Weave It Up Challenge 2017 (6 Month Edition)

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total):
I plan on wearing mine for 6-8 weeks. This is my first time wearing weave so I don't want to push it. If all goes well, I'll shoot for three months on my next install.

Why are you wearing sew-ins:
I am in love with wearing my hair curly, but wearing wash n gos consistently puts a lot of wear and tear on my ends. I bought some kinky-curly hair online that is nearly identical to my hair. Before the sew in I had to keep my hair pinned up most of the week in order to retain (boring! :drool:) Now I can wear and style the curly weave to my heart's content without worrying about over manipulating my natural hair.

Regimen:
I don't really have a regimen yet. This is my first install and I got it done less than a week ago. I plan to wash once a week.

Weave style/install hair:
Yvonne (Aliexpress vendor) kinky-curly 12 inch in a flip over install. I have about 3/4 an inch of my hairline left out around the entire perimeter so I can put it in a puff or do my signature roll-tuck-pin if I want.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
So far I've used 2Curls 1Mission styling creme and water on the extensions. I use a mix of olive/castor oil on my scalp. I haven't washed yet, but I bought the Girl + Hair wash day kit that I'm excited to try out.

End of challenge goal:
I would really like to grow back the 2-3 inches of hair that were hacked off in a bad Deva cut I received a few weeks ago. My second goal is to reach BSL. I am grazing APL right now.

Your top weave tip: (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past)

I'm a weave noob, so no insights from me! I'm hoping to soak up some knowledge from the ladies in this thread! Thank you @bluenvy for making this thread!

I'll come back with pics later.

EDIT: Finally got my pics together!
This first picture is of my natural hair about a week or two before I got my sew in.
IMG_3128.PNG

Here is a picture of the sew in, one day after I had it installed.
Sew In WNG.jpg
Pretty close, right?? Just a bit more length and volume. I actually prefer the haircut I did myself on the sew in over the expensive-a$$ devacut I got on my natural hair :(

Here's a closeup of my hairline.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Here is the hair pinned up in my go-to updo for work. I did this when the hair got super big and I didn't feel like re-styling the curls in the morning. It's a little frizzier than I normally like it but I was in a rush that morning...
IMG_3159.JPG
I'm so glad I left the perimeter out! I love my sew in so far :)

Last edited:
o_O You tricking me right

Looks exactly like your beautiful curls!

You did a good cut, you'll gain plenty of practice to trim and shape your own hair.
No more stylists hacking it off.

I plan on wearing mine for 6-8 weeks. This is my first time wearing weave so I don't want to push it. If all goes well, I'll shoot for three months on my next install.

I am in love with wearing my hair curly, but wearing wash n gos consistently puts a lot of wear and tear on my ends. I bought some kinky-curly hair online that is nearly identical to my hair. Before the sew in I had to keep my hair pinned up most of the week in order to retain (boring! :drool:) Now I can wear and style the curly weave to my heart's content without worrying about over manipulating my natural hair.

Regimen:
I don't really have a regimen yet. This is my first install and I got it done less than a week ago. I plan to wash once a week.

Yvonne (Aliexpress vendor) kinky-curly 12 inch in a flip over install. I have about 3/4 an inch of my hairline left out around the entire perimeter so I can put it in a puff or do my signature roll-tuck-pin if I want.

So far I've used 2Curls 1Mission styling creme and water on the extensions. I use a mix of olive/castor oil on my scalp. I haven't washed yet, but I bought the Girl + Hair wash day kit that I'm excited to try out.

End of challenge goal:
I would really like to grow back the 2-3 inches of hair that were hacked off in a bad Deva cut I received a few weeks ago. My second goal is to reach BSL. I am grazing APL right now.

Your top weave tip: (any insights you want to share if you've successfully retained length with weaves in the past)

I'm a weave noob, so no insights from me! I'm hoping to soak up some knowledge from the ladies in this thread! Thank you @bluenvy for making this thread!

I'll come back with pics later.

