Weave and swimming?

Channy31

I'm going travelling for about 3 months around Australia, Bali, New Zealand etc. and I adore swimming so will be spending probably every day doing something in the water.

But, I was thinking of getting a curly weave during my travels for a number of reasons. But, would it look crazy whilst I'm swimming?

P.s. no I will not be wearing a swimming cap.

Last edited:
I would opt for braids or Senegalese twists. You'd enjoy your many adventures instead of styling and detangling your hair. IMO, Weave is already high maintenance and curly hair is even more work. I've heard enough weave + swimming horror stories to keep me away.

Have fun! I'm so jealous :)

Sent from my LG G2 via LHCF app

I am glad you aske this question op...becuase I am going to jamacia for vacay and plan on spending all my time on the beach and swimming so hopefully someone has a good suggestion!

I would opt for braids or Senegalese twists. You'd enjoy your many adventures instead of styling and detangling your hair. IMO, Weave is already high maintenance and curly hair is even more work. I've heard enough weave + swimming horror stories to keep me away.

Have fun! I'm so jealous :)

Sent from my LG G2 via LHCF app

I'm scared that braids will pull my hair out though!
I'm not sure if I should just wear my natural hair.. hm

I tried a curly weave in FL. that salt water will jack up your hair and make detangling a beast. By day 3 my hair stayed in a pony because detangling was such a hassle

what about wearing a upart instead of a sew in weave? That way u can just remove the wig and swim to your hearts content without having to detangle the hair

I would not. All the chlorine and pool chemicals is asking for a set back. You will need to chelate and then dc every time you leave the pool. Impossible to manage under tracks.

Its difficult to chelate the scalp underneath the tracks. Also because the hair is cornrowed and tracks sewn on top, it will be impossible to even chelate the length of your strands. Chelating is also drying so thoroughly DCing will be impossible too.

You could come back from that trip with massive damage and breakage and needing to bc. You won't know until the install comes down.

Opt for braids or Senegalese or your own hair instead.

I tried a curly weave in FL. that salt water will jack up your hair and make detangling a beast. By day 3 my hair stayed in a pony because detangling was such a hassle

But I'm either going to wear my natural hair or a weave. I can bin the weave if it comes to it but if my natural hair becomes matted then there isn't a lot I can do.

Im really not sure what other options I have tbh.

what about wearing a upart instead of a sew in weave? That way u can just remove the wig and swim to your hearts content without having to detangle the hair

I don't really like U-parts and I'm not sure I see that as an option. I'll be backpacking for around 3 months so I won't get the chance/ have the products to make it look good :(

I would not. All the chlorine and pool chemicals is asking for a set back. You will need to chelate and then dc every time you leave the pool. Impossible to manage under tracks.

Its difficult to chelate the scalp underneath the tracks. Also because the hair is cornrowed and tracks sewn on top, it will be impossible to even chelate the length of your strands. Chelating is also drying so thoroughly DCing will be impossible too.

You could come back from that trip with massive damage and breakage and needing to bc. You won't know until the install comes down.

Opt for braids or Senegalese or your own hair instead.

So you recommend I wear it natural, the thing is I won't be able to DC anyway tbh since I can't carry big products in my backpack. Ive been on holiday before swam in salt and chlorine filled water everyday before and my natural hair was fine (my relaxed ends were not though!) and that was before I knew clarifying etc. existed.

I'm planning on getting two-three inches of hair chopped off before I go, but maybe it would be worth waiting till after instead then.

I've created a new thread called "hair whilst backpacking" where I'm asking for more advice I may get this one deleted

I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm going to warm/clear water climate and I think swimming will be the bizznass.

I'm going to get a wig. I'm going to wear my natural hair but on vaca, feel like my hair won't dry quick enough to go beach/swim in the afternoon and be dry and fierce by night.

I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm going to warm/clear water climate and I think swimming will be the bizznass.

I'm going to get a wig. I'm going to wear my natural hair but on vaca, feel like my hair won't dry quick enough to go beach/swim in the afternoon and be dry and fierce by night.
I'm doing this now and I've done it before. However, I get my wig sewn down. I had zero issues.

I went on a beach holiday with my hair in a weave- a straight bob and I vowed never again. There was sand all up in my hair and even though (maybe because) it was super hot- temp wise, it never dried properly at the roots (I didn't have a blow drier with me). My head/ hair felt trapped.

I've done crochet braids away- they're good. Braids were ok but mine were long for me in Africa heat- it was too much to wear down.

Back