Weave Bar - Would You Try this?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Mirror, Mirror: Express weaves save customers money and time
May 18, 2011|By Elizabeth Wellington, Inquirer Fashion Writer

The Weave Bar in West Philly doesn't open until 9 a.m., but many women - and some men - start lining up at 7 against a backdrop of fried fish restaurants and African braid shops to snag the precious first walk-in appointment of the day.

Most come with their tresses already washed and blown out; some have bags of hair stashed in pocketbooks. Why are they so excited?

Because once they hop in the chair, they'll be out in 90 minutes. And - get this - prices start at $50 for a whole head full of long, luxurious, silken hair. For women who have spent hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours waiting for extensions, the Weave Bar is akin to, well, haute heaven.

"I used to drive up to New York on the regular to get my hair done," said Jonesy, WUSL Power 99's popular morning-show host. "But ever since I started going [to the Weave Bar], I haven't gone back up. They do such a good job and most importantly, they really value my time. And as a working woman, my time is valuable."

Jonesy, who is rocking a kinky, curly do that falls to the middle of her back, illustrates the latest trend in black hair care: the express weave service. Arrive with clean and blow-dried hair, and choose from a menu of a la carte services that includes ponytails, cuts, and weaving. At a one-stop shop, you can also buy your hair there. Some days are walk-ins. But if you have an appointment (available at the Weave Bar Mondays through Wednesdays), you can get out in the time it takes for a long lunch.

This "Hair Cuttery for weaves" model, started in Georgia, has recently blossomed for two main reasons: On-the-go women - of all races - like layered, lengthy locks. Like it or not, weaves have become mainstream. The woman sitting next to you may even be wearing one.

Secondly, the tough economy forced African American salon owners to rethink their business plans as an increasing number of both well-heeled and younger customers were no longer willing to spend time and money in a place that sometimes forced its clients to wait all day for unsatisfactory service.

"We are pushing a new concept of a salon here," said Yolanda Bailey, the 29-year-old mother of two and real estate agent who in February opened the Weave Bar with her husband, Mahari.

Since then, the business (Bailey is not a hair stylist) has serviced close to 2,500 customers, some of whom travel from as far away as Washington. She's earned back most of her $40,000 investment, and she's eyeing a second location in North Philadelphia.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-05-18/news/29556230_1_hair-stylist-weaves-salon

So, would you go to a place like this?

I was toying with the idea of getting a weave this summer as a PS, but the idea of spending $1,000 and hours in the chair, is more than I can stand. So if I could be in and out in under 2 hours, I would absolutely consider it.

I dunno about that, I can appreciate the time and money saving aspect but Im concerned about the technique used and how well my hair will thrive underneath, how long it lasts and things of that nature. If is installed well and lasts long with no damage then I may consider it but I feel like its a SuperCuts for the weave world. I have to give her her credit though because yes we are in a recession and not everyone can afford Reneice type prices or $5,000 weaves or able to sit for hours upon end to get the intstallation done. I would try it at least once so I know there is a good and acceptable place to go if I am low on funds or pressed for time.... I like how clients can come with washed and braided patterns for the install already so really, unless they install it in a crappy manner, it would be rather hard to mess your hair up because you can treat and condition your hair before you go in and the only thing they have control over is sewing the weave onto the braids... I still am going try to get in for Reneice, I HIGHLY doubtthey are spitting out weaves of her caliber....:look:

I went there, and I didn't have to line up in any line. The weave was AAARIGHT but nothing for me to stand in line for. The stylist took much longer than 90 mins, and it was from that weave that my hair became thin and the sides got damaged. Reniece is of a much higher caliber, but then again, she is also much more expensive.

BTW, they advertise $50 but I didn't see that kind of pricing. I think I paid $90 for net/basic install plus hair. Ran me $350 in the end.

Last edited:
I went there, and I didn't have to line up in any line. The weave was AAARIGHT but nothing for me to stand in line for. The stylist took much longer than 90 mins, and it was from that weave that my hair became thin and the sides got damaged. Reniece is of a much higher caliber, but then again, she is also much more expensive.

EXACTY!!! But, you get what you pay for, and I'm willing to pay for Reniece...

BTW, they advertise $50 but I didn't see that kind of pricing. I think I paid $90 for net/basic install plus hair. Ran me $350 in the end.

See, they aint say all that.... lol But I figured as much, I wouldnt WANT someone to be able to do my weave in 90 min, that means they are cutting corners and doing something wrong and wrong on MY head is UNACCEPTABLE...:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

See, they aint say all that.... lol But I figured as much, I wouldnt WANT someone to be able to do my weave in 90 min, that means they are cutting corners and doing something wrong and wrong on MY head is UNACCEPTABLE...:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Actually, their website says most installs will take 2-3 hours. The article seems to promise something they don't even claim on their website.

The starting pricing is $50 for install...but that goes up as well to $90 if you want a net and other extras. None of those prices include the price of hair either.

