Weave aficionados, I need your help!

DVAntDany

While I wait for my hair to grow long, I still want to play around with some length. So, I'd like to get a sew in. I know the easiest way to blend is to simply get a texture that mimics my own. Check! I've already found one. Its kinky coily by Yvonne Hair.

I really don't want plastered hair trying to blend my shorter length with the extensions. Before I settle on installing the hair in the Ivy Flip Over Method, I'd like to give the look/cut posted below a try. I want my own hair to be the shortest layer. What length of bundles do you think I need and how many? I'd hate to buy a lot of long ones just to cut them shorter. The longest I can find of the kinky coily is in 26 inches.

The plan is for me to install it myself. Then stop by Ulta and get it cut. I want the weave to be as long as possible. I'm willing to throw a little of the kinky curly in the back to get extra length, but that hair is easily made more shiny than the kinky coily with most products. So, I'm still debating on that.

My hair as of today
My hair today.jpg

The cut I'm going for
Shape of Cut 3.jpgShape of cut 1.jpgShape of cut 2.jpgLong hair short layers.jpgProfile of cut.jpgLayers from the back.jpg1700s hair style inspo.jpg

Technically this cut looks like a 17th century European male aristocrat, but I'm here for it.
1700s hair style.jpg

The cut in action

Last edited:
I cut off pieces of the wefts so that I can easily maneuver the hair and show you all the textures.

Hair Texture Lineup
BEF2E61D-851D-47BE-978D-99731E4D1750.jpeg
Left to right (from loosest to tightest): Afro Kinky Curly, Kinky Curly and Kinky Coily. All 16 inches. The Afro Kinky Curly and Kinky Curly have mousse on them and shrunk up more. Both are very silky and have shine. The Kinky Coily has gel on it and still doesn’t have the shine of the other two. With mousse, the Kinky Coily has less shine, more puffiness and shrinks up more. All products were applied in a raking motion.

816A0809-5ADF-473D-B276-66EC5B019180.jpeg
Left to right: Kinky Curly vs Kinky Coily

9F2623B9-9429-4AF4-918D-36703330AEED.jpeg
Kinky Coily

2EF87438-858B-4A0A-B56E-E9517870E098.jpeg
I’m 5’4” with a slightly long neck. 16” Kinky Coily placed on nape of neck. Don’t know why I curved it around the base of my nape. My wng is 4 days old and I used a soft gel that doesn’t have a hard cast. So less definition and shine than my hair is capable of.

D7CD2166-DA58-4BF3-B56D-07B31FE35EA0.jpeg
Left side: Kinky Coily extension
Right side: my hair

8C4304FE-61C4-492B-8347-B10F248D1E3A.jpeg
Left Side: my hair
Right side: Kinky Coily extension. 16” is not much longer than my top hair

CB1D3100-AD79-4AB2-8931-A012AE5856CE.jpeg
This is from 8 years ago with me wearing Kinky Curly in 22 inches in the flip over method. I had my whole perimeter left out. The curl pattern looks pretty much the same. If my memory serves me right, it laid around bra strap length. I think the hair company said that the Kinky Coily while in its curly state hangs about 4" shorter than the Kinky Curly.

Back