Weave Color Matching Hair Color

blksndrlla

How do you ladies get your weave to match your hair color so well?

I want to get a sew-in...again (w/ a different stylist), but I am scared about matching my hair color... The last time it was too light. I bought a 4 since that is what my stylist and the sales lady recommended. (That was milky way hair :nono:) I plan on getting the Goddess Remi (inspired by Soleil185 and Nichi) this go round.

When I was younger I was a 4 and I used a 4 for my kinky twist. Also, my natural hair is lighter than my relaxed hair... I haven't seen to many full-head sew-ins that don't look real wiggy to me...so, I was opting for a partial. I also planned on ordering the hair online b/c I don't care for the attitudes in my local BSS and don't want to support their business...

Should I flat iron it to match?

All advice welcomed....

*I did a search on this and came up empty handed*

Last edited:
I always buy 1B. One brands 4 isn't always the same color as another brand's 4. That goes for all the colors actually. You have 2 options - buy the color that matches your hair or dye the weave to match your hair. Well technically 3 - or dye your hair but I wouldn't recommend that. I would ask the stylist what color you should get. Don't listen to the sales people. You can't always tell in the store bc of the lighting. The stylist will have seen your hair before without products they should know what color will be the best.

I've been using jet black #1 for years and since I have a black rinse obviously its an easy match...but you can always dye your weave to match your hair....hth

I got a weave a few weeks ago and to save on the color matching I went a new route. This time I bought a color blend. I bought 1b for bottom and 1b/30 for the top. The blend distracts from the exact color match. I'll post a pic later.

Can't wait to see the pics of the blend....Maybe this will be my solution!

Lord know's I don't know anything about dying weave...

and have never colored my hair...

thanks for all of the suggestions ladies...

My goodness weave is a lot of work...lol. No more judging bad looking weaves for me....okay, maybe.

Last edited:
I always just hold the weave hair against my own B4 I purchase... I usually end up getting a 1b or 2...1s are usually too dark for me... and 4's can be a tad too brown.

Ok, I say go to your BSS even though you dislike them and look through their weave. Physically match the hair to yours and see what fits well. I try not to get super silky weave, it tends to look well.. fake, (ironic, i know). Get hair that looks like what your flat ironed hair would look like. Goddess Remi did well for me; in 1B.

When I was relaxed my hair was a different color too. Can you post a pic of what your hair color looks like. It seems like yours might be similar to my friend's and I can show you a pic of hers if your hair is similar to what I'm thinking.

You're relaxed so I dont always think you have to flat iron it to match. A blow dry and wrap may even be a better choice at times. You can perhaps just flat iron the roots or at least dont do multiple passes on the relaxed ends.

Ok, I say go to your BSS even though you dislike them and look through their weave. Physically match the hair to yours and see what fits well. I try not to get super silky weave, it tends to look well.. fake, (ironic, i know). Get hair that looks like what your flat ironed hair would look like. Goddess Remi did well for me; in 1B.

When I was relaxed my hair was a different color too. Can you post a pic of what your hair color looks like. It seems like yours might be similar to my friend's and I can show you a pic of hers if your hair is similar to what I'm thinking.

You're relaxed so I dont always think you have to flat iron it to match. A blow dry and wrap may even be a better choice at times. You can perhaps just flat iron the roots or at least dont do multiple passes on the relaxed ends.

Thanks for all of the tips...Here are 2 pics of my hair color...The problem with the 4 is it was too red...

these were earlier in my transition...i'm 16 months post now...

S6300065-1.jpg

S6300210.jpg

i think your hair is pretty, chica.

ok, i think what i was thinking was slightly similar. my friend has colored hair and finding hair color to match hers was an issue, esp. with it being 'too red'. Here are some of her pics, please ignore the other ppl in the pic.

shes on the right, here's a close up
9123_982433158990_7935635_55894104_1164193_n.jpg

in the blazer:
10129_993887738920_7935635_56314007_8264816_n.jpg

other hair close ups
6256_660727390226_37501041_37983041_5978633_n.jpg

5976_654956964206_37501041_37763849_1085867_n.jpg

if you think this is close, let me know and I'll ask her what she buys, it's different from the brand I use, but it definitely lasts long too.

i think your hair is pretty, chica.

ok, i think what i was thinking was slightly similar. my friend has colored hair and finding hair color to match hers was an issue, esp. with it being 'too red'. Here are some of her pics, please ignore the other ppl in the pic.

if you think this is close, let me know and I'll ask her what she buys, it's different from the brand I use, but it definitely lasts long too.

Thanks for the compliment! If you wouldn't mind asking her, I would definitely appreciate it! Sorry to be such a hassle.

ok i just got off the phone with her and she said interestingly the hair that worked best for her was Milky Way Saga in 1B33. She wanted me to make clarify it's NOT Milky Way Saga Gold. She said there's a major difference. She mentioned in her thorough search that brands matter and even LINES within brands make a difference.

Good luck and i hope this helps

ok i just got off the phone with her and she said interestingly the hair that worked best for her was Milky Way Saga in 1B33. She wanted me to make clarify it's NOT Milky Way Saga Gold. She said there's a major difference. She mentioned in her thorough search that brands matter and even LINES within brands make a difference.

Good luck and i hope this helps

Ok...thanks a bunch. Looks like I will be spending some quality time at the BSS...

Back