Here is a link to the prices...along with the a la carte pricing:
http://www.theweavebar.com/services.html

Yeah I see it and 2-3 hours makes a little more sense if you come with your hair already washed and cornrowed and definately possible for a ponytail and certain bonded styles ( which I would never do anyway ) it still seems rushed though for those coming in getting the entire service. But like I said, I do like the idea and I would possibly try it once, but it would have to be better than my own install in order to get me to go back....

speedy weaves? that may be appealing to those that don't realize the possibilities of bad technique leading to damage.

Yeah I see it and 2-3 hours makes a little more sense if you come with your hair already washed and cornrowed and definately possible for a ponytail and certain bonded styles ( which I would never do anyway ) it still seems rushed though for those coming in getting the entire service. But like I said, I do like the idea and I would possibly try it once, but it would have to be better than my own install in order to get me to go back....

If you can do your own installs, why would you go to someone else? I know I can't do my own (nor would I try) - of course part of it that I don't know how to cornrow. LOL

The other thing is really, when my original stylist worked on my hair without distractions, she was able to do full weaves in about 2-3 hours, so I don't think the timing is really as big a deal as they make it. What generally tended to drag a session out was when she was trying to do more than just one head a time. That 2-3 hours included cornrowing the hair, basting the hair down and sewing in the tracks.

Also, this place requires only clean hair and blown dry - you don't have to have it already cornrowed.

i don't think i'd venture near unless there are honest customer reviews to help convince me (actually, for me, this is true for any hair-related service )

No, I would not trust a $50 weave. I often see posts on craigslist advertising $50 weave installs but the photos always look like the customers are wearing awful wigs.

If I were to wear a sew-in weave again, I'd go to someone like Reniece who cares about the health of the hair under the weave.

If you can do your own installs, why would you go to someone else? I know I can't do my own (nor would I try) - of course part of it that I don't know how to cornrow. LOL

Doing your own hair is far different than doing others... For some styles it can be easier but mor others, more difficult. The sewing prtion of the sew-in is not my problem, its the braided pattern that takes forever and I I have to be on my feet in my bathroom mirror with my arms contorted in varying angles with a bruised sternum that never healed correctly... It's difficult to say the least. My mom just bought a vanity for my bedroom for Mothers Day where I can sit to apply my make up and do my hair and all and it has 3 mirrors that I can angle to see around my head so maybe the installation process will be better but it does take me forever when I do my own hair, just like when I do my own micros....

The other thing is really, when my original stylist worked on my hair without distractions, she was able to do full weaves in about 2-3 hours, so I don't think the timing is really as big a deal as they make it. What generally tended to drag a session out was when she was trying to do more than just one head a time. That 2-3 hours included cornrowing the hair, basting the hair down and sewing in the tracks.

That's good for your stylist, I'm not saying it should take 6-8 hours for a sew in but I dont want to feel like I am just a number and the health of my hair is not priority #1...

Also, this place requires only clean hair and blown dry - you don't have to have it already cornrowed.

I know you dont have to have your hair cornrowed, the article said that some women choose to come in with their hair already braided and all the tech has to do is sew it on, that is what I was referring to.

It sounds to me like you have your mind made up to try it though, I'm sure you are a very intelligent woman and wouldnt let someone up in your hair to mess up your HHJ so IF you do decide to try it, I hope to see some real pretty pics....:yep: Thanks for the info on the salon though because I never heard of it....

I know you dont have to have your hair cornrowed, the article said that some women choose to come in with their hair already braided and all the tech has to do is sew it on, that is what I was referring to.

It sounds to me like you have your mind made up to try it though, I'm sure you are a very intelligent woman and wouldnt let someone up in your hair to mess up your HHJ so IF you do decide to try it, I hope to see some real pretty pics....:yep: Thanks for the info on the salon though because I never heard of it....

Oh I don't plan to use this service AT ALL. I wore weaves for 8+ years and came to LHCF to try to repair the damage from doing so.

However, I find the idea intriguing because so many people still feel like weaves are a protective style. With the number of services aimed at offering access to the masses at a lower price, why not do it with weaves? I'm glad to see an AA woman design and pull off the concept.

Thanks for clarifying the cornrow point.

I've been to the weave bar. I got a weave with some hair left out on the front .sides and back so I could pull it into a ponytail when I wanted. I got a net but will never do that again because I teach group fitness and sweat a ton everyday and felt that I couldn't properly wash my scalp. Other than that, I think the person who did my hair did a great job. She was done in a timely manner but I didn't feel like she rushed or cut corners. Oh, I also wouldn't get my hair from them again, I'm a huge fan of Saga Gold and felt that it tangled a lot less than their hair did.