EDIT: Finally got my pics together!
This first picture is of my natural hair about a week or two before I got my sew in.
View attachment 400743

Here is a picture of the sew in, one day after I had it installed.
View attachment 400745
Pretty close, right?? Just a bit more length and volume. I actually prefer the haircut I did myself on the sew in over the expensive-a$$ devacut I got on my natural hair :(

Here's a closeup of my hairline.
View attachment 400747

Here is the hair pinned up in my go-to updo for work. I did this when the hair got super big and I didn't feel like re-styling the curls in the morning. It's a little frizzier than I normally like it but I was in a rush that morning...
View attachment 400751
I'm so glad I left the perimeter out! I love my sew in so far :)
Since you are first weave wearer like I will be, is there anything you don't like about wearing it so far? Im so scared that Im going to get it and take it out the same week because I don't like it.

Since you are first weave wearer like I will be, is there anything you don't like about wearing it so far? Im so scared that Im going to get it and take it out the same week because I don't like it.

First of all, let me say that your hair (in your sig pic) looks AMAZING :love: Hair goals!!!

Yes I have only ONE complaint/downside to report. It. Itches. Like. Crazy! The first couple days were awful. I wasn't sure if I would be able to take it for two months! But I kept applying oil to my scalp, and using my electric scalp massager, and now the itchiness is quite reduced. I think maybe my scalp was a little dry? Or maybe the install was just a little bit tight and now its loosened up a little? I'm not really sure how or why the itching got better but it did. It still itches a little here and there but I just use the rounded end of a bobby pin to get in there and rub gently where it itches, or I utilize the ol' "weave pat" method :fistshake: :lachen:I am going to try a ACV rinse step in my wash today and see if it further improves the itching. I read somewhere online that it helps.

Any weave veterans in here know why the itchiness happens or has a tried and true method to remedy it? Thanks!

Oh see idk about that itching

Yup. The itching is no picnic, that's for sure! But if it makes you feel any better, I washed my hair yesterday and the itching is totally gone now. The weave has loosened up a little, and I think that loosening allows my scalp to breathe more so the itching is gone. Plus my scalp is clean and well moisturized (I oiled it this morning) so it feels great!

I worked out twice this week so far. I was a little worried the sweat would either make my weave stank or send me back to itch city, but so far so good! I used my blow dryer on the cool setting for a couole minutes after my run, then applied my xcel/castor oil mix to my scalp and I feel fresh as a daisy! Im so glad I wasn't forced to wash again!

So I waited until the last minute to get my hair done any was super stressed. I have a wedding to go to Saturday and I didn't want to take any time off from work to get my hair done.

We have a superweave express here there is open 7 days a week. They have 50$ sew ins. I got a package with some extras and the cost was like 98$. Im super happy with my install.

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total): This is my first sew in so I'm not sure.

Why are you wearing sew-ins: I want a break from combing my own hair.

Regimen:
My regime will be to go get my hair washed and conditioned at the shop 2 weeks or so. I need to do some research on how to care for my hair while in a sew in.

I have Shes Happy Hair Peruvian Body Wave in 16 and 18 inches

Dont know yet

End of challenge goal:
My goal is just to put my hair away and give it a break.

Post a starting length picture; or describe starting length/condition:
will be back with pics.

Anybody have any tips or product recs to smooth curly weave hair? I know a lot of people use silicon mix to revive their weave. My hair is in OK condition right now, but it's starting to tangle a little at the ends and is a bit rougher than it was when I first got it. I want to make it last for at least one more month...

So I waited until the last minute to get my hair done any was super stressed. I have a wedding to go to Saturday and I didn't want to take any time off from work to get my hair done.

We have a superweave express here there is open 7 days a week. They have 50$ sew ins. I got a package with some extras and the cost was like 98$. Im super happy with my install.

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total): This is my first sew in so I'm not sure.

Why are you wearing sew-ins: I want a break from combing my own hair.

Regimen:
My regime will be to go get my hair washed and conditioned at the shop 2 weeks or so. I need to do some research on how to care for my hair while in a sew in.

I have Shes Happy Hair Peruvian Body Wave in 16 and 18 inches

Dont know yet

End of challenge goal:
My goal is just to put my hair away and give it a break.

Post a starting length picture; or describe starting length/condition:
will be back with pics.

That's a great deal! I spent $120 to get mine installed and it wasn't even at a salon but at someone's house. How does it feel so far? Is it comfortable?
I had a small amount of itching yesterday. Truthfully I barely notice it is there. I hate i left leave out. I plan to purchase a closure and use that next time.

