Webby, I need your help!

skegeesmb

Hey Webby,

You posted earlier that you've learned to master the blowout. Please if you can would you describe how you rollerset and blow out step by step?

I did a blowout, but my hair was still thick at the roots. Do you take little itty bitty sections and blow out? When I also try I can't seem to keep the hairdryer on the brush, it's like when I try to look and keep the dryer on the brush and hair, It doesn't work.

Please if you can help!
TIA

K, I'll try to explain...I know that I'm going to have to get some pics up soon.

Tools that you need for a super straight blowout
A boarshair round brush
a commercial blow dryer - Some ppl are ok with the dryers at Sally's, but I bought and returned every, single dryer there, because I was NOT getting the same results that I did at the salon.

*Important - the blower should have a concentration nozzle, otherwise the air is dispersed.

1. Start at the nape of the neck, take a small section (about an 1" thick).

2. Use your brush to gently pull the hair tight - Drag the brush from the scalp down the hair about an inch or so, not too far down, because you want to maintain tension.

3. Now, grab you blower, which should be at the highest setting and point it at the hair between your scalp and the brush. The dryer should not actually be on the brush, but on the hair.

**It is imperative that you DO NOT LEAVE THE DRYER POINTED AT YOUR HAIR FOR MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS AT A TIME. You definitely do not want to burn your hair.

I'm going to rollerset this weekend; I'll see if I can get my hubby to take pics of my step-by-step process.

Again, I'll just say that the difference came from the blow dryer and then learning how to point the dryer in the proper place. It only takes one or two passing of the dryer over the hair to straighten it.

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
K, I'll try to explain...I know that I'm going to have to get some pics up soon.

Tools that you need for a super straight blowout
A boarshair round brush
a commercial blow dryer - Some ppl are ok with the dryers at Sally's, but I bought and returned every, single dryer there, because I was NOT getting the same results that I did at the salon.

*Important - the blower should have a concentration nozzle, otherwise the air is dispersed.

1. Start at the nape of the neck, take a small section (about an 1" thick).

2. Use your brush to gently pull the hair tight - Drag the brush from the scalp down the hair about an inch or so, not too far down, because you want to maintain tension.

3. Now, grab you blower, which should be at the highest setting and point it at the hair between your scalp and the brush. The dryer should not actually be on the brush, but on the hair.

**It is imperative that you DO NOT LEAVE THE DRYER POINTED AT YOUR HAIR FOR MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS AT A TIME. You definitely do not want to burn your hair.

I'm going to rollerset this weekend; I'll see if I can get my hubby to take pics of my step-by-step process.

Again, I'll just say that the difference came from the blow dryer and then learning how to point the dryer in the proper place. It only takes one or two passing of the dryer over the hair to straighten it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the part I'm having a problem with. Keeping that dryer where it's supposed to be. I got a dryer from Walmart. It's probably not getting hot enough, and my concentrated nozzle looks strange. It doesn't look like the salon.

How long did it take you to get the routine down? 5-20 times, more?

I know I know, but I really want to learn this so I don't have to go back and flatiron. Where did you get your dryer from?

skee, it took a rather long time for me to get the the knack. When I got serious about doing my own hair, versus driving to NYC, over 200 miles, every 2 weeks just for a wash-n-set.

I'm going to wash my hair today and I'm going to beg my hubby to take pics for me, especially close ups of the blowdrying part.

I have this dryer, which I purchased at the BBS in NYC, but you can find it online. I think I paid around $70 for it. If I ever have to replace it, I may go with the SuperSolano.

I have this blower rigged, which I can only show with pics, to push out more air. This cuts down on the blowing time, by straightening my roots much faster; I only have to pass the dryer over each section once, as opposed to 2 or 3 times.

I can't imagine that a blower from Wal-Mart will really give the heat that you are looking for. The one good thing about that is you are probably not causing any damage to your hair. I'll repost this evening or tomorrow with pics.

