weave expert/wearers weigh in

ManeStreet

Hi Lovelies,

I need your help. I'm new in the area San Diego and I'm looking for a someone to do my weave. This is only my second weave I've ever had so there's been a learning curve. The first one was a good experience. I had great growth and retention. The lady who did my hair that time I found on craigslist. She does hair out of her home. It cost $85, I was in and out in 3 hours. The only issue is the environment, the home isn't inviting or that comfortable (or clean...) and she didn't style it well, she was raking rat-tail combs and hard brushes through my hair so I kindly paid her and went home to style it myself. She's very nice and a great braider though.

So the the 2nd time around I may want more of a professional experience. So, I've been searching around and I've found some other options. Can you please check out this link below, I am considering this stylist. I'm not truly in love with the photos but I like her FAQS and "About Me" sections, she sounds very professional. It sounds like she knows healthy hair care. But I'm not 100% sure about going forward and making the appointment. Plus, the price is $250 which is considerably more than last time. I'm not even sure if that price is reasonable. But I have no problem paying if I know I will love my results and the overall experience. Maybe with weaves it's a situation of "you get what you pay for..." Let me know your opinons, thanks.

http://www.hairbyjmoli.com/#/faq/4533027972

Last edited:
For $250, her styling and everything needs to be on point!! I'd keep looking. Ask other women you see with good weaves who did their hair as well. For $250, I better be hitting a jig when I walk out of that shop. I'm not impressed with the after photos, either.

Last edited:
First, what hair were you planning on using for the install? Second, her weaves imo are not worth $250 and third, like Your Cheeziness mentioned, look somewhere else.

Yeah I think $250 is definately high. For my first install I did Bohyme Brazilian wave and this time I'm installing Hair Esthetics Kinky straight.

There's not many options down in San Diego. It's a two hour drive to Los Angeles. Maybe I might have to look up that way. Yikes...

$250 is too much. Just my opinion. If you are bringing your own hair, I think you should be able to find someone around $145. Is styling necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I had $50-ish dollar weaves and I was lucky I didn't lose all my hair.
The stylist in question braided too tight. Didn't detangle OR remove shed hair. Relaxed my full head of hair on the same day as a weave.....horrible. I was lucky I found a stylist who cares about healthy hair not too long after that experience.

The main thing is not price. It is REFERALS! and HEALTHY HAIR CARE being the stylist's primary goal for you.

Darn a "style" if you are gonna be bald afterwards.

Check her references and meet for a consultation BEFORE YOU LET HER TOUCH YOUR HAIR.

If I see another "stylist made me bald thread"....I'm gonna lose it.

I hate to see us get ripped off AND get out hair ruined.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

50 dollars is a bit low. You're asking someone to put time and care into braiding your hair, sewing hair to it and styling it. Don't expect the best at that rate - exception - if its a high volume business where one person braids, the stylist sews in and they make their money on client volume.

Back