Weave Wearers and those familiar with weaves: Does this sound right to you?

Kimberly

So, I'm back in Memphis and I'm thinking about getting a sew in weave for the summer. :look: I've only had one once before about 15 years ago and they have come a long way from what I've seen.

Anyway, I called my cousin (who knows everybody :yep:) and asked her who she knew that could do decent weaves for a reasonable price. I'm not trying to pay several hundred dollars. I just want to do something for the summer to give my hair a break that won't cause more harm that good.

She says "Girl, I got the perfect person. She'll do any style you want for $35!"

I double-checked to make sure I heard her right.

She says "You have to get your own hair, of course, and get someone to braid it tight":perplexed

Wait. She doesn't braid the hair? :ohwell: My cousin says that she would but she prefers not to. She works from home and my cousin has had her do her hair several times but has never gotten a full sew in before but lots of ponytails, updos, and a few tracks put in for fullness.

My question is...how would someone put in a sew in weave without braiding the hair themselves? Doesn't the style dictate how the braids should be? Like, if we were going to leave some hair out in the front or a part? How would that work?

I thought it would be customary to go in with my hair and we discuss what look we are trying to achieve and then she would braid my hair in a fashion to accommodate that style and sew my weave in. Am I all wrong?

TIA!

Kimberly

I've always gone to the same stylist to braid and install the sew in. Having one person braid and then going to a new person to install sounds off (unless they work in the same salon). :ohwell: Usually the installer decides how what braid pattern, how many rows, and how much hair should be left out to achieve the best look. You could try it the way your cousin's hook up wants or you could ask how much she'd charge if she did both (seeing that she can but prefers not to).

So, I'm back in Memphis and I'm thinking about getting a sew in weave for the summer. :look: I've only had one once before about 15 years ago and they have come a long way from what I've seen.

Anyway, I called my cousin (who knows everybody :yep:) and asked her who she knew that could do decent weaves for a reasonable price. I'm not trying to pay several hundred dollars. I just want to do something for the summer to give my hair a break that won't cause more harm that good.

She says "Girl, I got the perfect person. She'll do any style you want for $35!"

I double-checked to make sure I heard her right.

She says "You have to get your own hair, of course, and get someone to braid it tight":perplexed

Wait. She doesn't braid the hair? :ohwell: My cousin says that she would but she prefers not to. She works from home and my cousin has had her do her hair several times but has never gotten a full sew in before but lots of ponytails, updos, and a few tracks put in for fullness.

My question is...how would someone put in a sew in weave without braiding the hair themselves? Doesn't the style dictate how the braids should be? Like, if we were going to leave some hair out in the front or a part? How would that work?

I thought it would be customary to go in with my hair and we discuss what look we are trying to achieve and then she would braid my hair in a fashion to accommodate that style and sew my weave in. Am I all wrong?

TIA!

Kimberly

YES

and

:nono: No that doesn't sound right. The whole point about a sew in is the braids...if someone else does that for you...they can go the extra step and sew it in too...hell, you could probably sew it in yourself after someone braids it for you. IMO, that's too much to have to go through. I would find someone who does both steps.

ETA: The girl sounds like she does a lot of styles with tracked hair...that surely ain't the same as a sew-in. One doesn't constitute the other.

Last edited:
No that definitely doesn't sound right. The person doing the weave needs to braid and apply the weave especially of you are like how I was and the weave had to be put on just right so the braids had to be done a certain way to get a certain effect. In addition, how are you going to organise getting from one place to the other. You'd have to walking or driving around looking like a homeless person depending on the style to get to your next appointment:ohwell:. My advice, find someone who can braid and weave:yep:. To tell the truth I never heard of a weave stylist who doesn't braid:rolleyes:

The girl who does my micros (when i dont do them myself) makes me get the middle of my hair braided before she puts the actual micros in around the edges. Also, when my sister does sew-ins, she refuses to do the braiding of the actual hair (She says the hair cuts her fingers). It doesn't sound that far off to me. Some people just don't like doing the braiding and some people can't. $35 sounds pretty cheap to me though, so i'd have to see some pictures of her work first...

It might be okay. I use to go to this salon where one lady would braid my hair and the other would do the sew-in. It always turned out nice!

I didn't let one salon do this. One girl was going to braid, the other was going to sew it in. NO, I want the same person doing both. They know what they need it to be braided, to get the job done!

The girl that does my sews does not braid them, her assistant does. Also a lot times when I do my own I do not braid my own hair my sister does because she braids better than I do. So no it does not sound off. You should just know how you are going to wear your sew in so that the person braiding know what pattern to braid in and what to leave out.

It may be okay. I have heard of people doing this because they don't like to do the actual braiding. Usually they tell you which direction, pieces of hair to leave out, ect., for them. Maybe see if you can talk to her first.

Its fine if she has an actual assistant to do this because she can tell her how to do it. its not ok if she does not do the braiding herself, because the braider does not know how much hair to leave out or what style to the hair in to add the sew in correctly.

Thank you ladies for all of your knowledgeable words or wisdom and experience! :grin:

You'd have to walking or driving around looking like a homeless person depending on the style to get to your next appointment:ohwell:

This ^^^ was a CRACK UP!

My cousin suggested that I get one of her nieces (my second cousin who has braided my hair before) to put the braids in because she braids pretty tight, I can't braid my own hair at all, and she could really use the few dollars that I usually pay her to braid my hair.

I will try to talk to her beforehand and see if I can go by and check out some of her pics or books or something. I love my cousin but she's nuts! If nothing else, I can go back and ask her if she has anyone who braids and weaves :lol:

I mean I would assume that u know the person u would get to cornrow your hair. . . u tell her how u want it, how much hair u want out, etc. . . and this chick just sews in the weave according to the rows u come in with. sounds fine to me. I mean, the stylist wouldn't be tellin u how u want your weave anyway. so comin in with the rows already is just a way of sayin, I want it this way, i want my part here, etc

I am not saying she does bad work for $35 but them seem crazy cheap. My roomie charges like $60, but I pay $40 and she does a hella good job. Can check the pic in my fotki:yep:. But I dont want someone braiding my hair and a totally different person sewing it in. The braider my not leave enough out, or braid tooooo braids, IDK something etc. But I just domt trust it.

Back