Great instructions. I have bookmarked this page. Where did you buy the brush? Could you take a picture of it too? Thanks.

Chichi /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

Chi, I bought this particular brush at a high end beauty salon in Pittsburgh. They are sold at BBS in NYC, but the quality is a little questionable. The thicker, coarser the hair the firmer the brush should be. Boar's hair brushes come in various levels of firmness. I bought a very firm brush, as I am not using to brush the hair, rather I am using it to hold the hair.

Be careful not to get a brush that has a metal rod in the shaft, as this holds heat, which can burn the hair. My brush is wooden, with a rubber handle.

Yep, I'll take a pic of that too.

Thanks. I want to get this right./images/graemlins/smile.gif It sounds like the brush is "stretching" the roots while the dryer straigthens it with the heat.

Thank you Webby.

I bought a new hairdryer. It's pretty hot. I washed my hair, and I rollerset it as well. Unfortunately I used the brush with the metal base, but my hair came out a lot straighter than last weeks experiment.

My rollerset also came out well. I guess practice makes perfect. After doing almost all of my hair I GOT the part where you put the blowdryer ON the hair. I hadn't been doing that because I was afraid I was going to burn my hair, but the last section I did, I actually got the cordination right and straighted that section of hair very well. I'm really excited about that. So now that I have an idea of how to straighten the hair, I will try to do what I did with one section of my hair to all of my hair next week.

I am happy to say that I did get my hair straight enough to not have to flatiron /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif!

@Skee, That's excellent news. It makes such a huge difference, once you have the right type of blower, in conjuction with the proper placement of the air. I'm under the dryer now...so, if my hubby isn't too tired, I'll see if he'll take some pics for me anyway.

Please, keep me posted /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Re: Webby, I need your help! (UPDATED - PICS ADDED)

Thanks, webby! I added the instructions from your first post to my notebook. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Your photo album was also helpful for seeing how the blowdryer should go /images/graemlins/up.gif(don't have one yet but Christmas is just around the corner). I also had pictured the brush going under the hair (like stylists do to my hair in salons), but the way you have it positioned seems like it would be less damaging b/c it's not touching the older hair. Thank you!

Webby, thank you so much! Those are some really good pictures. I'm mad at your "rigged blowdryer". My wattage is HOT it can get up to 2000 degrees. The walmart dryer I had heated up to 1875 degrees. So I guess they are both good in the heat department. The dryer I bought yesterday is the same on the Dominican stylist used on my hair is June.

I also found that if I pull my hair taught with my hands I can get the hair pretty straight too at the roots, I'm still a bit uncoordinated with the brush. It works pretty well and I don't burn myself either.

I can't wait until next week to do my hair so I can try again.

Ladies, I'm glad that the pics were useful.

@Ny, keeping the blower off of the rest of the hair, is what I believe prevents damage and prevents breaking the longer strands.

@Skee, I'm not sure that the wattage is what makes that big difference in blowdryers. I say this, because I bought one from Sally's that was 1875 watts and it was NOT doing the job. I think that the wattage, in conjunction with the power of the moter in the blower, is what makes a vast difference.

I have no intentions of replacing my current blower, because it's working fine, but I think that if I had to get a new one today, I might go with a SuperSolano or a BabyBliss. Of course, knowing everything that I do now, I'd take each blower for a test drive. I'd wait until my roots were super thick and put it to the challenge /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Webby, thanks so much for the tips and pics. Your hair came our just like a professional blowout. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

How would you compare this to using a flatiron (if you have one)? I ask because I was getting ready to invest in a good flat iron but now, after reading your instructions, I am thinking that I should invest in a good boar brush and hair dryer.

Chi, I have never used a flatiron, but before I the roller set method, I always blow dried my hair right after washing and used a curling iron to bump it up. The results were completely different.

My hair was FLAT, lifeless, no body. My hair was also always dry and brittle and required constant cutting to remove the dead ends. The other difference was that the style wouldn’t last nearly as long either.

