Weave wearers: How do you clean under closure??

virtuenow

For those who wear full weaves and wash/DC regularly, how do you clean under your closure? Does it get in the way? Any particular type (shape/size) of closure better for getting the hair underneath?

I don't wear weaves, but someone I follow on YT does from time to time. Here's a video on how to care/clean/condition your hair under the weave.

In addition, she has some other ones that are more thorough.

Last edited:
For those who wear full weaves and wash/DC regularly, how do you clean under your closure? Does it get in the way? Any particular type (shape/size) of closure better for getting the hair underneath?

I find it extremely difficult (like almost impossible) to do. Unless the closure is installed partially (not sewn around all the way). I hate closures for this very reason.

Some of the ladies on youtube have started sewing elastic to both sides of the closure and installing it almost like a headband (I think Ivy Powell, missbossylive, and Tiarra Monet all have a tutorial/vid of this).

The elastic closure method ensures that the closure lays flat while not being completed sewn down. It also enables you to lift it conveniently, or remove it altogether.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm planning to soon. Hopefully, I'll like closures more once I can clean underneath.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. I did a quick search and found a few websites (e.g., ONYC) that suggest removing the closure before washing. Hmph :ohwell:

Thanks ladies. I did a quick search and found a few websites (e.g., ONYC) that suggest removing the closure before washing. Hmph :ohwell:

Well with my last closure install, it was stitched so intricately that I couldn't remove it myself. She didn't just stitch the perimeter, she stitched across the wefts too...

Back