No hair was added in to my braids because apparently my hair is thick lol. They said they didn't know how I hid all my hair in that little bun. I feel a little self conscious, but I think it's because it's my first weave.

I Have combed it every day and put rollers in it. I think im just having fun with it for now. I want curly hair next

@Pygmy_puff
When do you notice tangling, after you wash and dry?
How are you wrapping your hair at night?

The ends have started knotting together and I notice it when I'm brushing the hair with my denman. Since it's kinky curly hair I only brush when it's wet/damp with conditioner. :afro: The problem is I don't really have the patience to carefully work out the knots so I have been just ripping them out (ugh, I know) or cutting them with scissors. I'm thinking about trying the silicon mix because I want the hair to last and feel soft.

I usually sleep with either a satin bonnet or my satin pillowcase. :angel:

@Pygmy_puff

Have you tried twist/braid outs?
I dream of rocking bomb braid outs with kinky hair, and help lay the hair at night.

Darcy's Botanical Pumpkin Seed Conditioner is the most smoothing and moisturizing conditioner I've used.
It has protein at the bottom of ingredients, but it's still very moisturizing.
Don't know how it will hold up with weaves but I would def reach for it to combat tangles.

@bluenvy hmmm you know I haven't tried a braid out yet on my weave, what an excellent idea! I'm pretty lazy during the week, but I can probably try it on the weekend.

I have never tried that conditioner, but I definitely will try it on my natural hair when this weave comes out! I don't want to waste such a good quality conditioner on these extensions :giggle:. Thanks for the tip, though... I think you are on to something about the hair needing moisture to prevent tangles. Next wash day I'll use up the rest of a SM moisturizing mask that's been knocking around my cabinet to moisturize it before I DC it with the silicon mix. Hopefully that combo will moisturize, seal, and smooth the hair. We shall see!

Ok so regarding a fix for ratty weave: I did some research online. I found this product (thanks to our friends over at BHM) that's supposed to be some kind of weave-saving miracle. I ordered it and it came in the mail. I'll try it on my wefts after I take them out and let y'all know how it goes. It's not a treatment you can do on your weave while its attached to your head. I just wanted to share the link in case anyone else is interested in trying it in the meantime:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hair-Coat-P...FORMULA-/221978738731?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

If it works, I'm hoping it will make my cheap hair last through multiple installs!

doing the bump! how is everyone doing in their weaves?
i'm so irritated. i went to someone who is not my regular stylist and the install isn't well done. i'm gonna make it work but it's definitely not going to last that long.

Hey @Rocky91! I'm sorry you aren't happy with your install. I hope you can make the most of it and enjoy your style!

I'm still weaved up. My Yvonne kinky curly is getting even more rough and tangly in the nape area, but it's ok... Even though it feels terrible to the touch, it still looks good. And the rest of the hair is still smooth and soft. My mom came to visit this weekend and she had her hands all in there going "ohhh it's so soft and looks so real!" I will likely order the hair again.

I have been washing my hair with my Girl + Hair wash day kit every 1-2 weeks. I noticed that my braids are getting really loose under the sew in and the front of the install is gradually sliding back. I hope that means I have some growth under there!

I am still want to make it to the 8 week mark. I have about 3 weeks to go. :)

IMG_0488.JPG - this was taken in march before i got the current sewin.

• 8-10 weeks at a time ill be taking out this weave on sunday and getting a fresh weave in 2 weeks times, ive had this install for 10 weeks so far.

• To protect my hair and retain length and to stop styling my hair everyday as this just caused way too shedding and my hair was unhealthy

Regimen:

• Wash and deep condition every 2 weeks, moisturize and flat iron when needed

• Side part frontal sewin

• creme of nature moisturising shampoo , ors deep conditioner, jbco/olive oil mix , scurl moisturiser and a serum when flatironin

End of challenge goal:

• Full bra strap length

• Take your time when taking down a sewin I usually keep a day free so im not distracted. Make sure you throughly detangle before you wash your hair and be gentle.

So I tried coloring my extensions today. I don't think the color took at all. I'll have to wait until the curls are totally dry to see the true results but so far it looks as black as ever. I used this dye (the one in the middle):
Color%20Gloss%20trio_3D.jpg

Back