I just came back from the weave bar as a walk-in. I didn't have to wait at all. Walked right in and got braided. I had already washed and dried at home as I was not about to fight some teenage wash girl pulling through my transitioning hair with a fine tooth comb! The braids were flat, not too tight, and they did not add hair to it like I've seen at a lot of salons or went through the torture of taking out friends' weaves with all that mess in it. The young lady that did my braids was rather quick as well. She examined what I was to get done so she knew how to braid it and if she didn't know she asked a stylist and they took the time to demonstrate and explain to me and the braider; that was appreciated.

I purchased hair from them when I got there because I wanted to try the brand and they were having a discount on it anyways. It matched my hair color perfectly which does not always work out when you're in the 4 range. I have left over hair so I can compare it to the same quality but for less money at a bss, so no biggy there.

My stylist examined the pics I had and asked how I expected the style to hold up as I wore it...like my activities (working out, swimming, etc.), so that the layout would be feasible.

I saw the $50 sewn-ins (Signature) and it's the very basic. When I want something simple, I would get it. The end results of what I saw from what people came in with was nothing short of a miracle! LOL :lachen: As the $50 did not require a specific style but just a part and a trimming of the weave leaving some of your hair out for coverage as you like. I did not see lumps and bumps. The end results were very pretty and that's what I saw mostly getting done today.

I got the next level of service which was $65 (Deluxe). This is if you want more style and a "cut". I got long layers with a swooping bang. My time was just under 2 1/2 hours from braid to finish.

I also saw them work on 2 all natural heads. They just had a wash and curl and their hair was swinging!!! :rocker: 1 lady brought in her own products (Qhemet). From what I saw they used Baby Bliss flat iron.

I heard 2 of the stylists (within ear-shot) explain to the ladies about what they could do to keep from applying heat to the left out hair but maintain blendable styles; so thumbs up to that. 1 also explained how they could maintain THEIR hair at home. If they didn't want to do it at home, they can come in for $40 maintenance (wash, tightening, re-done front, etc.).

Most of the stylists were weaved up but they were all a mix of natural, transitioning to relaxed and used weaving themselves as a protective style.

So in summary, I WILL go back (especially as they are less then 5 mins from my place, I can wash and dry my own hair (with protein treatment for strength), and some stylist are about hair health and not just looks) because to me it's worth it and it boils down to how you take care of your hair underneath. You're hair is in cornrows so I'm not sure how you get damaged hair from a sewn-in. The tracks are sewn on top and the hair is light so not sure how one's hair thins. If you can't tell the braider to not braid tight or take care of your hair underneath then...(shrugs). Other than that, I'm not a complainer...if someone is doing what I can't do and it saves me time and promotes hair health I can compromise the not so perfect service. But this place gets an A+ from me between my stylist and the end result and the weeks ahead of me not having to deal with my hair.

So I'm about to go "Surge" :lick: (yes I still have a few bottles hostage) underneath and put some castor oil on my edges and enjoy. Already got thumbs up from the boyfriend who won't stop touching it and saying that it doesn't look wiggy. Quality of hair is key. If a customer comes in with some cheap, non-color matching mess, it's not the stylist fault, as they work with what they are given.

I tried to cover everything, that's why I'm doing this right after I returned from the shop. Just send me a message if you want to know more on anything I did not address.

Happy Hair Health Ladies!!!

I have been to a blow bar in Tampa. They use high end products,wash abd style you. No cutting and quick.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SGH-T959V

These were taken with an old cell (started synching the other cell when I got in). I will take better and detailed pics (up close with overlay and braid pattern underneath). I know how you LHCF ladies are :spinning: (and that's why I love yall)!

This was a long layered cut (about 6 oz 12 inch weave) with a swooping bang just below the shoulders. I wanted to hit right at the shoulders when I curl it tighter. I have less then 1/2 inch out on the sides and hairline and about an inch and 1/2 out in the middle. Even though I have a swooping bang, I asked for the hairline to be left out so that I can pull it back off my face when I wanted to. I asked for the bare minimum out as I wanted less to deal with for heat blending until I do braid outs on it more later on.

So for $65, walk-in, no wait, under 2 1/2 hours, no hair added to mines for braiding, 4 blocks from my place, and 6 - 8 weeks (or even 12 weeks) of hair retention, limited heat, get up and go for work and play, aaaaaaaannnnnnd my guy likes it :drunk: I'm happy. :yep:

And no, I am not naked in the last 2 pics! I forgot to put on the A/C before I left and changed into a tube top and house shorts a lil after I got in.

Attachments

• IMG00142-20110710-1538.jpg
    IMG00142-20110710-1538.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG00144-20110710-1538.jpg
    IMG00144-20110710-1538.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG00158-20110710-1606.jpg
    IMG00158-20110710-1606.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG00154-20110710-1604.jpg
    IMG00154-20110710-1604.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 33
as long as my stylist takes, I would love two hours for a weave. I can pretty much style my hair on my own. Sometimes I just need the installation of the weave, and not all of the works. I have visited a place like this here in Detroit. However, it is not $50 :(

Back