I’m not saying that people don’t get good results with the flatiron method, I just prefer the roller set technique. I’m opposed to applying anything hot directly on my hair.

This is so helpful Webby. Thank you! I don't blow dry my hair very often but I like to for special occasions. 'Tis the season for special events so this is right on time.

Webby - this is the best home job I've seen EVER! I use the same technique as you, but I NEVER get my hair that straight at the roots while leaving that much bend at the ends...

Question for you: Do you set your hair to accomodate the fact that you're gonna blow it out? What I mean is, do you use the purple rollers so THAT you'll have body once you blow it? Or is that just the size you use. I use the grey ones, and I always have to add curl back into my hair when I'm done OR I don't get my roots as straight as I'd like, trying to preserve curl...

Ok - I'm buggin and you don't use purple rollers, but same question still applies..... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tracy, I use Grey (the big pinkish rollers are the same size as the grey) rollers and a few purples for the shorter hair. My rollers are different colors from most ppl, because I bought them at a drugstore that was selling them discount, just to get rid of them.

I use the largest roller size that I can; hair should wrap around at least twice and stay rolled after putting in the clips. Because my hair is so thick, I need to use the largest available rollers, otherwise I could be under the dryer FOR-EVER.

I don't need any additional curling afterwards. When my hair is much longer, I prefer to wear it curly, but I use the same method of roller setting, blowing the roots. Instead of wrapping the hair (aka doobie), I do pin curls.

If you aren't getting enough curl, try doing pin-curls.

But you don't NEED to make pin curls when you do your hair, do you? It looks like you retain quite a bit of your own...

Maybe it's because I'm still working with all that color damage and my hair doesn't retain curl as easily as yours....

That could be it. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Sucks for me.... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No Tracy, I definitely don't need to do pin curls, unless I want tight curls. In which case, I don't do the doobie.

One thing that could be taking place, is that your hair may not be completely dry when you take your rollers out. That used to be a huge problem for me. That could be the culprit.

Can you post a pic of what happens when you pull your rollers out?

webby, these instructions are AWESOME (my daughter's word, not mine /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) i am going to try this either 2nite, or 2morrow nite. Thanks for posting this... i hope i don't burn my hands... OUCH! lol

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
webby, these instructions are AWESOME (my daughter's word, not mine /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) i am going to try this either 2nite, or 2morrow nite. Thanks for posting this... i hope i don't burn my hands... OUCH! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you...that means a lot coming from you, cuz you are one of my hair inspirations.

awww shucks, thanks webby /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

question...
since my hair is thick as well, i would need to use extra rollers, correct? do you recommend the gray (sections will b bigger) or should i use the purple ones?
after you blow dry the bottom section, how do you secure the hair so as not to confuse that hair with the hair from the section above (sorry if that didn't make sense LOL)?
lastly, UR ROLLERSET IS TIGHT!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I have about 2-3" of new growth, do you think i'd still be able to blow my roots straight without getting frustrated (i have ZERO patience)?

CH, if you have thick hair, go with the largest roller you can. You have a Pibbs, which will save you some time, but if your rollers are smaller than need be, you are still adding time to your drying.

As for blowing out the new growth...I say it depends on the blow dryer. If it's strong AND hot, I think that it will work. But I warn you...don't become disappointed if it's not as straight as you'd like. Remember, I perfected my blow out, out of necessity and a LOT of practice.

I promise you that anyone can get it, just takes a little getting used to.

Girl... im gonna try. if you guys hear some excessive cussing, just cover your ears /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
also, the biggest rollers i have r black, that will be okay right? oh and ummm... u forgot to answer my last question... LOL

LOL...my baaad...I am going to plead the 5th, cuz you very well may get really frustrated.

And yep, if your hair is long enough to get around the black rollers (dang girl...will that fit under your Pibbs) then by all means do use them.

DAYUMN!!! LOL
i don't know if they fit, i've never used them /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back