Weave or Braids

Country gal

I am getting impatient with my hair growth and style. I want new look. I want to know which is less damaging for my hair. Braids or sewn in weave.

i believe weave is mo' damaging 4 ur hair
get braids imo just dont get them 2 tight

Well, I think weaves are less damaging, honestly. I had braids and left them in too long and lost a great deal of hair. I am going to put my own braids in next week or so, but they will be open at the ends, and I feel more comfortable by me doing them.

I had tracks for 3 weeks, and during that 3 weeks, I got SO much growth it wasn't even funny. I'm thinking because the scalp wasn't exposed and I kept moisturizing it. Although I must say, that getting a weave can be a nuisance when it starts to slip from the cornrow.

Whatever you do, trust someone that you know. When I had my braids done at the African shop, when the lady was through, she took a fire lighter and rubbed it on ALL the braids, not just the end of it. I"m surprised my hair wasn't scorched. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

i agree karonica coz i dont like cornrows coz i lost some hair from this method of protective hairstyles and i'm gessin that if the weave has hair left out in the front and is cornrowed properly then i belive that u'll be able to maintain a lot of length /images/graemlins/smile.gif this is bearing in mind that the weave is taken care of properly

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

It really depends on what you're looking for. With both you're still going to have to wash your hair at least once a month so don't think you're getting out of it /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

With a weave, it has to be sewn in tight (but not too tight) to insure that it won't slip. With braids, you have a little more control about how tight they are. With a weave, it may be harder to moisturize your hair. With braids, you still have easy access to your scalp so you can moisturize and wash it.

You may not want to opt for a weave style that uses glue. It can be hard to get out and has a high potential of taking your hair with it. Also, some threads may irritate the scalp and causes added itching.

Boadicea, your hair is soooooo nice. It's shiny and looks very healthy and thick. It looks great. What is your hair goal...waist length?

Thank you very much. I had your hair album in my favorites folder but picturetrail says that it's not up anymore. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

My dream goal is classic/tailbone length but I will settle for waist length if I can achieve it again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif My next stop is bra strap length (hopefully by the end of this summer), then elbow and then hopefully waist length.

Yeah, picturetrail wants me to pay. I may try yahoo(yahell) we'll see.
Btw, I always thought elbow length was waist length? Well, it is on me. How tall are you? Oh, never mind I just realized I have looong arms(so does my mom). My sis laughs at them all the time...lol. That could explain it. My elbow is actually a little past my waist... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

hey boadicea i jus been to yo homepack and i really like yo hair rutine, tell me is that yo photo on the home page?? /images/graemlins/smile.gif whoever it is is very pretty and has some nice hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cant wait for u to finish the photos section coz i'd love to see more pics of that gorgous hair of yos /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Well, I just thought I'd put my 2cents in: I think for growth and Health, a weave would be the best. I have had both. I think that braids DO grow the hair, but it is still somewhat exposed and so when the braids come out, the hair may not be healthy, it may be shredded in places. Weaves. Well I only know about the sew-ins. (Glue and Hair should not mix) That's how I got to B/S. My hair was cornrowed and greased. I think that this is TOTALLY protective. I mean your hair is completely left alone. I would usually leave my weaves in for 3 months--then totally undo it, wash, condition, blowdry and put the weave back in. This went on for about 3 years. When I finally decided to wear MY OWN hair: it was healthy, long and only needed a trim. I think that's because it was left alone, you can't really do that with braids. Only my humble opinion. Good Luck.

I also wanted to add that I was weaving before I knew about the hairsites: I used BLUE MAGIC to grease my cornrows. That's it. And I would use pure Vitamin E oil(mixed with BLUE MAGIC to thin it) on the edges and the hair that wasn;t weaved. Now that I wear my own hair I only use shea butters and oils (never petroleum). And vitamins help alot while you're braiding/weaving.

I think braids are more damaging than weaves. I've had both, and more of my hair has come out with braids (especially when I take the braids out). I had braids a little over a month ago, and it left my hair so dry which is why I'm reluctant to get them again. I used kanekalon and it really absorbed the moisture from my real hair even though I moisturized it every other day. With a sewn in weave at least your hair is tucked away and not exposed. I don't see why more women won't use weaves to grow their hair, because it's a good way to attain more growth and is a great protective style.

I would go with the weave not glued in.I had bad experience with the braids as it seems that my hair was just shedding too much after I took them out.with the weave I did not experience that much shedding and I had them in for the same period of time.One more thing I noticed that most of the girls that had in braids always post that their hair was shedding alot.I amjust telling u what happened to memaybe you will have a different experience.Before you do any make sure to deep condition for a couple a weeks in advance to braiding or weaving,just to make sure your hair is in tip top shape.Good luck

Well I've had both and I like braids a lot more! Although when I take my braids out I get shedding from hair that hasn't been combed for so long I also get a lot of new growth! Once I wash it the shedding stops instantly! My hair gets stronger and thicker. I've had weaves three times and each time my hair thinned and came out. They just don't work for my hair. With braids I can moisturize my hair a lot better and my scalp breathes better. Also, with weaves I didn't feel comfortable. The tracks loosening up, trying to make sure the tracks never showed, etc...Weaves cost a lot more and are also more expensive to maintain.

I would say the weave is less damaging. Your hair is completely covered and you can experience a lot of new growth. But as a word of caution don't leave a weave in more than 8 weeks because if you experience a lot of growth the hair underneath can dread. I know it happened to me after leaving a weave in for 12 weeks per my stylist. I experienced 5 inches in those 3 months and the growth around my hairline was phenomenal but eneded up losing all of it and more because my hair dreaded on the crown.

WOW, what to get braids or a weave? I like weaves, I don't mind at all. But I have alot of hair so I think the weave weill look bulky. My best bet is to get cornrows. Braids, (depends on the length and patience) I don't have time to try but I will definitely get a cornrow hairstyle and leave it in for 2 months...what do you guys think?

Sbaker,
Start off with a style that you can take out easily in two weeks or so, like simple cornrows. That way, if you are unhappy with the way your hair does with them, you can take them down without wasting an extensive amount of money. The average cornrow style is $60-$80. The more complicated braid style will last longer, but are much more expensive. Weaves can be good too, but you usually don't take them out for three months.
Once you try the simple style, you can then determine whether or not to continue with braiding or even weaving.

I am a braid junkie, but that's probably because that's all I know to do myself. Never tried weaving my own hair since I don't think I could pull it off well and fool anyone.
laugh.gif

I do see how weaves can be a good way to grow hair because your ends are protected from the air (as I'd assume they'd be with cornrows) and you leave your hair well alone. But I do have a question or two. When you wash your hair with a weave on, how do you ensure you moisturize those hidden ends well? Or don't they dry out much, thanks to being somewhat covered, in which case it doesn't really matter?

My hair didn't dry out at all. When I oiled my scalp, the oil hit the cornrows, so I knew my hair was being well moisturized. And my hair never dried out because of the fact that it was covered and unexposed. My main complaint though was the fact I couldn't wash all the nitty gritties in my hair.
nuts.gif

I prefer to wear weaves because they last longer for me.My hair frizzes fast when braided, so unless someone is hooking me up for free, I know I won't get my money's worth. I think it's really down to what you prefer personally, because they are both great protective styles. But you have to be careful removing them, or you could lose alot of hair. I hate it when people rake through my braided hair with a tail end comb. I let my stylist cut out my tracks and I loose the braids myself. It takes a while and my arms get tired, but I get to keep all of my hair on my head and not in that dreadful comb

Back