Water Based Mosturizers for 4a/b do they work for you?

Dymondz7

I'm a transitioning 4a. I've been wearing a sew in weave for the past 18 months. And I'm going to begin wearing my natural hair in October (Yeah!). I've been experimenting a lot with different products. Actually I've turned into a serious PJ who is in need of an intervention :driver: (me on the way to the BSS) - it's caught up with my shoe obession!

Anyway I experiment alot with the edges of my hair that are left out to cover the tracks. I'm finding mosturizers that have water as the main ingredient work great on my wet hair, but when I use them on my dry hair water based mosturizers simply make my hair hard with a lot of shrinkage. Oil based mosturizers seem to work fine and help to keep my hair supple.

Do other 4a/b's have this issue? If so what do you use on your dry hair to provide daily mosture?

I like Keracare for moisture. Either the light headress or the moisturizer with Jojoba depending on what I need.

water is my best friend, but everyone's hair is different, find what works for you by experimenting

I am relaxed and they only really work while my hair is wet. Yes, maybe one day between washes I can apply some to the ends, but other than that they just get in the way and leave my hair feeling too heavy and dirty.

I really like Keracare for moisture but I did have great results with ORS olive oil in a jar. It stopped working for me mid way through but it was good when I used it

If it's too watery it won't work. ORS and one of those kemi oyl creams were too watery and dried my hair out!!

I love water based moisturizers for my hair. I use creamy ones when my hair is wet and spritz ones when I'm dry.

Dymondz, you hair may be different than mines, but its possible that it isn't the water-based moisturizer that is making your hair hard, it's highly possible it's the protein content within that moisturizer that is making your hair hard. I find this is the case with my moisturizers. my hair absolutely softens when i use water based spray or creme moisturizers, i just have to be sure that protein is not in them, or it is waaaay down the list of ingredients. My favs are UBH Dew and creme which contains no protein, or eQP Recovery oil, eQP mango butter... try those...

Dymondz7 said:
I'm a transitioning 4a. I've been wearing a sew in weave for the past 18 months. And I'm going to begin wearing my natural hair in October (Yeah!). I've been experimenting a lot with different products. Actually I've turned into a serious PJ who is in need of an intervention :driver: (me on the way to the BSS) - it's caught up with my shoe obession!

Anyway I experiment alot with the edges of my hair that are left out to cover the tracks. I'm finding mosturizers that have water as the main ingredient work great on my wet hair, but when I use them on my dry hair water based mosturizers simply make my hair hard with a lot of shrinkage. Oil based mosturizers seem to work fine and help to keep my hair supple.

Do other 4a/b's have this issue? If so what do you use on your dry hair to provide daily mosture?

Mizani_Mrs said:
Dymondz, you hair may be different than mines, but its possible that it isn't the water-based moisturizer that is making your hair hard, it's highly possible it's the protein content within that moisturizer that is making your hair hard. I find this is the case with my moisturizers. my hair absolutely softens when i use water based spray or creme moisturizers, i just have to be sure that protein is not in them, or it is waaaay down the list of ingredients. My favs are UBH Dew and creme which contains no protein, or eQP Recovery oil, eQP mango butter... try those...

The bolded items are two of my favs too. I didnt think they were water based though.:ohwell:

shunta said:
Hey Tee, Im lovin' your new siggy. Just beautiful!!:D

Shunta...Thanks. I wanted something different. lol I am just trying to figure out if it's too big. :perplexed

Back