Weave wearers questions

ElizaBlue

I just got a full head of weave. I didn't do it myself. I used a hair called Yaki Harmony, which on the packaged said it was 100% human hair. When the lady finished weaving and began flat iroining, I noticed what looked like burnt plastic. So I thought at first this was synthetic, but we read the package again and it was not. But I've noticed there are "plastic hairs"about the size of a wire all through this hair. The style is the one Sanaa Lathan had, basically straight with a little body wave. It's bra strap. It looks beautiful, but what is up with the plastic wires?

Also, it itches like crazy. When will this settle down and what should I do about it?

And can anyone tell me how to mosturize my hair, it's a full weave with only the barest of my edges left out?

And also, how long can I leave this up?

Overall, I'm really pleased with the results. Now I know how long haired girls feel. Because this looks just like my hair, I'm getting the eye-rolling and smirks, (haters). But I'm also having to tell those who give me a compliment and then ask me how long it took to grow my hair this long......that it took about.....2 hours. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think in every bundle of hair, you'll find the stray "plastic wires" you mention, thread, or sometimes a white hair... That's why before I weave, I try to just look through the hair a bit and pull them out...

As far as itching--I'm not sure, my head only itches when the weave is getting pretty old...

I leave my weaves in for about 6 weeks...

Have fun with it! I'm sure it looks great!

It would be good to wash the hair next time before you get it weaved. Sometimes, we can be allergic to the chemicals that the manufacturers put on the hair. I am and I have to wash my weave before I put it in, if it's 'human' hair, which it only has to have 3% human hair in it to be classified as human. The rest can be animal hair, plastic or anything. I know that's TMI.

Anyway, put some SeaBreeze/Witch Hazel directly on your scalp, using a q-tip and that should help with the itching. (If the itching it's unbearable, you may have to take it out, wash it and re-apply) Try washing the weave next time before applying and see if that makes a difference. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanks for that tip. i wondered the same thing too because i had uncontrollable itching when i had mines in. i only left it in for two weeks because of that. my cousin does weaves and did mines for free. she said she would never do my hair for free again because of how soon i took it out. it was very pretty, but i just couldn't stand the itching.

Thanks everyone for responding. The itching is subsiding just a bit. I really want to wash it but am afraid I may not get the look back. I know that's silly but nevertheless....

I will try to get another digital camera to post pics, for some reason my printer won't download to the computer.

has anyone done a weave where they do small braids around the hairline i.e. where the hair should be blended...Im considering trying that since my hair is natural and I dont want to press. I'd like to see a pic of the style or hear from someone who has actually seen or done this

Yeah, I think they pull or brush the hair back the do the cornrows, so you see edges but they are not out. I actually needed her to leave more hair out because my edges are thinner than the rest of my hair so I can't wear it up because the tracks would show.

I use an applicator bottle with a moisturizing oil to keep my hair moisturized while wearing a weave.

HTH.

I washed my hair this morning with the Garnier. I plaited my weave in one long braid and bounded the ends. Then I shampooed my whole head making sure to keep the hair together.

Then I applied my black rinse. I was a little apprehensive about this, thinking that the dye would stay in the wefted hair. But I made sure to pull my hair out from the edges and put the rinse on, then I walked around in two plastic caps for about 4 hours.

I got back in the shower and shampooed twice with the Garnier. Then did my conditioner. I kept my hair in the braid. I put Optimum mouse on my hair and got under the dryer. When my hair was dry I took the braid down and had absolutely no tangling. I flat ironed my hair and the weave. It looks great. I did have to snip some loose thread here and there. But overall I'm very pleased.

Hi Elizablue,
When I had a weave I used a watery moisterizer such as Infusium and started at the crown and let it drip or work it's way throughout my scalp. Then I would massage it. That cured the itching for me. To keep the hair that is out moist I would opt for a thick cream such as Elasta QP mango butter or coconut oil. Finally, I left my weaves in three to four months at a time. It was only then that I say the most length. HTH.

Thanks LorraineG. I'll be moving to NYC in about a week and don't know if I should try to keep the weave in or not.

Back