a reminder not to have sex with the best man or a coworker. Wow!

I don't agree with #3 or #4.

Wedding pictures are NOT stupid. I would reckon that they are the most important thing that you will spend money on because once it's all over, those are the only memories you will have. I barely remember 10% of my wedding day and I'm so happy that I have the pictures and video to look at.

If you want a destination wedding, then have one. But then, I'm a firm believer in doing whatever you want for your wedding. I don't care about accommodating people. Those who want to be there will find a way.

Back